Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 15:39 UTC

Can we really call modern dance form art?  

I will love to hear your opinion on this my fellow Asgardians. Can we say or call modern dance forms art? and which dance form can be really term as performing art to you?

Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 16:58 UTC

As a musician I tend to believe that dance invokes the same feelings as staring at a Van Gogh.

Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 20:46 UTC

In my opinion, of course. Modern dance is art of our time. 100 years ago some other form of dance was "modern". When I watch Step up movies, I see art.

Last edited by:  Josip Pavic (Translator, Asgardian)  on Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 20:46 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 23:41 UTC

I would say it is art as well. I think it's quite a complex language in the arts actually, with many artists collaborating to create the performance including set designers and composers/musicians among others.

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 17:20 UTC

All a matter of perspective but yes you can and should call it art. It may not look like art to some but to others it is.

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 11:31 UTC

If a soiled bed can be sold as art.......say no more. Art is in the eye of the beholder, like beauty I know. So if 1 person thinks it's art then sure why not! It might not be YOUR kind of art. But that's a different debate all together.

Feb 28, 17 / Ari 03, 01 01:20 UTC

Most definately!. I believe, as a dance student myself, that the term "modern dance" is very misleading. Most people refer to contemporary and modern as the same thing but they really are not. Modern (where people throw themselves all over the place and call it dance) is a revolution of the traditional styles of ballet where people needed to move around with no "technique [at the time they meant ballet technique. Pioneers developed a technique from the new style]" but still have something important to say. A lot of great choreographers emerged from this time like Martha Graham and Rudolf Laban. Contemporary is an influence of the energy that moves through the dancer. It is the idea that anything can be called dance when admirring objects (people usually) moving through space. I think you referring to contemporary where most of the dances seen today are very abstract and not so inviting to the casual audience, though still hold underlying meaning. Dance can be a very exclusive art when one does not know much of the vocabulary, both in language and movement, that make a lot of the pieces shown today. Dance has two important qualities: performance and innovation. Sadly, a lot of people lose interest in the innovation process so I think there needs to be more performance dances to really highlight the beauty in modern and contemporary dance.

Mar 28, 17 / Tau 03, 01 23:32 UTC

Yes, absolutely we can really call modern dance form art when we see how the Masters of the dancers Rudolp Nureyev and Maurice Béjart have explored art with dance. Every dance or dancer can be painted and every dance can be a support to translate the deep of the soul to be here,on this earth, nowadays, we dance every where, in the streets for free, we dance with everything, water in including sound in it to create forms, we dance carring the tradition of ancestors with the famous "aka", "sirtaki" "zumba" or the "coupé-décalé" laughing to mix space, time, art, materials .....waiting perhaps the new spatial dance form art....dancing with the stars with others biological entities...if they exist and if they are as nice as we are,us the humans!

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 08:29 UTC

Yes.