Jan 15, 17 / Aqu 15, 01 07:58 UTC

Psychology in space  

imagine yourself in a spaceship or spacestation, running thru the universe until it reachs another star but in the crew, you are the psychologist, that goes for a mission that we have sure by telescopes that have life...

shit happens houston is not there to you say "we have problem"

so, how do you react to a complete shutdown of the station, or spaceship, and none know why.

And the station is there going, over 100.000 km/h to nowhere now, without route without technology wihtout instuments like radar adn ever without a communication...

and what you as a psychologist should do? even if you have other skills in tech, engineering...

So, its a possible situation in anytime of earth lifespam... how psycho can prepare humans for situations like that?

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 13:32 UTC

That´s a really challenging situation. So many things i could do, need to organize my thoughts.

Jun 1, 17 / Can 12, 01 09:11 UTC

First thing I would do is make sure everyone is present and accounted for.

I would remind the crew that we are well trained and can handle any problems s that come our way.

After quickly getting everyone calm, I would then pose questions to the crew about what could have gone wrong and most importantly what can we do to fix said issues.

It would take avery level headed attitude, the crew as a whole needs a bedrock, I would do my best to be that bedrock, that center of gravity. Try to remind the crew that we are not dead, we have a series of critical problems, and that we can solve them.

Jun 1, 17 / Can 12, 01 13:13 UTC

Fear is what kills most people, or the behavior that comes from being afraid.

Therefore, the best way to keep everyone alive is to alleviate fear and keep them focused on getting things back in working condition.

TCB

Jun 3, 17 / Can 14, 01 06:01 UTC

I would actually use a combination of my disaster management training and psychological first aid training to manage the situation.

Jun 17, 17 / Leo 00, 01 01:36 UTC

Space travel is all about planning. As it is with every other aspect of a mission such as the one you described (which is absolutely fantastic, by the way), contingency plans will include guidelines you can go back to in order to know what to do as a psychologist. The enemy here would be anxiety, and the best way to prevent nervous breakdowns (including your own breakdown) is to know what to do. I think spending a lot of time designing contingency plans for every imaginable situation the mission could face would be essential for Asgardia.