Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 07:14 UTC

Asgardian skillset DB  

First, apologies if this would be the wrong section to place this. I'm sure a mod will sort it if not. Give it a week and it can just go into the dead thread bin.

Over in the Ministry of Equity and Resources yesterday a discussion arose (https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/resource-acquisition-and-management-86/topic/people-are-our-greatest-resource-440/) wherin it was decided it to be sane to have a database for searching for Asgarians by various features: specific skillsets, languages spoken etc.

The reason this has suddenly become your problem is in order to develop something that's actually useful, it'd be a pretty good idea to find out what facets you'd like to search for. Hence this post. Intent is to use replies to this post, here and in other places, to construct the forms to acquire this informaiton, the database to hold it, and the engine to search it.

So, what features would you like to search for in Asgardian citizens?

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 07:40 UTC

I think it would be good to search for individuals who have experience working on ships and aircraft. These individuals learn to live and work in tight spaces with other people for long periods of time.

Basic skills such a mechanical, electrical, botany, and engineering of all types.

I think having a test, or a forum of some kind to fill out to develop a personal portfolio of skills and personality would be a good way to find the right task for individuals

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 23:41 UTC

Yes. But not just ships and aircraft. You'd want, sensibly, to be able to search for any particular given skill or experience. This would allow to easily find within our own ranks those that would be most suitable to assist almost any given project and causing more rapid, and more sane developments.

This thread was purposed specifically to find what values would want to be searched for with view of constructing a form, and ultimately the database and search facilities.

To get this more back towards that intent, allow me to be as bold as to start some off. You should be be able to add and expand that from there.

• Educational qualifications (input via combobox, selections to be determined.)
  • Relevant experience (gained potentially by hobbies/interests, input as per qualifications)
  • Physical location (loose geographic divulged)
  • Contact details (input of preffered method of contact, multiple acceptables)

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 17:52 UTC

I don't know how useful this information would be, but...

Age, gender, height and weight. This information would be useful to help determine overall physical fitness of an individual.

Swimming skills. This may be useful in determining if an individual is fit for activities in zero gravity, although I understand swimming is different that floating in an airless environment.

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 01:16 UTC

I believe that since Asgardians will not have a piece of land, the most attractive resource are ourselves. I believe that this nation has to have the focus on technology.

This is there reason I believe the DB must assess the mathematics, Engineering, and science knowledge that Asgardians have.

Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 17:24 UTC

This database will be great to find people for jobs and vice-versa. But we must not forget to think 'outside-the-box'. While I am not an engineer, nor a master mathematician, I may be able to pose a possible answer for a problem that would work, but others would have to do the math for. We should try to keep an open mind about our nation problems as we go forward. Yes, there's over 500,000 people that may have an idea, but if only one of them can think differently enough to have a different solution that no one else thought of, then that voice must also be heard. I do agree that a searchable database should be built, and it will be huge having to be filled with the possible data. So the question gets posed to the Ministry about; when do we start? I say, now!

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 09:52 UTC

Leomarquie, you're right! We should include on that survey all kinds of skills our citizens have. IT, doctors, journalists, web designers, pilots, mechanics, teachers, lawyers, finance, economics and languages ( this one is already included on the register form).

This is the only way we can search for people that can solve our other problems that are under discussion on the other topics. Yes! Let's do it ASAP! :)

Last edited by:  VINICIUS VERAS (Asgardian)  on Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 09:53 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 10:31 UTC

Maybe we should better discuss how to do this DB. Should we organize the skills by area? What would they be? Teaching, technology, law, health? What do you think?

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 17:06 UTC

vveras, this is definitely going to be massive. I've had the idea to start breaking it down by skills area. This would seem to be the best starting point. The general information can start by getting basic personal data, (ie age, willingness to volunteer, physical limitations). Once the basic data is in, then each person can then go through a series of drop-down menus adding fields they have experience in, how long, and near the end of that section add specific text blocks for Asgardia to be able to run keyword searches through. The database should be able to allow others to add multiple skillsets, as well. There should be some kind of flag for people to check that, while having them enter their life skillsets, and knowledge base; that they will only be contacted if they choose to. Something that doesn't force them into a job their not wanting to commit to, but at least provide Asgardia with a knowledge reference point if we have a problem and are looking for people that may have a solution. What do you think about that to start?

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 01:34 UTC

Leomarquie, I believe this is a nice approach. We could use some infrastructure which has to be built yet, but is already under discussion in this forum under another topics, for example a community app: https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/communication-infrastructure-22/topic/community-app-404/

... Web site developments https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/technology-104/topic/i-can-help-with-the-web-developments-692/

A supplementary registration form should be filled out for this DB to be built. We could use the basic ideas we discussed here as guidelines.

Let's get into the other discussions and propose this?

Last edited by:  Alan Player (Asgardian)  on Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 03:19 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Added < > around forum links to make clickable.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 16:32 UTC

vveras, I totally agree. I've already subscribed to the two forum discussions. I think the 'Web site' would be the best starting place. The other Asgardians seem to feel the same as us about getting a jump and trying to work together.

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 11:57 UTC

A National Database of Asgardian skillsets would greatly enhance the organization and implementation of projects. I think we need to go beyond educational background and also consider general IQ and psychological testing to determine the best positions for Asgardians.

Dec 5, 17 / Cap 03, 01 03:33 UTC

I have been working on a model workflow to handle volunteers for [removal of unsanctioned link] just to handle such things.

Each User profile should have a place for each person to select the skills that they wish to let us know about.
Then, ideally, they whould pushed over to be tested on their skill or knowledge area and that should be recorded so that the volunteer coordinator for that skill or knowledge area will know the numbers of volunteers and what their evaluated skill level is. 

[Mod edit]: We appreciate your excitement about Asgardia! However, to help us maintain a good flow of information as we grow, we cannot endorse any group, page or website that is not affiliated with Asgardia.space.  
If you wish to affiliate with us or make your page/group official can you send details to Adminteam@asgardia.space for review.  

Last edited by:  Cpt Lorca (Asgardian)  on Dec 5, 17 / Cap 03, 01 06:18 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: removal of unsanctioned link. edited by Denise Blair 05/12/2017