Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 21:00 UTC

Station power source idea.  

After reading about the diamond batties, I thought about the solar winds. We could build Dyson-Harrop satellite/s and depending on the length of the collector wire and sail completely power the station using the charged electrons from the solar winds. WE could also have something alon the lines of Tesla's Power Wall batteries (not saying those in particular) as a storage unit. We could then have the Diamond batteries when the technology has matured and is capable of power generation as a backup generator option. As far as the satellite, we could use a wire about 600 meters long with a sail of about 300 meters long. Then instead of having an IR laser transmit the power to the station we could have a hard wired connection instead depending on the obit of the station and if it is static or geo-synchronised. also if we have two satellites the same same size at polar obits then the stattoo would have power from either or both if the IR laser transmitted power is instead utilized. BUT I have only been able to find limited info on the Dyson-Harrop satellite so my understanding of it is limited. Just thought of it as an idea.

Last edited by:  James Radke (Asgardian)  on Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 21:01 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 18:54 UTC

Transmission over distance shouldn't entertain physical connections - leaving giant cables trailing through space is unlikely to be clever, minimally snag concerns. If it's possible to transmit this "wireless" then it also opens up selling power to Earth, which should be possible to achieve at a rate that should be difficult to compete with forcing them away from more destructive power generation methods. Also having a single station would be fatally flawed, giving rise to a single point of failure taking out everything - and wireless transmission allows to trivially re-direct or reposition to multiple targets.

Storage methods are sensible to distribute across infrastructure in order to reduce total load from whatever prime power source is utilised during peak draw, or in the case of solar photovoltaics, to hold power whilst panels are occluded.

A Dyson-Harrop system does look like it may be a practical energy source, but in my opinion would be best suited nowhere near Earth's SOI, collections of which can occupy their own orbital belt of Sol specifically selected for greatest chance of being unmolested by exisiting celestial bodies and it's then somewhere that won't cause future problems - and a distributed network of would be able to transmit further out to relays or endpoints as required.

Updated  on Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 18:55 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: typo, additional data.

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 21:02 UTC

EyeR

Transmission over distance shouldn't entertain physical connections - leaving giant cables trailing through space is unlikely to be clever.

I agree. Maybe we could use microwave beams to transfer energy wirelessly, I know that their effectiveness in trasferring energy over long distance has been already proven I don't know the maximum distance until the beam loses focus though, but that could be compensated by placing small satellites in the middle who act as nodes and receive and re fire the beam towards the next satellite.

Last edited by:  Matteo Peron (Asgardian)  on Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 21:03 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 01:18 UTC

Radiation drawn from space, and solar power.

Jan 7, 17 / Aqu 07, 01 02:51 UTC

The problem with solar panels is the frequency with which they will require to be replaced. They typically burn out within 25yrs even inside atmosphere, and outside such protections lifespan can be much shorter - the best mitigation techniques to this at best adding on another 5 yrs.

How do your propose to convert "radiation" into "power"?

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 17:28 UTC

Stirling engines are frequently used in the dish version of Concentrated Solar Power systems. A mirrored dish similar to a very large satellite dish directs and concentrates sunlight onto a thermal receiver, which absorbs and collects the heat and using a fluid transfers it into the Stirling engine. The resulting mechanical power is then used to run a generator or alternator to produce electricity. ~Wikipedia.

Space-based power systems of many types have been studied in detail for many decades, with a very large number of studies and reports available. Stirling systems are among the best for use in space.