Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 16:28 UTC
Asgardian Constitution: Proposals for Changes ¶
I have discontinued maintaining this thread due to actions by the leadership of Asgardia. I wish everyone well, and encourage you to take the action you believe in.
It is the purpose of this thread to list out the constitution as proposed for Asgardia with suggested edits noted under the appropriate sections, along with the names of those suggesting the edits in the order given within this thread. The first name shall at all times be the author of the suggested edit.
If at a later point in time the length of this thread proves to warrant it, the thread will be broken into small subsections and those sub-threads will be linked to from here.
This thread is not meant for criticism of suggestions by others
If you feel a suggested change is detrimental, you are encouraged to either submit your own suggestion or support an alternative. You will be able to voice your support for a section of the constitution 'as is' by listing the article and appropriate subsection with mention of your support for it as is. Comments of support for the entire constitution as is will be measured separately from individual articles. Suggestions of new articles and subsections will be listed in the order received under the appropriate sections of the Constitution.
I will not be going through old comments to look for edits. Please make a new comment should you change your position on a change.
How to propose/support/oppose an edit
Propose Change: I propose an amendment to Article 5.3. that reads as follows: Asgardian territory on Mars is limited to peacefully and lawfully acquired natural hard and liquid surfaces on Earth and man-made platforms situated on such surfaces.
Support Change: I support Stephen Ritterbush's amendment 1 to 5.3.
Oppose Change: I support Article 5.3. as is.
Chapter 1. DECLARATION OF UNITY OF ASGARDIA
- Asgardia is a free and unified, and uniquely multicultural and multi-ethnic Space Kingdom.
- The objectives of Asgardia are:
- To ensure permanent peace in space;
- To ensure equal opportunities in space for all Asgardians residing on Earth, regardless of geographic, financial, technological and other specificities of the countries of their Earthly citizenship;
- To ensure the safeguarding of planet Earth and the entire humankind.
- To ensure equal opportunities in space for all citizens of planet Earth, especially those living in the developing countries
- Any resident of Earth can become a citizen of Asgardia, as long as he assents in the Declaration, and abides by the Constitution and the legislation of Asgardia.
- All citizens of Asgardia are equal, regardless of their Earthly country of origin, residence, citizenship, race, nationality, gender, language, or financial standing.
- Asgardia respects the laws of Earth’s states and the international treaties on Earth, and wishes to be recognised as an equal among the states on Earth.
- Asgardia does not interfere in the affairs of Earth’s states based on reciprocity.
- Asgardia participates in the international-level events on Earth, like any other country, based on its membership in the respective international organizations.
- Asgardia respects and complies with the rights of citizens of Earth states, and protects the rights of its citizens in the exclusivity of their space nation citizenship in accordance with international law
- Asgardia does not engage in politics, and has no place for political parties. But every Asgardian can freely participate in political life on Earth.
- Asgardia mirrors the Earth, but does not reflect Earthly borders. At the same time, in the framework of Earthly law, every Asgardian can freely live within the borders of any Earthly country.
- Asgardia is a country of free spirit, science, technology, humanitarianism, internationalism and universalism. But every Asgardian can freely practice any religion on Earth.
- There is no place for the historic legacy of Earthly conflicts in Asgardia. Asgardia creates a new exclusively peaceful non-military and progressive history of the future space humankind.
Chapter 2. General Provisions
Article 1. Name of the Nation
Space Kingdom of Asgardia. The terms “Space Kingdom of Asgardia” and “Asgardia” are synonymous.
- Proposal 1 for Amendment to Article 1: Space Nation of Asgardia. The terms “Space Nation of Asgardia” and “Asgardia” are synonymous. - kseltar
Article 2. Status
Asgardia is the first space independent, free, unitary, social nation under law that is transethnic, transreligious, based on morality, fairness, peace and the equal dignity of every human being, which looks to the future and the infinite Universe, Constitutional Monarchy.
Article 3. Mission
To ensure the existence and development of the Space Nation of Asgardia and the new space humanity.
Article 4. Supreme Values of Asgardia
- Asgardia’s Supreme Values are the most common and permanent foundations of the self-identification of Asgardian citizens which form the commonality of Asgardian society and lie at the heart of the objectives and activities of Asgardian governmental bodies, citizens and associations.
- The Constitution, laws and other regulations of Asgardia, as well as the activities of its governmental bodies, implement and protect Asgardia’s Supreme Values.
- Asgardia’s absolute supreme value is humanity striving into the infinite future, into the infinite Universe, and infinite new Universes.
- Asgardia’s Supreme Values in fulfilling its Mission are:
- peace in space and the peaceful settlement of the Universe;
- ensuring equality of opportunity in space for all Asgardian citizens;
- safeguarding Earth and all of humanity from space-originating threats;
- unity of space humanity as a community;
- human dignity, human rights and freedoms and the harmonious development of the individual;
- human happiness, life, love, children and family, and the propagation of the human species;
- supremacy of law;
- preservation of space environment;
- community and mutual support;
- scientific and artistic creativity and the belief in the boundless potential of human reason, knowledge, labour and progress;
- peace, tranquillity, safety, security and confidence;
- morality, fairness and freedom;
- harmonious existence of the individual, society and the nation.
- Asgardia’s Supreme Values are equally important and equally implemented in the governmental administration. In the event of a conflict between the Supreme Values, the absolute supreme value of Asgardia prevails.
- Asgardia’s Supreme Values apply to relations with people and states of Earth, as well as any discovered alien intelligence.
- It is prohibited to undermine or diminish the Supreme Values of Asgardia. Asgardia and its citizens must implement and protect its Supreme Values from internal and external infringement.
Article 5. Territory
- In a legal sense Asgardia’s territory is a digital nation with living citizens on Earth; in a scientific and technological sense Asgardia is a nation implemented on a Low Earth orbit in the form of a satellite or an orbital satellite constellation; or on Earth; and on the Moon and other celestial bodies.
- Asgardia expands its territory by creating Asgardian localities on Earth, Low Earth orbits and celestial bodies.
- Asgardian localities on Earth are peacefully and lawfully acquired natural hard and liquid surfaces on Earth and man-made platforms situated on such surfaces.
- Asgardian localities on Low Earth orbits are satellites, orbital satellite constellations, man-made platforms (Arks); measures for safeguarding Earth and Asgardia, and other elements.
- Asgardian localities on celestial bodies are Asgardian celestial entities on the Moon and other objects in the Solar System and elsewhere in the Universe.
- Asgardia expands its territory by obtaining new localities on Earth, in space and on celestial bodies.
- Asgardia uses adjacent territories (hard surfaces, subsurface resources, oceans, atmospheres, space, celestial bodies) in accordance with generally recognised international principles and norms, as well as international treaties to which it is a party.