Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 04:06 UTC

Education and Healthcare - User pays or universal?  

This is probably the best location to pose this question as it is related to societal equity and economic resources. While I appreciate that an Asgardian education and healthcare system are many, many steps down the road, I thought it worthwhile to pose this question now since some countries have spent over a century grappling the the pros and cons of both. Universal systems obviously come at a cost to government that has to be resourced by some means, but arguably provide greater protection and opportunities for citizens than a full user pays system. Is there some other model for providing these essential services that would work in a space nation?

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 01:20 UTC

A good question, and hopefully Asgardia makes the right decision about healthcare, that being everyone deserves access to it. I'm personally for universal single-payer healthcare; most civilized nations have it. I question the claimed civility of a nation that would cling to exploitative capitalist models when it comes to its citizens' health.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 16:56 UTC

Hello everyone, I mainly apologize for my English. I'm trying to learn and for now helped me with translators.

According to my thoughts: every government system must supply its citizens: Health, Education and Food, the distribution of the aforementioned should be done free of charge; It is further to explain that these resources imply a heavy economic burden which is determined by the total number of citizens, birth rates, mortality, among others, however, it should be directly determined by the productive systems that are generated in Afgardia. As far as my scope goes, it would seem that our main line of production would be knowledge, which for me is totally interesting, but I think that would be another topic for discussion. Regards!

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 00:22 UTC

If we wish to build an equal society, founded in science, I can't see any argument against universal healthcare and education.

User pays= you can be to poor to deserve your basic needs. That is about as absurd, considering our Asgardian values, as discussing if we should have slaves. Obviously no!

Every Asgardian citizen should have the right to education, healthcare (including medicine, treatments and equpiment needed for their condition), housing, hygenic needs, clean water, food, sexual health (condoms, birth control etc.), public service, lawyers and such. Not a complete list, just some of the basics.

Have a good (whatever fits your timezone)! //Rikard Korpklo

Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 11:59 UTC

Good day,

Universal.

Have a nice day.

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 14:51 UTC

Universal. All day.

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 18:45 UTC

Everithing universal and free, but people should be able to pay for it too if they want.

Feb 14, 17 / Pis 17, 01 03:23 UTC

Hi

It should be Universal.

User pay - you could be too poor for basic needs. It's about absurd as having slavery in Asgardia ( considering our values)

However it should be monitored so to avoid a financial crisis like the one now seen in the Nation Health Service (NHS) in the United kingdom.

For anyone who doesn't know about the NHS. The Nation Health Service is a Universal health care service which was created after world war 2 to give the people of the UK free health care within reason. ( Within reason because people are not charged mostly for medical treatment with expections to prescriptions and dental treatment which is thanks to the late great Winston Churchill's conservative government's medical reforms in 1952)

It's currently suffering from a major and nasty crisis because of things like underfunding, shortage of beds ,etc.

Let me pitch a name if it will be Universal..Asgardian Education and Healthcare service (AEHS)

Regards

Fpitts

Last edited by:  Francis Pitts (Asgardian)  on Feb 14, 17 / Pis 17, 01 04:44 UTC, Total number of edits: 5 times
Reason: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health_Service ( link for added information on the Nation Health)

Feb 17, 17 / Pis 20, 01 11:23 UTC

Based on the concept of Asgardia, it seems much more consistent a universal system of healthcare and education. Believing on the transparency of this nation, a good universal system will provide a better quality of life and equality among the population.

Best regards, Martine.

Feb 23, 17 / Pis 26, 01 22:10 UTC

deleted

Updated  on May 25, 17 / Can 05, 01 19:01 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: leaving asgardia

Dec 4, 17 / Cap 02, 01 07:34 UTC

Free Healthcare 🤗

Dec 5, 17 / Cap 03, 01 03:38 UTC

Definitely Universal Health Care.
The negative social and economic impact of not having access to health care is pretty severe.
Poverty is a method of economic murder.

Here is my Candidacy Platform for District #1.
I don't really talk about it until the last page as a note for Transitional Method (IX. B) for us.
For the other nations of the world Universal Health Care is a must. 

Last edited by:  James O'Neill (Asgardian)  on Dec 5, 17 / Cap 03, 01 03:39 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: canot spelgdu

Dec 11, 17 / Cap 09, 01 04:35 UTC

So true James🙏