Feb 10, 19 / Pis 13, 03 20:51 UTC

Language translator  

I was sliding through the blogs and noticing how many languages are represented. Of course, my browser is already in English (android) so I cant use the browser translate,,, and i tried copying the text for a quick google search, but i would actually need to first find a translator app, then input the text. I thought,,, How hard would it be to have the blogs translate to a drop-down language in situ??? 

Feb 28, 19 / Ari 03, 03 09:27 UTC

I am not experienced, but I am also about to start my career as a translator. I am not too much interested in interpretation. I studied language in the university, but I cannot recommend any schools because I am not living in L.A. As for translation:

- Translators should master both the source language and the target language.

- Depend upon semantic translation instead of literal translation. That is to say, you should translate the meaning and not the words.

- Try to consider the cultural gaps between both the source text and the target text, specially in literary translation (check an article called UNTRANSLATABILITY in Wikipedia). There are also translation theories that can help you to deal with cultural gaps. These theories are like Newmark's semantic and communicative translation. I used Newmark's theory in my graduation research which included tackling the problem of untranslatability as well as translating a short story full of cultural gaps. There are other theories like Nida's theories, but I prefer Newmark's theories.

- Try to condsider the audience or the customers you are translating to. For example, you can use a language that is more complicated and sophisticated when you address highly cultured people. If you are addressing the public or children, try to use a simple language.

- Each field has its specific jargon and terms. For example, economic translation is different from legal translation and both of them are different from medical translation.

- It is not enough to study language and translation in an academic place. Try to have training in places like translation offices to gain more experience in the field of translation.

- Any translator must have computer skills. 

Feb 28, 19 / Ari 03, 03 13:28 UTC

need help on deciding which career path to choose, I'm going to be a junior in H.S. this year and I need to know whether I should be looking at colleges or trade schools. I know, in the long run, that a translator has more money involved in it, but language and hair are my two passions. Can someone give me the pro's and cons of both?

Last edited by:  Mariya Kudryavtseva (Asgardian, Member of the Parliament)  on Mar 1, 19 / Ari 04, 03 05:02 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times
Reason: [external Link Removed]

Mar 29, 19 / Tau 04, 03 12:05 UTC

This is the basic thing which i need t know how it converts the language and in nowadays all browser giving this translating facility.

[external Link Removed]

helped me to get the solution.

Apr 24, 19 / Gem 02, 03 04:11 UTC

My two cents.

I prefer to see a post in the writer's native language. I then have the choice of how or if to translate it.  

On the other hand...

Machine translation is sometimes very good, but also sometimes very bad. I would prefer that a writer not feel the need to use it to translate to a more popular language, because the translation is not being offered. 

NB: Even if/when it is auto translated, I would still want to see the original.