Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 15:50 UTC

QR ID for argardians  

Hi, i suggest the creation of a QR identification or QR ID, with all info about de citizen in a larg DB. Thanks. PS: I have a preview, but a cant upload it.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 09:08 UTC

what is the purpose of having it ?

Mar 7, 17 / Ari 10, 01 15:37 UTC

QR isn't used as ID currently for several reasons, such as it's easily spoofed/copied/manipulated or it's not possible to keep secured.

Mar 7, 17 / Ari 10, 01 16:02 UTC

So, this would be my QR ID?

QR Code Activate!

http://www.fixerlaw.com/images/static_qr_code_without_logo.jpg

(My website, nice place to drop tiny images like this.)

I really don't see us needing IDs just yet. To be honest, I want our 'IDs' to basically be passports, like we would take to other countries when we travel internationally. That way we just have one ID and not need to have one 'state ID' and one 'passport'. Just one ID for everything, which should have maximized security protections on it along with a code only the citizen should know and can change at will.

Mar 7, 17 / Ari 10, 01 16:44 UTC

QR can be easily copied and its does not have much security haha

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 17:19 UTC

QRs can hold (visible) data, not security related unless exchanged in a way they can't be seen by the public (e.g. a phone showing it while a nearby phone's cam reads it, providing to have no others in the vicinity). Wouldn't place "secure infos" in there.

Something one can use QR IDs for is to print onto a badge for "casual recognition" (but not authentication!), nearly gadget like, or to have public available data, summaryzed and in digital form, e.g. Name, Surname, Address ready to be scanned by an app, instead to have them copied by hand (like @Phicksur did), nothing more.

Something other one can do is to expose his own digital public key's hash (having a private/public key, I mean), at posts' bottom in the forum, like most ones places at their mails' bottom but, if the QR is just an hash and not dinamically calculated starting from the mail's content, it won't be a "digital sign" at all, just an utility.

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 21:46 UTC

Signing of posts cryptographically is something I'm definitely in favour of - mostly because there's no real authentication process happening.

Use of the cryptographic keys should take authentication, and thusly confirm that this post is from this user - and attempts to later edit this post, not by this user, will trash the signing.

Mar 17, 17 / Ari 20, 01 17:33 UTC

That means Asgardia should implement it's own PKI structure, which I'm in favor of: knowing who's'who, especially in the government structures, is fundamental.
Here QR may help, in making the public key portable, the same as an App may help handling the private key.

Mar 17, 17 / Ari 20, 01 18:07 UTC

It already has an implimented PKI structure - quite likely located: /etc/pki

Or that's where I'd expect to find it.

I don't see how a QR is supposed to assist matters.

Mar 25, 17 / Tau 00, 01 19:23 UTC

I bet the same way barcodes do, but holding more data.

Mar 25, 17 / Tau 00, 01 22:17 UTC

I'm aware of what QR codes actually do.

What I'm not aware of is any advantage this would bring.