Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 00:31 UTC

Re: About United Nation Membership  

So basically what this says it that the un even if they wanted to cannot recognise us as a state or official government that we need other nations from around the globe to recognise us to be officially then apply to the un for membership ...or have I misunderstood

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 01:31 UTC

You have it right but the un is full of representatives from other countries that speak to their leaders about any of the issues of importance. Thus being recognized by the un, even informally would go a long way.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 05:48 UTC

I think we have to be registered as a recognised entity first. We should take one step at a time. Our focus should be cementing our position as a space nation, albeit we are still stuck on land - but we'll get there.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 09:33 UTC

"The procedure is briefly as follows:

1. The State submits an application to the Secretary-General and a letter formally stating that it accepts the obligations under the Charter.

2. The Security Council considers the application. Any recommendation for admission must receive the affirmative votes of 9 of the 15 members of the Council, provided that none of its five permanent members — China, France, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America — have voted against the application.

3. If the Council recommends admission, the recommendation is presented to the General Assembly for consideration. A two-thirds majority vote is necessary in the Assembly for admission of a new State.

4. Membership becomes effective the date the resolution for admission is adopted."

Source: http://www.un.org/en/sections/member-states/about-un-membership/index.html

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 09:34 UTC

Observe that we also need to have the security council on our side to be recognised as a country. Nine for and no permanent member must vote against the application.

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 20:02 UTC

Until we get the membership in the United Nations we must meet as a nation, and we ask for membership by providing Father Igor formally request the official statistics for the citizens and what is the goal of this great state.

Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 23:53 UTC

A nation in space is evidently an outlet for the problem of state domination. Humanity can not recognize itself as a unit because from birth it learns to be a people different from other peoples. On the other hand, there is no square meter of land that is not under the control of a state. The options are few, the space, the Antarctica or the international waters of the oceans. The spatial solution is the most difficult but the most effective. Space is big. There will be no possibility of a neighboring nation or frontiers. In addition, if the terrestrial orbit is very disputed, we can leave floating by the deep space. So why the concern of recognition by the united nations? Because we want to have on earth the same freedom we will have in space. As far as I know, as far as I know of sovereign states and united nations, in my 60 years of life, this will not be possible. The nations will understand that this is a way to lose control over their governed. Imagine extreme if a whole country, all its people want to be an Asgardian citizen. This country could become an Asgardia on earth. This greatly increases the administrative complication of the Asgardian state.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 18:27 UTC

There's another option. We can make land. If that's that much of an issue. It's not cheap, but it's do-able.

It was my understanding at least that UN recognition was sought in order for us to retain the rights to things we put into space - as current space law defines such responsibility of the nation that puts it there. Ergo desire to be recognised as a nation. Any rights attributed on Earth is likely to be granted, or denied, by the relevant nation in question. It's common for such to place their own values above those of a guests. So until we actually have borders on Earth, that's not a consideration. When we do, it's still equally of no consequence as within our own borders our law will prevail.

I can understand the concern with foreign nations fearing a loss of control. Really this is something they should address - Why are their people eager to leave - but I understand being immature and lacking the ability to form coherent thoughts they are unlikely to view in this light and attempt to attack the symptoms as opposed to the cause. Our greatest defence from such will be the prevailing view that we are destined failure. I personally don't see why we would represent a particular threat of being a more desirable nation than that of any other currently existing nation. But I do think we should be doing more to secure ourselves against such threats.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 13:09 UTC

I do not know the United Nations proposal on which countries may or may not be a member of UNO. But I think the extra terrestrial location should not be a problem.

With a feeling of hope, solidarity and universal fraternity, I hope that when the UNO proposes our proposal for a nation, some generous country can give us a place to live. This is not uncommon in the history of the world, there has already been a precedent.

Let's cross our fingers.

Updated  on Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 13:14 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 13:15 UTC

Basically, after WWII, "the international community" listened to the plights of the Jews and decided, with light of the more recent as much as the historical persecution, to steal some land off some Arabs to give to them - hence ½ the problems in the middle east about now. Quite when a religion became the measure of being a nation, or requiring nation status, I'm unsure.

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 13:57 UTC

Yes, exactly, so I say that the goodwill of some generous nation will be necessary so that there are no border conflicts.

But I also think Mr. Igor was not thinking of territory on the face of the earth when he imagined a space nation. It would be incongruous. We can buy and pay for satellite launch services to Russia or another country that wants to make the service cheaper. And so have the recognition that there is a satellite in the orbit of the earth that does not belong to any country or company based in any country. This forces UNO to recognize that there is Asgardia, there is a people and there is the materiality of their achievements, ie the satellite.

No matter the purpose of the satellite, I personally think it should be able to sell telecommunications access service in particular to our old and good Internet.

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 17:34 UTC

As there's little desire, and even less requirement or even point in having borders on Earth. Earth is our border. The generous nature of a nation is only really required for establishment of embassies, consulates and the like.

This is uncommon. You seem to discount the fact that the land given to the Isreali was forcibly stolen from several countries, and was not a measure of generosity or goodwill on their part, and why there have been problems there ever since as they are surrounded on all sides by hostile nations that would happily see them hounded into extinction.

As every square foot of land is currently "occupied" - bar Antartica(which IIRC has anti-settlement treaties imposed, Article 4 of the Antartica Treaty) then it's unlikely we are able to obtain anything that would be suitable in terms of supporting our long term populational growth. Especially if you factor in Earth's spiraling population and the way they are already begining to run out of arable land capable of producing enough food to support that population, and running out of land to build on in order to house the populations making such resources far to valuable - currently and in the future - to simply donate as a measure of goodwill. For more details on that subject, read the UN roadmap for food security through to 2050.

We can already buy and pay for launch capabailities. Incredibly minor. The base Igor acquired over in Malta, back in June 2015 could also potentially become a facility that gives us our own launch capabilities. I would expect us to eventually obtain our own launch facilities, but I've been doing all my math on having to hire them.

I think you may have the satellite concept backwards. We need to establish ourselves as a nation in order to retain rights over putting it up there in the first place. Or it simply belongs to the launching nation. Or at least that was my understanding.

I've been unable to determine a purpose of the first satellite launched - I'm not entirely sure this has been decided. I haven't put a great deal of research into this, admittedly. I think a comms infrastructure is a good idea - both to compliment the existing internet, and to establish our own private network.

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 18:16 UTC

Few months ago I wrote little piece about how Asgardia could become a member of the UN and after little research I conculded that Asgardia with not having land to claim and few other essential characteristics for a nation state, is similar to Order of Malta. Which is recognized as a country by over 150 different states and has its own passports however in the UN has a member observer status.

Also I think it will be easier to be recognized as observer than fully fledged member state. We can apply for full membership later on after all governmental institutions are settled down and well established.

Bellow my article.I published it on Asgardia Politics and Diplomacy FB page https://www.facebook.com/notes/asgardia-space-politic-and-diplomacy/case-of-the-independence-of-the-first-space-nation/619603731581144

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 19:51 UTC

Observer status is an obvious interim choice until Asgardia is built. Attempting to gain ground on the earth will simply make us a pretender micronation with all the accompanying problems.

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 05:05 UTC

To have a better claim at legitimacy, once we have a formal government in place, we should strive to become signatories of various aspects of international law such as the Geneva Conventions, International Court of Justice, etc. By recognizing various international treaties, we can also declare our right to exist, and from there send our letter requesting UN membership.