Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 17:27 UTC

Greetings and salutations  

I'm new here; I absolutely love the idea. If this hasn't been the longest running dream of anyone who was a Gundam fan; I'm not sure what is. If we take a serious look at the future of our Race we must eventually come to the point where space exploration is the only rational step. In this, I have found my reason for joining, even though the idea of piloting a giant Mech was a large motivator.

I've always been a dreamer, end of the bleeding blade in pursuit of technological understanding. I believe if we are to exist, we must discard what tethers us to materialist ideals, becoming one with each other in understanding, and with time we will eventually make sense of what was missed. It is impossible for us to see so much of the "Big Picture" that we might understand anything more than what is immediately and readily available for interpretation. Yet; I believe that if we, the scientific and beautiful minds of the world were to come together, with a unified voice and dream structure; If that were to occur we could see more, do more and know more. We could help more.

V/r

Valor.

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 17:53 UTC

Welcome!

Not sure how many giant mecha you will find in the works (pretty sure it's zero) but glad to have your enthusiasm.

Make sure you hold it tight. Things move pretty slow around here, so if you are impatient you'll burn out pretty quick.

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 18:00 UTC

Welcome to the Asgardia Forums! We have many discussions and projects happening at the moment. We welcome your ideas. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the terms if you haven’t already. Let us know if you have any questions. https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/forum-announcements-10/topic/asgardiaspace-posting-rules-82/ Make sure to keep up with Asgardia News and Announcements at https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/asgardia-news-9/

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 18:43 UTC

High Valor! Glad to see your here! I won't repeat what Zahira said, only to again say "welcome to Asgardia"!

Leo

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 02:17 UTC

I'd guess at a slightly higher number than 0. Just beacuse it isn't talked about doesn't mean it's not happening. It seems to be a popular subject.

Mechs are not progressing particulary rapidly, things like the two meter tall Kuratas are a good start, but limited application. Megabot Mk II is a little bigger but a lot slower and much lower tech target acquisitioning and not even a HUD. I seem to recall some .jp buisinessman was funneling his firms profits into one - last I see it had a leg constructed up to about the knee, and asking for others to join in on the project. I'd peg it at about 11 meter when constructed. Various powered skeletons are at various stages - I've seen a model being developed for military application that uses a nuclear battery to let the operator lift two tonnes and jog at 25MPH with virtually no effort.

When it comes to things like 80 meter tall mechs then actually building it becomes a nightmare. 0G manufacturing however can allow for easier movement of larger single peices and further allow assembly to the point where it can begin to support itself. To assume this is intended to walk about, then the weight of something that large, and the transference of these forces... it'll need big feet. Lots of suspension. Use around structures is likely to create as much damage as an earthquake - and thats before you stamp on things.

Smaller mechs defintiely could be of tangible use - like the caterpillar P5000 in aliens - for manipulating multitonne loads easily. Something of similar specifications shouldn't be too difficult to build, either.

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 09:17 UTC

Ahh Yes; The Mech part was just a bit of Humor to go with the introduction. HOWEVER

I do follow the current progress on earth concerning mech's And that would be a great topic to have sometime. As EyeR elaborated; The field is a very active and ongoing pursuit of many researchers. I just hope we can manage to redirect our primal desire to conquer everyone else, and use the mechs to protect everyone else. Perhaps we find Cthulu hanging out in Low Orbit and decide the Old ones got to go.