Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 07:56 UTC

Train body and mind  

My thinking is that we need a type of philosophy in which each citizen along with training their mind it should be required to also train their body(and vice versa). I often see peoples with strong mind but weak body and ones with strong body but weak mind and worse some that have both weak body and mind. It would help us in the long term to break trough boundaries we are unable to do at this moment. Anyone think that this would be a good thing?

Last edited by:  Radu Maican (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 08:19 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 13:09 UTC

Last edited by:  Beatrice Lentzen (Asgardian)  on Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 23:51 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 13:44 UTC

Pro and VS

Last edited by:  Gabriela Romero Ramirez (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:26 UTC, Total number of edits: 4 times
Reason: about classical indoctrinations pro or not

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:32 UTC

For me it makes sense that physical health and well being should be a common concept in Asgardia, considering space travel requires good health and fortitude.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 20:07 UTC

Mind----should be trained trough knowledge (learning as much as possible), doing mind exercises(math, logic puzzles) and we also need some degree of spirituality (like there are things in this universe that we are unable to fully comprehend..... yet, if you catch my drift). Body-----Should be trained by doing physical exercises, martial arts, always eating healthy.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 06:03 UTC

I agree with Zohar and Kronos. A combination of both but also meditation. To take are bodies and mind to the max. We must train ourselves, be disciplined. It might not hurt to meet in pairs or groups and encourage each other. Personally, I believe religion has no place in Asgardia. It's been the scourge of mankind for centuries. A big reason why wars have been fought. Nay!! I implore you brother's and sister's let not religion creep in Asgardia. Reason, Logic, Strength, Honor, Civility, Humanity, Unity be tools of Asgardia.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 14:37 UTC

Ah the good old Greek philosophies: A healthy mind in a healthy body! Still the best rule to follow!

Would you be surprised to know that the greatest Greek philosophers also spent a lot of time in trying to determine the existence and substance of the soul and on how to elevate it? I mean Socrates, Plato and Aristotle all did remarkable works on ontology which lead to the acceptance of the existence of God... different from the gods of the pantheon.

You should include medicine in your program and follow what Hippocrates used to say “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” (which also happens to be a Taoist and TCM precept among others).

In regard to religion, you would surprised that in its origin it was a binding factor and a driving force in nations for the betterment of Man. I mean Ronin, Strenght, Honor, Humanity, Valor, etc... are all actual moral virtue, and you guys are encouraging piety (which will be a necessity to survive in space, I haven't heard until today of a single astronaut who doesn't live by the book, pun intended, and I haven't heard of any Nasa regulation forbidding astronauts to freely express their faith, au contraire...).

The scourge of mankind has and always will be envy, greed, jealousy and more importantly ignorance.

my two cents and peace out.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:08 UTC

Why don't you guys recommend a program for doing that? Yoga? Tai-chi?

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:45 UTC

What an excellent idea. An exercise that would keep the full body in shape, the mental focused and elevate the soul all at the same time. It should be short in duration (maybe 5mns), done few times a day (like 3 times a day?) and require no special equipment.

Any suggestion?

Yoga and Tai chi are pretty great, but time consuming no?

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 19:32 UTC

Something for the people in this thread to think about:

Ableism is discrimination and social prejudice against people with disabilities. Ableism characterizes persons as defined by their disabilities and as inferior to the non-disabled. On this basis, people are assigned or denied certain perceived abilities, skills, and/or character traits. Discrimination faced by those who have or are perceived to have a mental disorder is sometimes called mentalism rather than ableism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ableism

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 19:41 UTC

Everyone has their strong points. I doubt Stephen Hawking could partake in a physical fitness program, but that's not discrimination. It's a fact. It does not make him any less human or valuable. There is no denial of rights or basic necessity by recommending a short length fitness program for those who are able.

Besides, in the future most disabilities should be cureable through either genetic modification or cybernetics.

Last edited by:  Ryan Zohar (Asgardian)  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 20:47 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 21:48 UTC

Of course, we are not Spartans!

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 22:38 UTC

hahaha, indeed :P

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 15:06 UTC

I guess my next question would be - in the formation of a new society, how would you recommend implementing such a thing? Optional? Required by all? Encouraged?

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 18:37 UTC

Hello fellow Asgardians.

I am a Street Workout trainer (in my spare time, because I'm actually an IT guy), which is the way of seeking to improve the mind-body connection (or in a cool way to say it "propioception") by learning many kinds of elements with only your body (gymnastics, dance, martial arts moves, etc). In my experience, making it a requisite, even if it's just a bodyweight program, takes the philosophy away from it. The purpose of Taichi, Yoga, martial arts and my sports is to commit to a way of self expression and self improvement, not something you force people to do.

** BTW, just a little note... I was surprised when I first heard that the word Yoga means "unity". Looking for unity through sports is a way of life, and a fitness program requirement is.... spiritually meaningless.