Time...

Total number of votes: 16

75% exists.

25% is just in our heads.

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 22:31 UTC

Does TIME exists?  

Although every nation measure time, does time realy exists, or, is it just in our imagination? If we observe reality what do we see? We see day and night shifting as a result of Earth rotation. We see movements around us. That movements changes things around us and we are part of it. Actualy, those movements and changes we call time. But time flowing...? We today live in a era of clock, an invention which had changed a way of thinking and living. We splited our reality on a pieces of numbers. Yes, today the modern world can't function without time measerment of "time". In our personal life clock is very usefull, but sometimes I think it is a bondage and a prison of mind.

Also, week of seven days? What days?

All what is real is a day and night shifting, and movements.

What do you think? Are there any lunatics like me?

Last edited by:  Josip Pavic (Translator, Asgardian)  on Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 22:32 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 02:27 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:11 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 07:59 UTC

@Jason Rainbow and @thymeless, regarding plate example, present and future are the way you make chronology of events/movements/changes. Plate example I can explain by cause and effect, by the various elements which affects the object. Time as a force, I don't know. My body decays and weaknes because of various outer elements we can feel, like gravity and sun light, but time we cannot feel. Ok, I'm not an expert on this field, but at this moment I think the time is something that is in us as subjects (because we are accustomed on that way of thinking and living) and not in object (what is around us), and according to that we observe reality (object) through time glasses. Past is in our memory, future in our imagination, the only real thing is what is happening (now). "Now" is parenthetical becaues happening only can be now.

Regarding time and space - if there is no space there is no movements or events thus there is nothing that we may observe and measure; there is no sequence of events.

Various cultures have had different ways of marking chronolgy and that's also why I think that is in our heads. For example, this is how Semites have looked on time: what happened is in front of us (because it is known), what is going to happen is behind us (it is unknown, we cannot see it). For us today it is opposite. Also, they had looked on time as a sequence of events, not as a flowing force. I am aware that Semites are old culture which has not been familiar with scientific method, but I think their way of thinking are good example of different perspective on what we call time.

Last edited by:  Josip Pavic (Translator, Asgardian)  on Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 10:27 UTC, Total number of edits: 5 times
Reason: additions

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 16:04 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:09 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 21:12 UTC

@thymeless my friend I think we don't understand each other. In my last reply I said that things what happens we can explain by cause and effect, not by time flowing force. Of course, time in language is necessary to describe sequence of events. But I'm talking about time force per se. Language time is our tool to communicate accurately. And my opinion is that the time is just the way we observe reality, the tool which doesn't exist per se as flowing force - like a river. I'm trying to be clear, we see movements and events around us (something what we can feel), not time, but we use time in language (and we have to) to descrbe accuratey those events. And that is still in us as subjects. Is there the time as a object? At this moment I don't think so.

Humans in the past after some time managed be more accurate in desribing reality, so they started to measure day. The first "landmark" was Sun and so on. Now we have a clock, and the thing is that we live with the clock since we were children and the clock is under our skin. The clock needle is moving (or flowing) all the time, so it is under our skin and in out heads that the time is flowing independently.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 21:37 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:08 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 21:40 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:42 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: "This user no longer wishes to be associated with a tin pot banana republic"

Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 09:56 UTC

The experience of time is the iteration of Being.

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 02:00 UTC

This is my understanding of time as science has established it:

First, every single equation in physics is time-reversible. It makes no difference as to whether you are going forwards, backwards or (in special relativity) sideways.

Second, the second law of thermodynamics is not a physical law but a statistical law. It only runs forwards. This is the origin of the arrow of time and causality.

Third, if superstrings exist, then they would not experience our time as time. It would be a direction like any other. Superstrings have their own chronological dimension, if they experience time at all.

Fourth, information appears to be the fundamental unit in the universe. The particle zoo, spacetime, everything is an expression of this information. This is how you can get quasiparticles (bits of an indivisible particle that behave like particles), causality in a universe with black holes, quantized spacetime, etc. This is unverified and controversial.

If any of the multiverse theories hold up, each such theory requires a time dimension independent of this one. The foam multiverse idea (each universe is a bubble in a foam) plays nicely with the Big Rip theory and the problem of singularities, but requires many forms of time to coexist.

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 11:52 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:42 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: "This user no longer wishes to be associated with a tin pot banana republic"

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 13:19 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:43 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 15:50 UTC

"Time" is a concept of relative measurement to describe and quantify something that does not physically exist. You have not defined what you mean by "exist".

As a "thing" it does not exist. As a concept it does.

Time is relative to the thing you are measuring, so becomes arbitrary from our small point of view. We live within certain time-frames and outside others.

Without knowing when and where we are, farming could not have happened. Without knowing when and where you are you cannot navigate big distances, because our sky is not static and we need a reference for which phase we are in. This is where for humans space and time become intermingled.

The proof that "time is real" is all around us, and within our memories of what was.

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 21:30 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:41 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 20:40 UTC

By: Doc.Flay(Asgardian) on 22 January 2017, 3:50 p.m.
"Time" is a concept of relative measurement to describe and quantify something that does not physically exist. You have not defined what you mean by "exist". As a "thing" it does not exist. As a concept it does.

Yeah I'm not a expert in this so I was not so exact, in fact I'm just wondering. I was trying to tell that time as an object or thing (which flows) does not exist, but it is our way to decsribe observed seqeunce of events and it is necessary to do. What I've found is that sometimes time concept may be a bondage (at least in our modern society). I had been trying to observe this reality as it is and as I can perceive so I've found that I can't perceive time but it is only in me. Also, I realized my empathy is more sensitive on this way because I don't think "tomorrow I gonna help" for that tomorrow never happens.

@Clive I don't think if there is no time we would be omniscient. There is a sequence or order of events, cause and effect, and as we observe it we use our memory (a chemical mix in our brain which saved observed events which don't exist any more but they are only in our head) to describe it's sequence. Also regarding decay I don't think it is a product of time. I think it is a product of various outher and inner ellements which happes in some period of time, and that period of time is just our way to describe sequence.

Last edited by:  Josip Pavic (Translator, Asgardian)  on Jan 24, 17 / Aqu 24, 01 10:23 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: grammar

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 20:46 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:47 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time