Asgardia is electing its mayors, and today we are starting a series of interviews with the election participants. We will talk with the different candidates for mayor from different countries around the world. We do not specifically select candidates to be interviewed; any candidate who would like to tell about themselves and their campaign to the entire nation of Asgardia has now this opportunity. Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line "interview" and your interview can be the next one.
Today we glad to introduce to you Mr. Paul Stone - the candidate for Asgardia’s mayor from Las Vegas, Nevada, Usa.
- Hello Paul, Thank you for agreeing to answer our questions. Tell us about yourself: who you are, why did you become a resident of Asgardia?
- To tell you a little bit about myself is something I think that develops over time the more you know someone the more you get to know someone. I do not feel I could do self justice to explain who I am to you from my own perspective as I am sure others from their own viewpoints might see me differently. Either way I continue to strive for a positive outcome before words can paint a situation pale by comparison.
My name is Paul M. Stone - I was born on an Air Force base in the United States on September 7th 1977. Both of my parents were enlisted in the Air Force and that is where they met. My entire family as far back as I can trace has always had a hand in the government or military as far back as 1633 Scottish borderliers that warned Robert the Bruce that King Edward the Second was to attack to Thomas Stone the 32nd signer of the Declaration of Independence in the United States.
I was born into a family that was very proactive in the rapidly evolving world around us. I always felt that I had a calling to also go that extra mile and take up that mantel and do something also proactively in the aid and support of our rapidly evolving world into this now our First Space Nation.
I truly believe that in order for the human race to continue on with it's existence, we need to leave this planet of our origin Earth and venture out into space and colonize other worlds, create new civilizations and yes even boldly go where no species has gone before and we do that by starting somewhere. Yes we have to start somewhere is just as important as knowing that we have to finish what we started also. Hand in hand these two things will help see us through together as the First Space Nation of Asgardia.
There are many reasons why I decided to become a citizen of Asgardia. And in further detail at sometime down the road in the future maybe in person I would be glad and honored to discuss those. But right now make no mistake the true underlying purpose of why i do this and that is because I believe not only in Asgardia's purpose and plane but also I believe in it's people that are putting it all together. Because they know also the importance of this Nation's successful growth. When people can help to support each other, incredible things can and do happen. Keep a heart full of love an ear willing to listen and a hand willing to help because how we decide to treat others says a lot about who we are ourselves. There is no doubt as a team, as a Nation, Asgardia is the step in the right direction.
- Now you decided to run for the position of mayor. Could you tell me why?
- I decided to run for the position of Mayor for my respective region of Asgardia for many reasons but a lot of them very similar in nature and eventually all resounding to personal responsibility. I have a sense of responsibility to see to it that I can do everything I can to aid in the betterment of humanity and seek to build a more peaceful world, in this case, build a more peaceful Space Nation.
I also believe that I have what it takes to be an effective leader in situations that are rapidly evolving and can at time a cool head under stress. I come with skills that the average everyday person doesn't have. And I am confident that I can more effectively put my skill set to proactive use for the betterment of Asgardia in the role of Mayor. I can do more for more people by becoming a Mayor of Asgardia because of what I know and what I know I can do with what I know. I have always believed in, "The Right Tool For The Job" - And when I came across Asgardia and this Space Nation I knew right from the beginning, this is what I was meant to be doing. I am passionate about what I do and when I do something I do it to it's most potential. I know you will be happy with what not I can set in motion but what we as a Nation can accomplish together.
- Ok. And what contributions do you hope to make to your local community during your term as mayor?
- There are ways, even simple ways we can all share in the responsibility of giving back to our community. But to just share a few of my own key contributions that I hope to make to my respective region of Asgardia as Mayor.
I plan to various activities. Promote local business and the local skilled labor force. Promote a healthy community through holiday food drives and other community gatherings for moral support of the communities wellbeing. Sponsor youth sports teams both interdependently and adjoined with local school functions.
We can set up donations and charities throughout the community that can be always ongoing to aid in the building of and stabilization of Asgardia. Holding contests is also a great way to encourage moral within the Nation for designing logos to a new system or designing a flag or designing a local t-shirt for a business, all these things encourage awareness and cultivates the character of having a personal investment into your own community and seeing what you can make happen also as a citizen of Asgardia of the community as a larger entity.
Sponsoring events are a great way to get people together also and spread the word around to each other about what might be going on lately in the community and a great way for people who have never met before meet for the first time. Occasionally new civic buildings will offer local residents the option of purchasing a brick or stone, either or the walkway or in the building itself as a way of self ownership in the town. Such a purchase gives every citizen the opportunity to contribute to the progress while enjoying a little publicity too. Building entire homes and neighborhoods for each other our communities building and growing together, that is the vision I see. By reaching out to the local skilled labor force we can also encourage the community to value each other’s specialized skill.
When we work for the betterment of humanity for a peaceful world for each other we are cultivating that character of employee volunteerism. Where the person wants to actively take part in their community and is not discouraged by being overlooked for the value they can offer. - there is far more to running a successful mayors office then just to oversee a city's main departments, including the police, fire, education, housing and transportation departments, peaceful enforcement of laws, collection of taxes and other things as well.
I want to make sure that my Mayor's office is known also as the community's office as well.
- It’s very interesting but what problems are Asgardians in your district(city) facing and what would you do to help?
- As I said, I want to make sure that my Mayor's office is known also as the community's office as well. And Mayors are in a unique role of being in the public's eye enough where they can talk actively about situations and topics that may sometimes be lost in the media and frustrate the local citizen because they might think there is not enough coverage or not hearing what they want to hear from their own elected officials. Being able to speak to your citizens is effectively important as what you say to them.
A problem for citizens in many areas is citizens believing they don't hear enough from their own elected officials and only hear from the those in the head office. Many citizens value a home own approach and feel comforted in knowing that there is no need for oversight on a larger level when the local elected officials can do what they were elected to do by their people.
Electing someone to do a job is just as important as knowing that they can do the job and also they have the tool needed to do the job or jobs, maybe plural more than one job as needed as they come. And when you can trust your local Mayor with that much confidence it builds a greater confidence in the rest of the government system as an entire whole.
- Paul what do you think are the most interesting projects that could be realized in the future by the space nation Asgardia?
- The most important thing that can be done right now for the Space Nation of Asgardia is to create a free and unrestricted society that holds knowledge, intelligence and science at its core along with the recognition of the ultimate value of each human life. The central objective is to always maintain peace in space and always protect the welfare of humankind.
Also I believe Asgardia should always aim to achieve a balance of general space and planetary interests and relationships, and obviously its own national interests. For example; Asgardia still has to get approval from the UN security council to be officially recognized . That is a very important step.