Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 21:00 UTC

What do you think about LENR?  

LENR is the acronym for Low Energy Nuclear Reaction, known to the common people as "cold fusion". I'm not in any way an expert about how LENR are supposed to work but they usually use a catalyst (usually palladium) that is somehow capable of bringing two deuterium atoms close enough that they fuse togheter, creating helium-4 + energy.

I'm obviously skeptical of this kind of stuff, but I red about the experiments done on it and it seems a phenomenon that should be studied in detail; unfortunately for some reason the scientific community decided that this was not the case and still today there is a stigma hovering over this topic, and so no one is willing to publish papers about it.

What do you think? Should Asgardia's scientists explore this field?

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 05:50 UTC

That's one way - there are others.

LENR is something that's been talked about for a long time, and I've heard rumour o a few feasibly operable reactor designs. It's certainly something that hold potential as productive area of research. Fusion being a lot more sensible than fission.

I did find Rossi's E-Cat reactor quite interesting because the energies released and the matter changes suggested fusion - and this was taking place unprotected in a room full of people leaving no neutron trace.

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 09:56 UTC

There are many talks about LENR. But I certain about next things: 1) To provide such type of reaction you need something like NIF or JET (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NationalIgnitionFacility and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JointEuropeanTorus respectively). This technologies works, not good but works. 2) Or you may use muon catalysis for a really "cold fusion", but here is a one big problem. The creation of one muon need 5-10 GeV and reaction with that muon will give only 2 GeV (at present level of technology). I think that this type of reactions is the future source of power for humanity, but there are a lot of technological issues that must be solved before this technology will be common in any part of the world.