Are religious books the best guide to human being?

Total number of votes: 16

25% Religious books are the best guide to human being.

75% Religious books are not the best guide to human being.

Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 10:51 UTC

Religious books are the best guide to human being.  

There are many religions in this world.Every religion has it's good thinking for humanity.We should not mind the dark side thinking of any religion .We should follow creative bright side of the religion then we can get relax and happiness in our life.

Mod Edit moved from general discussion to theology. Zahira, 21/01/2017, 3:01pm

Last edited by:  Jewell Ledoux (Global Admin, Asgardian)  on Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 15:02 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 12:55 UTC

Religion has been the number one cause of justifying human suffering and death. Archaic ways of thinking should be banned so we can move forward as a unified species rather than continue barbaric superstitious mumbo jumbo that divides mankind.

Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 14:04 UTC

Huzzah Phoenixbyrd! I couldn't have said it better myself. Humanity has suffered (and continues to suffer) due to how religious books are interpreted.

The Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, Sudanese Civil War, 30 Years War, 80 Years War, Lebanese Civil War and the current issues with Islamic State - just a few of the treasures that humans have been "guided" towards thanks to religious texts and their interpretation.

Updated  on Jan 21, 17 / Aqu 21, 01 14:12 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 07:40 UTC

Dear asgardians, sir ,We must think on bright side of any religious idea.Dark side is also there ,we will not think about that.thanks.

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 08:05 UTC

If you dont think of the dark side, then you are blind. All sides must be taken into account. Religion has been the justifications for some of the worst atrocities in human history.

Last edited by:  George Vanderslice (Asgardian)  on Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 08:26 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 22, 17 / Aqu 22, 01 22:48 UTC

Ignoring the dark side of religious texts is like saying "Let's not think about how evil, greedy and dangerous humans beings have the potential to be". Sure you can do that, but it will bite you in the ass down the road.

Jan 25, 17 / Aqu 25, 01 07:12 UTC

Respected sir, I agree with your idea of dark side of religious texts.About it I want to say that asgardians are the core of intelligence and have deep knowledge .I suggest to everybody not to follow the dark side of ideas given in any religious book.We should follow only bright side of the texts.thanks.

Jan 29, 17 / Pis 01, 01 05:53 UTC

But there lies the issue. Who decides what is light and what is dark. In most religions, this is one of the main of the reasons why they split into numerous denominations and denominations split into various schisms.

A good example of this is the book of Leviticus that makes an appearance in the Hebrew Bible and the Jewish Torah. This book lists an extensive range of "offences" and their corresponding penalties, many of which was death. Some of these are typically held as norms by almost all of the world (like murder, assault, incest, purgery, stealing and dishonest business practices). Most would be viewed as really extreme in a civilised society (like letting your hair become unkempt, eating fat, trimming your beard, mixing fabrics in clothing and planting different seeds in the same field). A few are still the cause of differing opinion between / within denominations today (like homosexuality, getting tattoos and touching seafood that has no fins or scales ).

The point is that when Leviticus was written, all the rules listed in it was for the purpose of "staying in the light". Now, most of these rules are typically viewed as weird or evil.

Jan 29, 17 / Pis 01, 01 09:46 UTC

Dear respected asgardians,sir, I want to tell that the texts or books related to evil thoughts are not religious .The secret thoughts are concerned to any religion and these thoughts are full of humanity.All we should be aware to follow the ideas given in these books.If destructive ideas are there these books will not be considered in the catagory of religious books.thanks.

Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 23:57 UTC

WHAT??? Leviticus is one of the books in the the Bible - the religious text of Christianity. It is also one of the books in the the Torah - the religious text of Judaism. Are you saying that the mainstays of these religions are not religious texts or are you saying that the punishment for certain "crimes" in Leviticus are not destructive (for example, stoning homosexuals to death)? I'm confused.

Updated  on Jan 31, 17 / Pis 03, 01 07:51 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 31, 17 / Pis 03, 01 15:04 UTC

dear asgardians, The books or texts related to criminan stories are not religious according to my view the aim of texts must be full of humanity then they are religious texts thanks.

Feb 4, 17 / Pis 07, 01 14:12 UTC

It won't let me vote for the logical answer of; religious texts are not the best guide to being human.

Feb 4, 17 / Pis 07, 01 15:34 UTC

Now I may end up offending people, and in advance I am sorry, looking at religion as a whole, I only agree with it, if it makes an individual a better human being. Now it doesn't have to be in books, or what people say, or who they pray to, just being better than you already are is the best thing and if religion helps you be that person, then even better.