Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 19:34 UTC

Re: Asgardia: Clinical Psychological Disorders  

ArturoTR : I agree 100%. Isolated 1-1 care is nearly impossible to provide, given that Asgardia's demographic survey on Facebook (unofficial, but still good to look at) shows that we only have 30 psychologists and about as many mental health workers. The trouble with the group approach is determining how many people we can have in one group at one time. Placement in the group could go through a triage system, maybe?

I have another suggestion, but it's somewhat controversial. I believe that there should be NO "safe spaces" in Asgardia. I've found in both my personal experience and in research that safe spaces do not actually help clients. Instead, what it does is provide an unhealthy "echo chamber" where the same views get repeated over and over again. Healthy mental capacity also involves social involvement and challenging one's own life perspective. The basic psychological approach should be socratic dialogue, rather than self-isolation in a "safe space".

In terms of the actual psychological disorders, I think that we should review the American Psychological Association's guidelines (APA) as put out in the DSM IV-R. We can then create legislation regarding the specific psychological disorders if following the DSM-IV-R causes issues.

Last edited by:  Shawn Crawford (Asgardian)  on Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 19:37 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 11:01 UTC

What ship/station?

"I would suggest developing a better screening processes for our young."

Good luck with that. Children are already over diagnosed as it is. With or without a family history.

"I have another suggestion, but it's somewhat controversial. I believe that there should be NO "safe spaces" in Asgardia."

That's not controversial, it's old school. This safe spaces shit needs to end everywhere. Not being able to cope with adversity is maladaptive. Kids these days......

Last edited by:  Asgardian 38254 (BANNED, Asgardian)  on Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 11:08 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Feb 27, 17 / Ari 02, 01 22:30 UTC

Aboslutely one or more should be opened up in Asgardia it is a requirement if we are to provide our citizens with healthcare as that refers to more than just medical health. As for the restraints they are better left in place, for the patients who would indeed harm themselves or others. The idea of removing or limiting them is dangerous and would needlessly place others in harm's way. Remember folks certain conditions can leave people unable to respond to reason. Let's not leave said folks in a position where they could harm someone or themselves. That would just be irresponsible and the hospital or psychological clinic would be at fault should the unrestrained patient harm themselves, a staff member, or another citizen. Which could mean it being sued and having to lay folks off or take other undesirable actions to cope with the financial hit

Updated  on Mar 16, 17 / Ari 19, 01 21:48 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jun 30, 17 / Leo 13, 01 17:51 UTC

I worry a little bit about people with personality disorders being up there tbh.

Aug 17, 18 / Lib 05, 02 11:46 UTC

Dears Asgardians,

Why not create an Asgardian's Healthcare Ministry with a global approach bio-psycho-cultural and politic ?

Why not create a groupe with all Asgardian's professionnals healthcare ?

Together, we can work and think about what we want for our space nation and our fellow citizen.