Feb 5, 17 / Pis 08, 01 23:32 UTC

Re: plastics in sea  

Makes me think we should work faster at getting Asgardia off the ground.

Feb 6, 17 / Pis 09, 01 10:08 UTC

at times like these i am ashamed to be a human. not to mention all the plastic bags out there in the ocean we also use microplastics in cosmetics and clothes and such. they are a great threat to the environment. many skin care products use tiny plastic particles to smoothen the skin and clean the pores. conditioners and shampoos use plastics to strengthen your hair and giving it the shiny look. not to mention deodorants. i never used them while swimming in the ocean or a lake but i know it's still a tradition in my country to live alongside the water and everything we put on ourselves basically ends up in the ocean. clams used to be my favourite food but nowdays they're more and more expensive because the clam populations are dying before they reach their adulthood. due the pollution they are not able to build their shells properly and end up deformed and die. honestly i cried over this whale, since it's a such pity.

Feb 7, 17 / Pis 10, 01 01:56 UTC

I explored launching a project to help clean up the Oceans using latest Tech but when I researched I found it many already exist.

many resources and info here "There is an the seventh continent that is a third of the size of the United States but completely uninhabited. And for good reason, since it consists of an accumulation of plastic waste in the oceans."

"300 million metric tons of plastic are produced each year and almost 10% end up in the ocean. (source: lemonde.fr)"

https://www.bing.com/search?q=7th+continent+plastic+in+sea&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=7th+continent+plastic+in+&sc=0-25&sk=&cvid=B98AE63154D546E9ADA284A9433A9241

Feb 18, 17 / Pis 21, 01 23:25 UTC

Plastics can be converted to a liquid form and be used as a crude oil, gasoline, and kerosene. How about instead of just being in the sky, having a floating city which is more realistic at the moment and then from the floating city have a port which can be launch from into space? There's also the possibility of building in space as well to save on fuel and using alternative methods for space travel like reverse magnetism as an example or the use of electromagnetic energy to travel instead of fuel.

Plastics do pose a problem to earth but, it is an old way of life which needs to evolve on a new level. Perhaps a new biodegradable material similar to plastic which is easy to make, cheap to produce, saves resources, and improves the economy. That way its a win win situation for all.

Mar 5, 17 / Ari 08, 01 15:53 UTC

fresh idea

Mar 5, 17 / Ari 08, 01 18:19 UTC

Plastics in the sea, in terms of random refuse, is certianly a problem - it's been visible from space for decades.

On a more positive note, with regards refuse and to floating structures, there is one man who was homeless, and where he lived the weather was okay to sleep under the stars on the beach for a while, and he became dismayed at all the empty plastic bottles that regularly appeared - so be began to collect them. Eventually he had enough to use as ballast and he built himself his own personal floating island mostly out of scrap he found of on the beach. You should look it up, it's not as shabby as you'd think - it's quite substantial, he even has trees growing on it.

Now, I'd not suggest we follow suit. It was just something that struck me as a novel use. More realistically, IMHO would be to recycle the plastics and use that to make things. There's already a few posts in other places with regards to the likes of taking common waste otherwise destined for recycling and using as a construction material through things like 3D printing. If harvested, most can be re-used.

There's also posts about floating structures. Someone on reddit had claimed to be well versed in nautical engineering, building ships hulls for some time and had proposed "floating structures" - I personally think in a modular fashion this could be reasonably effective.

As a launch platform, I question if it would be stable enough. The only logical place to float such structures would be right out in open and international waters. It could be rendered stable enough for habitation, especially if the center of gravity is below the surface, but launching is a little fickle. I'm to understand once it's fueled up it doesn't like lateral sway.

There some citation on this "reverse magnetism" or was that some allusion to some future antigravity technogy?

In terms of "biodegradable materials" - most plastic waste is that involved with packaging. Ages ago Eben Bayer had a TED talk: Are mushrooms the new packaging? Specifically targetting polystyrene foams he'd found a way to effectively grow mushrooms on natural organic waste in a mould that resulted in a suitable replacement for polystyrene in most applications with similar properties apart from it's non-toxic and biodegradable. You really don't get much cheaper than mold, a little leaf mulch and a few twigs - it doens't need overly obscure conditions to thrive and has no particularly rare ingredients. Throwing it away when you're done with it doesn't cause a problem.

Updated  on Mar 5, 17 / Ari 08, 01 18:26 UTC, Total number of edits: 4 times
Reason: typo

Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 05:49 UTC

It is important to aware people not to throw waste product into the ocean. fishes and other sea animals are hugely affected by this. The next thing is, government should start a campaign to clean the ocean. It is going take lots of money but isn't it our duty to take care of our planet?

Mar 21, 17 / Ari 24, 01 11:56 UTC

Just had me some vague idea, seeing this topic again.

Considering floating structures and supply chains I'd supposed some (potentially solar/tidal powered) little autonomous tugs can both move the pods to deployment zone, and with climate controlled compartments potentially ferry goods like food.

A similar initative could possibly float over a few pods configured up for recycling and processing. A lot of that can possibly be directly recycled as manufacturing fodder, producing more parts for pods, hulls for tugs etc and feeding things like 3D printers on the floating habitation lessening the impact of the lengthened supply chain from floating in international waters.

This potentially wouldn't take any money, as much as it'd save money. Getting things into the middle of nowhere is a chore at best. An automated solution picking up scrap from a pile of crap you can see from space and feeding it into localised facilities(powered by solar, wind, tidal, current) and then moving either granules or extruded filiment could result in a lot more that we can actually use and the operational costs should be minimal - it shouldn't take long to "pay for itself" and then shortly after provide for return.