Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 03:19 UTC

I don't need your help I have a care robot..Robotics future sooner than we think.  

"much of the current excitement has been prompted by a new generation of complex, humanoid robots.

These droids can do your dusting, entertain your children or play cocktail waiter at your parties — all while carrying on a witty conversation.

Experts say similar robots could soon replace humans in many jobs, from nurse to estate agent.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4166054/We-test-new-breed-robots.html#ixzz4X1TUl0vB Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4166054/We-test-new-breed-robots.html

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 10:33 UTC

This change is coming... and fast. I've often thought about this recently and I think it will come from a slightly unexpected angle - not for convenience, but for insurance purposes.

For example, take the heavy road transport industry. Insurance is a necessity to protect business from catastrophic loss (and often a legislated requirement). Insurers have to take into account the level of risk when setting a premium. No matter how well trained and experienced a driver is, they are prone to lapses in concentrations, fatigue, errors in judgement and limitations due to illness or injury. Enter a self driving truck (a robot on wheels), that executes the same work without limitations, without getting tired, with more situational awareness and without making mistakes.

It becomes simple mathematics.The risk of a self driving truck causing damage and loss is less than a human operated one. Therefore the insurance premium for a self driving truck becomes lower by comparison. Combined with the ability of a self driving truck to essentially work 24/7, eventually, a tipping point will be reached where it becomes uneconomic to run a heavy road transport business without self driving trucks. This will happen far quicker than when internal combustion driven trucks replaced horse drawn carts.

You could apply this line of thinking to nearly every unskilled or semi-skilled service currently dependant on human labour.

As for personal assistance droids, I think these may take a little longer to be ubiquitous in society. Currently, they are primarilly limited by power. However, once the next advances in battery technology occurs (again, not far away), there will undoubtedly be big leaps forward.

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 11:00 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:37 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: "This user no longer wishes to be associated with a tin pot banana republic"

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 19:55 UTC

These are still weak AIs. It's basically Siri plus a Roomba on a platform designed to look vaguely humanoid. Other than the UI, this kind of robotics has been steadily replacing humans for simple task execution for a long time now.