Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:18 UTC

Atheist and Rationalist in Asgardia  

I am placing this very specifically in the philosophy section. This is a place for the atheist and rationalist in Asgardia to have a place to discuss the various principles of atheistic and rationalist thinking.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 00:24 UTC

Excellent initiative. I cannot understand some of the discussions within the religious thread re: religion and science should be friends!

I get the impression people are trying to frame the discussion around the latest game of Civilisation they played. Very broad, conceptual statements that have no substance.

Anyway, I might take this opportunity to pay respects to Christopher Hitchens who passed 5 years ago this week. I wonder what he would have to say about the early developments of Asgardia?

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 06:11 UTC

Yes, I freely admit I'm an Atheist. Reason and Logic are powerful tools to problem solve. I'm not a fan of religion or superstition or invisible friends. But I am a fan of life long learning, self empowerment, and sharing my knowledge.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 13:05 UTC

Well its really funny though the relation between religion and science , science and religion and whether they go together or against each other is completely in human hands and interpretation , more precisely it depends on their understanding and acceptance to science , which is related to the ability and how fast can you understand or accept a scientific fact , which varies from one person to another as scientist are faster to grasp any scientific concept , understand it and relate to it in extremely shorter time compared to an average person who is not scientist.

to explain my point of view in brief , the easiest and most familiar example is the shape of the earth . Scientist proved it is round , but average people couldnt understand or comprehend that and at first considered it as a challenge to the religion and as blasphemy , however with time people grasped the concept and started to change their interpretation for the religious books and found out that that there is really no contradiction. to that.

the same thing i do believe would apply to any current conflict or any conflict might arise , as it might be simply a miss interpretation or failure to understand any concept which should be sorted out with time. for that purpose open channels and discussions should always be open accepting other opinions and accepting proven scientific fact as with time , it will make sense in regards of religion.

This is just a personal opinion on the matter :)

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 09:35 UTC

Acquiring knowledge requires a sharp, focused mind focused on the subject being studied. Worshiping God requires exactly the same kind of mind, sharp, concentrated, focused. Unfortunately the focused mind is not the best kind of mind for a good interpersonal relationship. It requires openness, breadth, lightness and attention to present reality. A nation is a political abstraction, what really exists is the interpersonal relationships that together outline a people by customs, culture, beliefs, etc.

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 11:46 UTC

The words of Neil deGrasse Tyson always ring in my ears when I hear about science and religion being "friends".

"God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance"

If Christopher Hitchens were alive today, I'm sure he would fall to his knees and shout with joy... finally, a nation based on science, reason, logic and equality and free of state sponsored / endorsed archaic superstitious beliefs.

Jan 15, 17 / Aqu 15, 01 13:42 UTC

I’m an atheist but I think it’s important to make room for religion(at least in the near future).
Not because I think it’s a necessary part of human nature but because a lot of people would feel robbed of their core belief.
In my opinion abandoning religion is a painstakingly slow process and can’t be forced but can be accomplished with patience and respect.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 02:37 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:11 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Jan 25, 17 / Aqu 25, 01 14:24 UTC

Atheism is a belief in the same way as a religion. It is difficult to come out of dogmas. For me the scientific approach is to be open to the unknown. Even if it must break the certainties acquired. We can be rationalist without being limited in our capacity to aprender the universe in what it has of unknown.

Jan 25, 17 / Aqu 25, 01 21:10 UTC

doublepost

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:07 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 25, 17 / Aqu 25, 01 21:13 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:07 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 27, 17 / Aqu 27, 01 00:33 UTC

@YvesGuillaumond "Atheism is a belief in the same way as a religion"

Speaking of atheism generally, it doesn't advance a position and so isn't a belief. However, 'strong atheism' (gnostic atheism) is a form of belief because it asserts a position, but lacks the dogma of religion; 'weak atheism' (agnostic atheism) doesn't.

@thymeless "I want to dispute your use of the term rationalist. In epistemology, the study of how we know what we know, there are two broad camps. The empiricists and the rationalists. The empiricists base knowledge only on evidence. The rationalists believe additionally in direct knowledge from the mind such as religious feelings of truth. The root there is rationalize which is not evidence based thinking."

Outside of epistemology, the term 'rationalist' is used colloquially to describe a person that is generically a proponent of Enlightenment principles, such as objectivism, epistemic rationality, the scientific method, etc.

Jan 27, 17 / Aqu 27, 01 01:38 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:04 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Feb 2, 17 / Pis 05, 01 09:51 UTC

I think that religion is personal, Asgardia is a space nation founded on science and of course all the people will be free to pray but if we want to be really united why we are going to separate people ? For example the christian communiy che mulism community etc... all religions and I repeat again ALL religions teach the same basics that is the same basics of a normal conscience. so why we don't unify our vision of religion? or example, why a christian can't or won't pray sit between a mulism and a jewish? A prayer is a prayer, and if there's a god I think he will laugh about us! There's so different religion, and every religion claim to be the real one, we are pretty selfish to think something like that!!!!! The cosmos is so vast and unexplored, and we are a grain of dust...we are the seeds of the future! We need to think and act differently we must show different shades of our leaves united, and we must be proud of it. So I say no to religion community, one community for all religions will teach us respect! (And maybe will open the mind to a better understanding of conscience) we must say no to all radicalism delete and defeate it with knowledge.

Feb 15, 17 / Pis 18, 01 09:22 UTC

Respected asgardian RONIN,sir, Please tell me the sources of'' life long learning''. If we consider religious books for it than select any religion among the group of religions.It will create problems If we go to study biography of great persons We will select a great personality of the world, it will also create problem so everybody wants to search easy way of learning long life Secondly you have told about a serious point "Self Enpowerment" .Please explain it and means to get it in this sensitive universe.

Thanks.