Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 15:57 UTC

Can Asgardian inspired artworks drive the development of our cultural identity?  

I just completed an Asgardia inspired mural project inside one of the industrial buildings I curate here in Montreal. Myself, and a few artists I work with created a walkthrough model of a conceptual space station. I have since received many curious questions from the artists and musicians working in the building regarding Asgardia (likely due to the giant Asgardia banner in the entranceway mural) and this has given me the opportunity to explain the story and concept to them much to their amusement and interest, and perhaps, their future involvement. I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas on this in your own art, music, poetry etc...merry holidays :)

Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 21:30 UTC

Dirk, if you create an artistic interpretation related to or referencing Asgardia I believe that would fall under fair use but please correct me if I am wrong about that... If you make a web banner I'd love to see it perhaps it will inspire me to create one too :) Merry day to you

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 23:31 UTC

Wonderfully presented Valery, I agree on many of your points save that we cannot create culture. I suggest the world we know is the sum total of our collective imaginations, past and present which has drawn us incrementily toward the "reality" we now share. What would happen if, understanding that, we were to create a culture by design rather than by accident. How could we change long held notions within art and culture we find to be of little use.

so happy to see you here by the way, I've been enjoying your photography on instagram :) bonne année

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 15:21 UTC

I think the question by shanewatt is "Can Asgardian inspired artworks drive the development of our cultural identity?". To me either a nation culture was created or not and either it ended bad or good, something was done consciously or unconsciously to contribute to the growth or development of a nations culture. So by the question "Can Asgardian inspired artworks drive the development of our cultural identity?", it is a big yes.

Art in every form can and will help develop our nation culture, what ever it is going to from into. Art, either it was introduced into a culture or was created by their very own citizens had a great impact on that nation. It is true other things influence the culture of a nation but here the question is can art help drive the development of our cultural identity, and we all know that art is a great force that can do more than just help drive the development of our culture.

Either we agree to it or not, or we like the result it will bring about when we create it or not, art can create culture and change it into something else. Must of our believes, one way or the other turns into art.

So art is a powerful tool, I will refer to it as such, that can create a safe path on which we can create or guide the development of our cultural identity. like it or not culture develops and what ever we do as a nation contribute to the development of our culture. I will prefer we using art to guide it, to get the best culture humans can offer.

Last edited by:  Samuel Ofosu-Hene (Asgardian)  on Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 15:23 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 14:46 UTC

Thanks SamuelOH, I like the idea of art guiding a the larger society. I wonder how the surrounding environment might affect the types of artwork and music one might create and how they might drive artistic movements and collectives in a different direction, say a better balance of institutional and public, participatory creations .

Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 22:44 UTC

I'm totally with Valéry. Culture is an abstract word filled with many entites, mostly unaware they are making culture. More than difficult it's dangerous to plan a culture. Societies are organic living beings following the laws of nature, finding their own ways to survival and development. Asgardia is a newborn with potential. I think that the personal blogs are a powerful ground to discover who we Asgardians are and were we are going and, as a start, blogs are a wonderful stage for Asgardian arts.

Last edited by:  Laura Marsano (Asgardian)  on Jan 11, 17 / Aqu 11, 01 22:45 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Feb 22, 17 / Pis 25, 01 21:55 UTC

Yes, they can by exposing the world to our culture and gaining it recognition from other cultures

Updated  on Feb 22, 17 / Pis 25, 01 21:55 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 02:49 UTC

"A cultural identity is never a creation. Culture is something dynamic and organic. A cultural identity is emerging and is a consequence of a cultural scene. And the best way to get it is to create the good context for culture. "

-Valery Grancher.

Perfectly said. Our vision and our way of expressing will create all that should be created in that regard. We don't need to force anything.

As of right now, Asgardians as a "people" or "community" have absolutely 0 cohesion. We are not united. We are an internet forum with an ideology.