Dec 28, 17 / Cap 26, 01 05:57 UTC

Space junk recycling  

So I'm not sure if there is already some set plans for creating a space station, if there is I would like to know where it's at. 

Anyway I'm not sure how feasible this would be, But wouldn't it make sense to design a satellite that catches and melts down space junk and then 3-d prints it to useful parts. This may be a way to get resources for an asgardia space station. 

Dec 29, 17 / Cap 27, 01 18:18 UTC

I think that is something like that needs to be done just to lower the likely hood of impacts with a space station. 

Jan 1, 18 / Aqu 01, 02 03:31 UTC

Good point but we will also need a way to get resources in space. This could be a way to begin harvesting some resources in orbit. We also need to think about water. I know some asteroids and comets could hold water, but we don't currently have the technology or reach to get to them

Jan 7, 18 / Aqu 07, 02 06:50 UTC

I posted a topic under Space Law regarding Space Debris, since I did not see this thread: https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/space-law-133/topic/space-debris-an-opportunity-for-asgardia-8648/

I agree that space debris provides several good opportunities for Asgardia, both in terms of providing leadership for defining international policy (which is currently lacking), but also in terms of services and salvage.  It would be exciting to see if we could organize a few teams of experts to get involved in the legal and technical aspects of managing debris.

Jan 7, 18 / Aqu 07, 02 07:48 UTC

we could even charge a fee for the service as well as collect and recycle it. Win,win, win! mater of fact i bet others putting sats into orbit later could make it to where they would float to the recyle center at the end of their service life.

Jan 8, 18 / Aqu 08, 02 06:07 UTC

I agree Johnathen!  Currently the ESA and JAXA have space debris programs for low-earth orbit, so are spending money now on the issue.  There is a growing consensus that reliance on voluntary guidelines might be insufficient.  It is possible stakeholders will need to pay fees to launch into low-earth orbit and follow de-orbiting procedures in the near future.  Fines could be assessed to stakeholders that fail to properly follow policy.  Existing owners of defunct satellites will likely be held liable if their debris damages other property, so risk management strategies are already being evaluated.  

Currently in the USA, geostationary satellites are required to move themselves into graveyard orbits at the end of their mission, and over 100 defunct satellites now occupy this "graveyard"(www.spacedaily.com/reports/The_GEO_Graveyard_May_Not_Be_Permanent_999.html).  A study was contracted by the UK Space program to evaluate how to manage their Geostationary satellites (www.hempsellastro.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Necropolis-Report-Issue-1.pdf), and outlines how to find and collect satellites for placement into a Necropolis.  The study is based on current technology, but does not evaluate a business model.  

For Asgardia, there is an opportunity to join in this process now.  For instance, being involved in drafting policy would cost us nothing but time, and many nations (Russia, Japan, USA, EU) realize that a Space Code of Conduct must be formalized (global.jaxa.jp/article/2017/special/debris/nishida.html).  Asgardia could be seen as a neutral party in negotiations, and would be an excellent forum to establish our presence internationally.

Ultimately, this could lead to many "wins" for Asgardia if we can organize a serious team and jump headfirst into trash!  In the short term, we should:

1. Determine the business model, especially from the perspective of satellite owners
  2. Educate ourselves on current voluntary guidelines set by the UN and what role Asgardia should have in the process.

For the business case, what is the total liability to an institution if their property accidentally damages another satellite?  It is more than the replacement cost of the satellite, because of the loss of service to the business or agencies it served (which could be significant).  Furthermore, the resulting debris cloud from that collision could add to their future risk of liability, causing their insurance costs to increase.  Understanding risk and how it will increase without action could provide a baseline for how much money to allocate to the problem and serve as a strong motivator to fund this work.  Future business case should look into refurbishing, repair, and recycling.  Future orbiting stations, such as the necropolis, could re-purpose solar-arrays and batteries into a power source, or furnish resources to future space stations or lunar bases for non-critical path assets... so many possibilities.

The UN guidelines and current standards from the Orbital Debris Co-ordination Working Group (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_Debris_Co-ordination_Working_Group) should be reviewed by those with legal experience to help draft international policy and understand what salvage rights we might have when cleaning up debris.

Perhaps we should organize a group to see if there is something to accomplish?

Last edited by:  Tom Verde (Asgardian)  on Jan 8, 18 / Aqu 08, 02 06:13 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time