Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 01:23 UTC

[Proposal] Stardate 11634.92, Captains Log ASS Destiny - The Stardate Standard Recommendation  

Hello Asgardia, Nihylum here.

I want to recommend a double-standard for ASGARDIA that technically normalizes the actual way of measuring time.

The standard recommendation has made permanently available at my think tank domain under this URL: http://prime.singularity.name/stardate/stardate-standard.pdf

Example Stardates:

October 13th, 2016 18:00:00 becomes: Stardate 0.04 18:00:00
December 24th, 2016, 20:00:00 becomes: Stardate 2.92 20:00:00

The stardate notation is meant as an operative date notation and is intended to be used on asgardia environments. The alternative expression will help the transition from the regular date to stardate for our citizens and is recommended in the first 5 years to be shown aside stardates in a manner that looks less important.

The Intention of this Standard:

This double-standard is intended to be used as a calendar system for living in space or space traveling. In point of view of living on earth, this standard is intended to be engaged in symbioses with earth date and time. This standard is not intended to replace or deprecate earth time.

ToDo: - Orchestrating Libraries and Playgrounds

Updated  on Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 17:16 UTC, Total number of edits: 13 times
Reason: Standard Recommendation moved to think tank domain.

Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 12:22 UTC

This idea sounds very interesting. If it is possible to formalize a proposal, you could make it in pdf format, please submit the plan and outlined proposal to citizens@asgardia.space for consideration. Let us know if you have any questions.

Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 13:56 UTC

This looks interesting but, would not this increase the logistics costs for computer systems? Prepare all computer systems to this calendar would be a pain the ass and besides I am thinking of creating a cryptocurrency as I will to annex it to the system

Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 14:37 UTC

I actually have a problem with this. Why a 350 day period, given that it takes 365 and a bit days for us to orbit our star? Using your system, the dates would quite quickly fall out of synchronisation and suddenly planning things by date becomes significantly harder for any industry that relies on yearly or seasonal planning. Quite frankly, it seems absurd to suddenly desynchronise the calendar to the stellar orbit.

I propose a radically different system. It's humanised and easily divisible and more importantly; regular.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18eH0s_BVTRqXl5ObbLIdNJEiA2uDDmycpWGu6xGr8Y0/edit#gid=0

Dates can be written YYYY/M/DD or whatever fashion you wish, but if we're going to change the calendar, lets at least make it sensible and easy to track! So, I propose:

• Restarting the year counter
  • 10 months to a year
  • 36 days to each month
  • 3 weeks to each month
  • 9 day weeks, with every third day a "weekend" (two on, one off, rinse and repeat.)
  • 5 holidays spread evenly throughout the year, I.E. one every second month.

This doesn't require falling out of synchronisation with the orbital pattern of our star, meaning seasons still fall where they fall, there's no silly rhyme to remember how many days come in any month, any required leap years occur as an additional holiday day, and more importantly it encourages a better working system. By giving more weekends more regularly, people get more time to do as they please and get their life in order, they experience less fatigue, happiness goes up, productivity goes up during the working days... following dozens of studies that say we should work less and relax more, this modification to the calendar isn't just about popularising a TV show, it has a basis in scientific research - which is the entire point of Asgardia, if I remember rightly!

Last edited by:  Alan Player (Asgardian)  on Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 14:40 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: Added < > to make link clickable

Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 16:39 UTC

Hi Mafi.

You have a very interesting proposition. But it need to be careful with all this long weeks and often "weekends". What productivity we can expect from people that works according this calendar? I think two working days is a very short period for some types of work, in a worst case it can become like this: "you start new project (day one) -> dive into problem (day two) -> holiday (relax and forget almost all that was done before) -> try to remind yourself what you have previously done (day one) -> you recall on what you stopped (day two) -> again holiday ....) ".

For such calendar will be much better to not use constant work time, but allow any person work in any time they want, just set a deadline date.

Jan 17, 17 / Aqu 17, 01 17:51 UTC

Hello, thank you for your replies.

Since my calendar concept is intended to detach the calendar from environmental circumstances, i will definitely not consider to sync it with the gregorian one. The out-sync to the gregorian calendar system will happen each 71 years, which is once each human generation. The short week concept is used because of a work period that includes a free day by design.

Using a calendar system for space travel that sets its dimensions to a not constant circumstance like a star orbit travel time or orbiter travel time of a planet is to me a bad idea because you have to update any circumstances to all entities using the calendar system, no matter how far away they are. With my proposed Standard, i don't bind anything. The only circumstances that are considered and implemented are of chronobiological nature ( the 24 hour day length ).

I don't force to unconditional free each 5th day. I think it would be logical to compose free days for special jobs and group them to the end and at the middle of a month. But it is a good start to free each 5th day. 4 day work weeks look like a healthy approach to me. I tested a lot of permutations ( year length, month length, week length and even day length ) but what i propose here is the most efficient version. I have a backup concept that implements a 25 hours day also.

Jan 18, 17 / Aqu 18, 01 05:36 UTC

@Zahira: I currently prepare a more specific PDF-based proposal that will supersede the content of this topic. The PDF will be published online at my think tank domain and will be distributed here and emailed with a detailed introduction to citizens@asgardia.space

I will also provide a playground for calculations and libraries ( PHP & JavaScript ) implementing this standard recommendation. So people can get in touch with Stardates. The scheduled release of the mentioned content will until 2017-01-20 06:00:00 Zulu ( Stardate 4.00 06:00:00 ).

Edit: Release delayed by one day. I had less free time as i thought.

Updated  on Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 05:08 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Modified release date.

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 17:15 UTC

The submitted Standard Recommendation is available here: http://prime.singularity.name/stardate/stardate-standard.pdf

Playgrounds and libraries will follow in the next days.

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 16:44 UTC

Standard discontinued for the moment due to zero reaction of Asgardia Officials and the weird Decree about the adopted IFC-clone formalization. I am open for a future discussion of continuing the development of this proposal when academical professionalism and open channels for citizen committed proposals are top priorities. I reserve the right to publish a modified version of this standard for international recognition as the last resort.

Thank you for participating.

Mar 20, 17 / Ari 23, 01 14:01 UTC

This standard has been covered by a tech-demo: https://prime.singularity.name/now/

Mar 20, 17 / Ari 23, 01 22:59 UTC

nihylum,

I'm with you on the weird (what can only be described as a brain explosion) decision to tie a space nation's calendar to the orbital movement of the third planet of a fairly common type of star in the backstreets of one of nearly 47,000 galaxies in our local supercluster. I truly hope sanity prevails.

I personally like your proposal which would also work nicely with a calibrated millisecond pulsar array system to measure time. I have outlined this concept in a separate post.

https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/feedback-11/topic/a-science-based-alternative-to-the-proposed-asgardian-calendar-4269/?post=19787#19787

Apr 24, 17 / Gem 02, 01 10:21 UTC

Hello Tsudico,

I'll take a look at the standard and update it if needed, thank you for your feedback.