Dec 20, 16 / Cap 19, 00 22:20 UTC

Life Support  

Hello and welcome to the Space Health Hazards Forum!

The transdisciplinary topic discussed here is all about Life Support challenges in Space environments (ECLSS) It may involve but is not limited to Spin-off and applications both for sustainable Earth (recycling, energy and resource optimizations) and any sustainable Spaceflight Program (environment control, pressure oxygen carbon dioxyde water junk temperature control loop management)

Let's have constructive and discerning exchanges together along with fun and friendlyness!

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 01:02 UTC

I agree with this concept it is definitely something that vitally needs to be cross examined such as recycling resources shit can be used as fertilizer, water will definitely need to be recycled and redistributed back into the environment we are going to need a [Removal of Content] TON of water and a way to create an artificial ecosystem that will be able to sustain and renew itself to maintain the population for generations.

MOD EDIT: Apologies this post has had a single obscene word removed. Thank you for your understanding

Last edited by:  Jason Rainbow (Global Admin, Global Mod, Asgardian)  on Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 01:11 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Removal of obscene word

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 16:48 UTC

Life support as I see it will include not just oxygen generation and CO2 gathering, and water and wastewater systems; but heat generation, radiation protection, (potentially) gravity generation (by whatever means) and potentially plant life.

The reason I include plant life is because they could provide benefits such as gas exchange, food, shade - and the decimation of one or more particular species in wide spread use on the station could lead to dramatic consequences.

In terms of "political" arrangement, I propose that each group of people who are responsible for overseeing a particular unit be directly responsible for it (eg "engineering" is in charge of physical plant items, "science/biology" is responsible for plant/insect items, etc), but there be a separate "director" or similar person who is in charge of "Life Support" as a whole.

These are only my suggestions.

Jan 29, 17 / Pis 01, 01 03:12 UTC

Effectively as jarod997 has put it, the subject of gravity is very important so that biological functions in humans are not seriously affected! I wonder if the project engineers have already resolved that issue? It seems insignificant and for many goes unnoticed but I consider it is a matter to be treated as the main thing in this project.

Last edited by:  Edgar Sanchez Alcocer (Asgardian)  on Jan 29, 17 / Pis 01, 01 03:40 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time