Do you think wireless energy could become an Asgardian standard?

Total number of votes: 16

87.5% Yes

12.5% No

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 22:52 UTC

Wireless Electricity on Asgardia?  

Nikoa Tesla was famous for his innovations in the realm of science and specifically electricity. It is well known that he had a very plausible idea to create a world - wide network for the transmission of energy and data. In today's world, such systems exist, however limiting. Some countries utilize AC while others use DC. Electricity is, with few exceptions, wired. Would it not be prudent to develop and one day implement the wireless transmission of electricity to our mobile devices (phones, tablets, and laptops) so that the generation of off-world habitants can never have to worry about finding their charging cable? Some mobile phones today are already utilizing conductive charging but this works on a very localized range. Would we be able to develop a way to harness wireless energy for our devices and never have to worry about a low battery again? 

I am not an engineer but a dreamer. I think this post might also belong on the Engineering forum but I thought that our technology experts might want to weigh in also. 

I have a fun vision for Asgardia, where we all use a lightweight tablet like device to interact digitally with our country. We can browse the networks, communicate, teach, learn and even pay for a meal all with this device. I am working on some conceptual sketches for such a device, but would love to hear you all weigh in on the idea of transmitting energy wirelessly throughout our space stations and moon bases. I assume that Solar energy will become a standard energy source as it is already being used on ISS and other space vehicles and would be a natural choice for our stations as well. It is near-free to use and we don't have to worry about the sun going dark for a VERY long time.

You can read about Tesla's project here: https://www.damninteresting.com/teslas-tower-of-power/

Jun 22, 17 / Leo 05, 01 05:56 UTC

-----EN-----

Technology cool and useful, but not for use in today's technology. To send energy to the device without cables, you have to take care of the whole band of waves that we know today as Wifi or cellular networks. It seems to me that devices in such an environment would not be stable and would have to be heavily shielded and grounded. Technology will be more useful when transmitting energy from the station to Earth or in another direction and rather by means of lasers, because they are easier to control.

-----PL-----

Technologia fajna i przydatna, ale nie do wykorzystania przy dzisiejszej technologii. By wysłać energię do urządzenia bez kabli trzeba zająć całe pasmo fal które znamy dziś jako Wifi czy sieci komórkowe. Wydaje mi się, że urządzenia przy takim środowisku nie działały by stabilnie i trzeba by je mocno ekranować i uziemiać. Technologia bardziej przyda się przy przesyłaniu energii ze stacji na Ziemię lub w innym kierunku i raczej za pomocą laserów, bo są łatwiejsze w kontroli.

Jun 22, 17 / Leo 05, 01 09:46 UTC

I think that Wireless Electricity will be very usefull but, as Icari wrote, before use it we need to understand the risks for our health and interaction with all other waves that we will use. Moreover on earth we use electricity with different voltage. How to manage this problem?

Jul 8, 17 / Leo 21, 01 15:40 UTC

I like the idea of Wireless electricity. However, there are safety concerns to think about. 1. oxygen may not react well with the wireless electricity (being in an almost pure oxygen environment in an enclosed space station). 2. dangers to human body with unknown frequencies floating through the station (how will this affect the human body?). 

Note: I currently use a wireless charger for my cell phone. I just place my phone on a circular pad and it charges the battery without plugging the phone into the charging station Pad.  

Jul 8, 17 / Leo 21, 01 16:03 UTC

Disney has such a development room set up.

https://www.disneyresearch.com/publication/quasistatic-cavity-resonance-for-ubiquitous-wireless-power-transfer/

UJP

Jul 8, 17 / Leo 21, 01 16:38 UTC

@ Phicksur,thanks for the link, its pretty good idea. However, it needs to be studied further for Space operations. Don't want to accidently blow up the station because of wireless charging. For me its only a matter of safety.

Jul 10, 17 / Leo 23, 01 01:37 UTC

I believe Dr. Igor is already in the process of having the first Space Platform designed and built. I believe the latest and greatest technologies will be put into this platform. Wireless energy may or may not be apart of it. I fell that it needs to be studied further for applications in Space and on Space Stations as you dont want stray voltages to cause a fire. 

Jul 10, 17 / Leo 23, 01 13:09 UTC

Virtually all the electricity we use today is generated in some fashion by magnetic fields.

LIH

Jul 10, 17 / Leo 23, 01 13:59 UTC

I saw that someone is studying wireless cellphone applications, but not to the cellphones "as a whole", as far as I read (don't ask me a link) the most part of the "phone" is left to a "base device" which carries out all "high energy" part (transmission, calculations, network protocols, etc.), while the user have just kind of a "walkie talkie" in his hands, able to handle low-power tx/rx.

The low-power part, from my point of view, can be carried out nearly "easily", into an artificial environment like a space colony (like ISS), using a network of cellular Access-Points: as the tx/rx traffic doesn't need to use mid/high powers, to transmit to high distances: just to say, each room can have a WiFi AP (even using InfraRed signals, if waves can be a problem: this solution have been proposed to my company at least two decades ago) which does the local tx/rx like a VHF radio, and the AP itself carries out the power-consumption jobs: radio signal digitalisation, TCP/IP (or any other protocol) encapsulation, transmission via intranet to the corresponding AP to the target user and so on.
Being the energies at microWatt degree (even if it must be seen how the project will develop) we can think to feed the power to the handheld phone-part with the transmitting signal, in a similar way we're already doing with RFIDs, for WiFi and, for IR a simple "solar panel" like the one used by handheld calculators can do the job.

I can see problems, with these methods, if the items are not "phones" but "tablets", and not 'cause of computational power consumption, as the "base station" can carry out the power job even in these cases, but 'cause of the display, mainly: I'm not aware of the low-power consumption ones (the persons who are working on phones, spoke about "digital ink" as a low-power way) and their response times. If the need is "just to read a text page" I think it can be done but, for graphical applications, even having in the hands the "interface" alone can require some power, for dynamic 2D/3D graphics.

Jul 10, 17 / Leo 23, 01 19:53 UTC

@petrv, I understand that, but when it comes to Wireless energy transfer what is the insulation of that? I don't think at this time we can say exactly what the insulation is of a wireless energy system is, as it is not in operation now, only in the creation and testing phase. In space you have to be very careful as to NOT set anything on FIRE, on stray voltage could mean nothing or it could mean the loss of the entire station and how many countless lives.

Jul 21, 17 / Vir 06, 01 05:32 UTC

Teslas inventions would have a beautiful impact on the advancement of our species. It is much easier and reliable to have everything fully charged in Asgarida without having to use a wall outlet. Unless you where to be in an area away from these sources. Then I suggest that some devices have solar panels, a regular charging slot, and possibly a mobile tesla energy generator ( much like the portable chargers used now). The wireless energy source would work much like wifi or other wireless services. 

Last edited by:  Christian Sheppard (Asgardian)  on Jul 21, 17 / Vir 06, 01 05:34 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Aug 1, 17 / Vir 17, 01 02:23 UTC

I am a fan of Wireless Power Transfer. I worked on the problem of transmitting power and data across metal shielded environments wirelessly; during my PhD. My thesis is indeed dedicated to Nikola Tesla and J.C. Bose. I sincerely believe, WPT should become our standard. Ofcourse, there are limitations; they are bound to be there.
Keep discussing the great ideas, Asgardians.
 I will end this reply which a small demo video of mine, illustrating its safety https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mEhi9OFI3w

Sep 11, 17 / Sco 02, 01 05:55 UTC

I am actually happy to see that my ramblings has sparked an intellectual conversation on the topic. I don't think that this technology is inherently dangerous and yes, obviously, we would have to undergo testing in a space environment to see if a full scale implementation would be practical. I was just pondering on how cool it would be to never have to charge your phone or mobile device/computer ever again because there would be no need for a battery or charger. How thin could our electronics become if we didn't have to dedicate 20% of the design space to storing energy because it was inherently abundant in the environment? Thanks everyone for the great input!