Dec 20, 16 / Cap 19, 00 21:57 UTC

Zero-G Adaptation  

Hello and welcome to the Space Health Hazards Forum!

The topic discussed here is all about Zero-G adaptation (long-duration) It may involve but is not limited to Muscles and Bones losses Visual impairment and intracranial pressure Cardiovascular and orthostatic deconditioning and remodeling Immunodepression Neurosensorial effects

Note- very limited knowledge about G-long-duration adaptations apart from 1g and 0g. Here is a place to discuss it!

Let's have constructive and discerning exchanges together along with fun and friendlyness!

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 15:21 UTC

We know that astronauts in the space station have to exercise to attempt to maintain muscle mass and prevent wasting from zero g (there are more issues to zero g than this, but it's a big issue).

What about something like this to aid the training in zero g?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/antelope-sportswear-muscle-activating-smartsuit-fitness-exercise#/

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 01:12 UTC

what about artificial gravity like building a generator that will magnetize the environment.... what kind of space station (nation) is this gonna be?

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 07:58 UTC

At least in the short term, there is no "zero-g adaptation" for humans; there are just lots and lots of short term and chronic health issues, and probably many more undiscovered longer term issues given that the longest a human has been in microgravity is 438 days. No amount of exercise, equipment, clothing can address all of these issues. Since humans evolved on a world with gravity, it is no surprise that the sudden absence of it would cause major physiological disruption.

Yes, the human species will change if placed only in a zero g environment, but evolution is a very slow process and it will take many, many generations. These changes would also mean that exposure to any gravity (or excessive g force) would most likely be deadly to these evolved humans. There is the possibility in the future of genetic engineering for rapid adaption to a zero-g environment, but the morality / ethics of this is highly questionable.

Magnetic boots may make getting around in zero-g a little easier, but does nothing to alleviate the physiological effects of zero g on the human body. The only logical and workable solution is the provision of artificial / simulated gravity. The easiest way to do this is to provide an axial spin on a torus or cylindrical shaped habitat and let centripetal force provide "gravity".

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 16:39 UTC

I think our goal should be to provide gravity as opposed to providing a means to deal with micro/no gravity.

Axial spin is our best bet so far, I'm still holding out for "gravity generators".

I've worked out a formula which I believe in theory could create "gravity waves", but I'm somewhat at a loss on how to change the speed of a given em wave.

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 01:21 UTC

I have a question about this. If a body were to experience varying g forces for extended periods, what effect would that have? For example: would 1 hour at 2G cancel out the health problems associated with 1 hour at 0G?

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 05:04 UTC

@ czardas

Unlikely. In fact the opposite it probably true. Going from one extreme to another is likely to compound the health impacts.

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 09:26 UTC

@ Scarbs, that was my thought too. However the extremes do not necessarily have to be between 0G and 2G. Also it might be possible to slowly reduce G force and circumvent some issues in a similar way that the body adjusts to changes of pressure when divers surface. I was wondering if experiments of this kind have ever been conducted. Thanks for your response.

Last edited by:  Nicholas Wilkinson (Asgardian)  on Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 09:29 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 28, 17 / Pis 00, 01 23:50 UTC

I do not know if I had thought of this, but using magnets to generate some artificial gravity could not be possible?

Jan 29, 17 / Pis 01, 01 01:35 UTC

Since gravity operates independently from all other forces and is related to mass only - no. Unless you had a diet really, really. REALLY high in iron, magnets would be of no use to create "gravity:.

Updated  on Jan 29, 17 / Pis 01, 01 04:42 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Mar 18, 17 / Ari 21, 01 20:27 UTC

I strongly suspect the healthcare costs of dealing with microgravity will exceed the costs of building a rotating station for artificial gravity.

We know a lot about what happens to adults in smicrogravity and it's not pretty. There are plenty of ways to mitigate it, but nothing is 100% effective so far and there aren't ideas to reach that threshhold. The bigger concern is pregnancy and child development, which have had very little research. Severe growth abnormalities are expected and it's possible children raised in microgravity may not be able to live in a normal gravity environment.

Apr 15, 17 / Tau 21, 01 05:48 UTC

if it comes to human, thought it needs long term monitor, maybe 4-5 generations through decades, record and track the physical checkup and gene check data. testing both normal & abnormal genotype, comparing to control groups on earth... afraid it's too costy, bro, heard there'r experiments with cells on chip going under customed-G environment.