Jun 26, 17 / Leo 09, 01 12:40 UTC

Re: Asgardian Language | La Langue Asgardian | Idioma Asgardian | 阿尔及利亚语 | Асгарда язык | Asgardian språk  

@LoneWorf
My best guess about your question is: when Unish will become official language of Asgardia, which is still an hope.
Until that time will have no sense in put effort into a language we may are not going to use.

Jun 26, 17 / Leo 09, 01 12:44 UTC

It's correct. So the question becames:

When will be the language established?

Jun 26, 17 / Leo 09, 01 12:58 UTC

When the Constitutional draft will be rewritten, perhaps?
No rewrite = you'll keep those "main 13 languages", which is far worst than the "Basic" language proposed by @LoreZyra (not saying his proposal was bad in any way).

Last edited by:  Luca Coianiz (Asgardian)  on Jun 28, 17 / Leo 11, 01 13:44 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: clarification

Jul 1, 17 / Leo 14, 01 10:34 UTC

Please read and sign my petition. It directly addresses the problem of the language barrier seeks to promote more citizen participation in government.

https://asgardia.space/en/petitions/9762-promote-active-citizenship-in-asgardia/

Sep 12, 17 / Sco 03, 01 06:39 UTC

Perhaps we could start with 5 Major Languages, being the major Space Contributor nations? maybe I'm racist tho idk?

1. English
2. Russian
3. Japanese
4. Chinse
5. Indian

Nov 14, 17 / Sag 10, 01 06:00 UTC

Folks,
I wonder how great it can be if we actually create a whole new language, picking out the best of the Terran languages.
But I think this could take a long time! In the concrete case, first, we have to develop our language in communion by means of open voting, especially in phonetics, there are countries that have a much greater degree of difficulty to be understood by an inhabitant of another nation, let us compare the Russian for Portuguese, it is very complicated for a person who has the Portuguese language as the main language to develop the Russian language. According to my dear ones, we are a realm that we are constantly growing, how will we go after building a language of its own to get our people literate? It is worth a reflection on this point, great nations on Earth until today have difficulties in giving a quality education to all its inhabitants in the physical environment, imagine in the "digital" environment as it is still our case ... The exit for this situation would be at the moment of the construction of the embassies in the countries, we can offer courses for citizens who really are committed to our ideal, but until then I think that a construction of a language of its own is still something very abstract, it escapes a little of the reality that we are living.

Gaudêncio Viana 

Last edited by:  Gaudencio Ramos (Asgardian)  on Nov 14, 17 / Sag 10, 01 06:01 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Nov 14, 17 / Sag 10, 01 14:49 UTC

As it have been said many, many, many (add here at least 4096 "many") times, there are already made third party languages: starting from Esperanto (which have been deprecated for some reasons), continuing with a whole list of "artificial languages", up to the Unish language examined later.
That to say there is NO NEED at all, to "create a whole new language" which "could take a long time!" (at least reading previous messages, in a thread one likes to post, whould be required).

Nonetheless, Asgardia took a different way, fooling the "language information" inserted by asgardians in their profile as "people's language" instead of "able to speak" one. That's, by the way, the main source of the "language barrier" very well described by @Richard Howell (AKA people who declared to speak english, but de facto may be only able to read it: you can see they're completely not speaking in any general forum's part, and it's unbelievable they have no opinions at all, as they're speaking into regional forums, where english language knowledge is not required).

Nov 17, 17 / Sag 13, 01 18:22 UTC

I think a common language would be important for people from all over the Terrestrial world wanting to live and work together in space.  With so much work having gone into Unish so far, and that it represents the major languages spoken by Asgardians, that we should go forward with the process of making Unish the official language.  People can begin learning it in preparation. 

Nov 29, 17 / Sag 25, 01 17:56 UTC

Esperanto is a far superior choice for a secondary language for all peoples.

I have written and researched much about Esperanto as the International Auxiliary Language (IAL): 

http://www.arionshome.com/esperanto/

It is:

* easy to learn (~200 hours vs 2000+ for organic national languages)
* phonetic
* consistent (regular verb tensing and noun pluralization)
* no irregularities
* politically neutral

Last edited by:  James O'Neill (Asgardian)  on Nov 30, 17 / Sag 26, 01 14:51 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Dec 4, 17 / Cap 02, 01 06:59 UTC

Yes 🤗 aside from everyone else’s languages we all should be learning on the meantime!

Feb 2, 18 / Pis 05, 02 14:36 UTC

A unique new langue? Why not to use some langues? ... Let the common sense run. At the end we will use the most comfortable language for the asgardians.

Mar 4, 18 / Ari 07, 02 22:39 UTC

English is not easily understood by everyone.

English is a total  bastardized mess.

Last edited by:  Cpt Lorca (Asgardian)  on Mar 6, 18 / Ari 09, 02 00:48 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: removed unsanctioned link by Denise Blair, 06 Mar 2018 @ 00:47

Mar 6, 18 / Ari 09, 02 07:45 UTC

hi all,

i not agreed to spend a lot of time to create Asgardia language in the initial start up. it will spending a lot of manpower, time to develop the new language. 

Jun 9, 18 / Can 20, 02 14:40 UTC

For the sake of this post, let's assume that English, or any other natural language, is out (for any multitude of reasons).

Outside of that, there have been about four suggestions I noticed.

1. Esperanto — A fairly well known constructed, based on a variety of European languages, mostly Romance and Germanic, with some Slavic phonology. Thanks to its age, Esperanto already has a good number of speakers, including native speakers. Learning it gives people who already know a European language a leg up, but it being easier to learn than natural languages in general may make up for that.
  2. Lojban — A favorite of mine, and others that like the idea of eliminating semantic ambiguity in speech. Although it builds its vocabulary from existing languages, in reality most of those words are unrecognizable, and its grammar (the main feature of the language) is fairly unique, meaning that pretty much everyone is on an even playing field with learning Lojban. That said, there are few people that actually learn the language to fluency, and there are no known native speakers.
  3. Unish — I actually don't know anything about this one. Its grammar and phonology seems to be based in how pidgins work, making this a fairly easy language to learn, but this also means Unish is basically an artificial pidgin that may not be ideal for complex communication. This may change after a couple generations and the language flourishes into a proper language, but before then it would only be useful as a somewhat limited 2nd language. Granted, for that reason it would probably be super easy to learn compared to any of the other options.
  4. "Asgardian" — Basically roll our own language from scratch. This is probably the most extreme option, and also the least desirable in my opinion. As others have said, it would consume too much time, especially as there's a ton to decide when building a constructed language, and I can easily see that becoming a mess of people trying to push their own ideas onto the language.
    Alternatively, we could modify Lojban or Unish to fit whatever we need, thus making an "Asgardian dialect" of these pre-existing conlangs.

Ultimately, someone is going to be disappointed. The above ideas are all proposed for one reason or another, but the most practical idea is to just stick with English or Mandarin, and both ideas would probably annoy people for one reason or another.

At the moment, it's too early to say what will be the official language, and it may not matter anyways, as all our interactions are being done online.