Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 07:29 UTC

Relationship between Science, scientific truth and 'freedom of expression' and related misconceptions.  

I am sharing this article, as it addresses within other words, a very subtle and common misconception or misunderstanding in people, that 'science' and 'freedom of expression' are essentially the same thing. They are NOT, and NOWHERE CLOSE. The reason because we often think these two together, are two - 1. science and freedom of expression has some things in common and 2. they have been cooperative to each other in humanity's transition from a medieval society. That said, the difference between 'science' and 'freedom of expression' is 'almost' analogous to the difference between 'truth' and 'freedom of expression'.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-to-convince-someone-when-facts-fail/?WT.mc_id=SA_FB_MB_OP

Last edited by:  Ryan Zohar (Asgardian)  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:12 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: updated to active link - rez

Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 00:49 UTC

I've never thought that there was a relationship between science and freedom of expression, I was actually surprised to see the idea brought up as a common misconception.

From my perspective, science is the rigorous and rational interrogation of nature, while freedom of speech of expression is a political principle which means that people should be free to have their own opinions and to express them publicly. I think both things are important, but I don't see a direct relationship between the two nor have I ever sensed a misconception...

I'm from North America, do you think that the misconception you are talking about is more prevalent in some cultures than others?

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 12:58 UTC

Thanks and you are right that it is unusual to think they have a correlation. And no, it may not be geographical. My concern arose in Facebook official groups of Asgardia, particularly in Physics, where it was becoming a mainstream practice sharing whatever 'looks like' science, and pointing out that pseudoscience would not help and should not be posted was resulting in criticisms such as 'autocracy' or 'lack of freedom of expression'. That is why it occurred in my mind, that it should be mentioned with a reference, that such expectation of freedom of expressing any idea is not analogous to science. Thanks again for the question, it complements the reasoning actually.

Jan 9, 17 / Aqu 09, 01 09:14 UTC

Science is having to know. Freedom is not having to know.