Feb 22, 17 / Pis 25, 01 22:40 UTC

SecondLife Asgardia Sim?  

Theres a virtual gaming called Second Life which you can have virtual worlds, places, and experiences. Many related to any topic or place you can think of for example sims made to look like a rain forest and replicate that forest or ocean worlds to replicate a mythological mermaid realm. What about an Asgardia on secondlife and its own Sim on there? It would allow people to collaborate with building projects and having virtual group meetings talking on mics and such. I think it would be really fun.

Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 11:22 UTC

This topic sounds very similar to your 'dating' idea. I am familiar with that Second Life social server game you speak of and I have seen what people do and say there. I highly doubt you can get a community to talk about Asgardian innovations, not to mention you cannot guarantee that the rest of the sims in that game would help collaborate said ideas. Besides, if you are interested in a 'game' then you shouldn't be typing this topic on this forum. You need to take this into the 'Gaming' section of the forums.

Last edited by:  Reinaldo Torna (Asgardian)  on Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 11:23 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 13:11 UTC

I see nothing about this idea that is dangerous or warranting negative feedback.

I also do not see anything about this idea in which I would participate, as I do not 'do' Second Life.

Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 16:30 UTC

@Sarah, That looks like a really cool sim. I didn't know about that. I think that would be a great concept for being able to connect more closely with other Asgardians around the globe. Definitely a new venture to working with others, and meeting up with others in real-time. I'd like to follow this and see where it goes. Maybe make a project proposal from this for another communications/interaction system.

Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 07:04 UTC

i think there seems to be some misunderstanding.  Second Life is not a 'game'.  It's a virtual reality platform.  Some people play games, but others use it for art, education, and so on.  In fact, there are some rather large communities based around art and education there, and a number of organizations have a presence there.

As with any similar software platform, it is what you make of it, and SL allows you a great deal of flexibility in making what you want.

If anyone's interested to discuss this further, I'm more than happy to talk.

Jun 22, 17 / Leo 05, 01 08:18 UTC

Hey @Sarah, You're cute! Like your profile photo. Maybe we can share some more of your ideas together? Which part of Florida are you in?

Jun 22, 17 / Leo 05, 01 14:01 UTC

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before. I'm part of SecondLife too (since 2007) and this idea of having a sim there is really interesting.
Even more interesting, to improve (at least) our virtual presence, as we're (and remain for long time) world wide scattered, could be to use the Opensim framework to build our own Asgardia's "grid": no need of great investments, I did it on my own, in 2009, spending 30€/month while renting a server which held 32 sims into an Opensim grid.

Worth noting that many universities took SecondLife (and now Opensim, 'cause of far less costs) as reference for meetings, to plan lessons, talks, and whatever collaborative work they need as, using Opensim opensource server, it's quite easy to self manage the whole system.
To give an example, SecondLife/Opensim "sims" are like Discord (so text and voice chat) but 3D immersive, and one can even build things and bring them to "life" with programs (C-like scripts): opening doors and windows, moving cars... making space ships to flight... whatever.

Jul 12, 17 / Leo 25, 01 22:07 UTC

I too have been a participant in SecondLife (SL) for over a decade now.  I have seen all sorts of communities there.   In fact, I've participated in some large scale role-play communities there over the years.  The thing with SL is that it is a 3d virtual world platform that uses "user created content" to simulate various environments. 

Advantages:

1. Large scale environment in which to create a space.  A simulator (sim for short) is essentially a dedicated server that simulates a block of land approximately 256m x 256m.
  2. Free accounts are available with premium accounts offered for a fee. (premium accounts include a stipend of "in-world" currency called Linden dollars L$ and a small land grant).
  3. Group dynamics allow premium members to donate their land grant to the group, thus combining their land privileges to obtain larger pieces of land at reduced fees.

Disadvantages:

1. User created content varies in quality and some content can be costly in terms of L$ (which can be bought at an exchange rate of about L$250 per $1 USD.).
  2. Sim security can be a challenge due to the large numbers of "players" that may wander in and cause disruption (griefing).
  3. A large quantity of "adult themed" sims and content.  Not that it would bother me, but, the occasional naked avatar is likely to appear and cause a disturbance.

Even with the disadvantages, I believe this is an excellent option for a virtual space... at least until something better comes along.

Aug 21, 17 / Lib 09, 01 05:50 UTC

this is a great idea so I hope to see it sent to the petitions page and if I make it to stratigist I will do my part to have it implemented.

Nov 12, 17 / Sag 08, 01 10:29 UTC

Having been in SL myself , it may be a interesting platform to hold live conferences and forums in a virtual sense

Nov 21, 17 / Sag 17, 01 08:59 UTC

I agree, think its a great idea, it's alway's difficult to explain what Second Life is, it's a virtual reality platform, you can do everything that you want, the same as in real life. But its also a sort of social platform, you can meet people over the whole world, speak with people over the whole world, you can come to Second Life for free, it is possible to rent land over there and making a virtual meeting place.

Nov 21, 17 / Sag 17, 01 14:55 UTC

Not needed. You are already living virtually. Unless you're in Space! Let me check... Nope, still not in Space. Still not a "Nation" either... *shrug*

Nov 21, 17 / Sag 17, 01 15:02 UTC

@KevinM66 - "Advantages: Large scale environment in which to create a space"

I thought the idea of this website was to go to Space. Now I get it!!! It is now becoming more obvious to me that the idea is to "create space" that you can then pretend is "space". Or something like that. It makes sense, because the people (I'm sorry, I meant "citizens") are already pretending anyway.

Thank you. Everything is crystal clear to me now. (not really, more like clear as mud, but this made more sense than anything else I've read on this forum so far)

Dec 13, 17 / Cap 11, 01 00:18 UTC

I highly recommend a Second Life-like experience for any and all members. It doesn't matter what it "is" or what "content" there is within, it matters what you "can" do. How you feel about what others have done, or what you think it's about, will be as wrong as trying to assert what life on Earth "is", or what "content" there is within. You "can" go to space, regardless of mass non-participation. You "can" utilize a virtual world, regardless of current utilizations of it.
If anything, there should be a native population of 3D Modelers, Texture Artists, Animators, Script Coders, and more. These are also people who are likely fluent in living in a virtual world(sometimes, it's all they have due to disability or a heavy, home-bound workload - very much like what we might be stuck with in space). There are science-fiction creations abound, some of which may have been designed with utmost care for realism, others that are simply aesthetic for selling purposes. It is a very commercialized world upon most traversals, yet an isolated commercialization. There are likely tight-knit bonds who don't wish to be interrupted, or lands that have been waiting for a flood of newcomers(some even functioning without owners). They have their own borders which they can lock up tight, or who let any and all(this includes controlling more than just entry: animations, sizes, abilities, etc).

There are surely entire space-station/ship worlds with advanced simulations, or again just aesthetic touring areas. There will always be something to learn from a group of people who are trying to simulate space living in-depth, in their free time. They have probably had more arguments on what is realistic in that sense than we have, and they may even be stored in virtual books. The analysis of the worlds themselves are akin to a book, with all the possible inner-workings of the scripts and the 3D constructions in general.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a virtual platform where you "can" explore, even/especially the things you disagree with. Even post-Asgardians may end up lingering around and contribute continually, unlike what a text forum provides. I have been lost for hours in that world, flying through what felt like miles and miles of creations that were now abandoned yet must have taken so much to build, and yet know that I was barely scratching the surface of what existed.

I am not sure if "Second Life" itself is worth it to invest all-that-can-be-done-within, but I do think an upgraded, open-source, custom version would be heavily important, especially to those who actually go into space... the availability and entertainment of wandering around even the largest and open of spacecraft will warrant a high desire for a massive, shareable, and persistent virtual world.

Dec 15, 17 / Cap 13, 01 03:51 UTC

great ideal :)