Jan 10, 17 / Aqu 10, 01 19:16 UTC

Medical research and healthcare  

Hi, I think this topic should be discussed becouse it is very important for us to be prepared for the possible bad effects of living in space over the health of people. To do that we have to make shure that we have the technology and the knowledge to treat all the possible diseases that may arise when people spend long periods of time in space. As well I think that Asgardia should have a public and universal healthcare system, because it is the only way we can prevent this potencialy new diseases from realy harming people as well as detecting infectious diseases and preventing their expansion. The private medical sector should also be encouraged because it would probably help in research and economic growth. The public healthcare system of Asgardia could be similar to the one used in most european countries like Spian for example, but it would probably have to do more research that the current systems in Earth to cope with the new conditions of space. Thank you very much I think this is an usefull topic for disscusion.

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 10:59 UTC

We should investigate about this chemical stuff that are using in our lives, i suggest don't repeat the medical sistem healthcare of any country of this planet, i'm living in spain, and i don't suggest this system, really. The medicine should be connect with spiritualy too, not only mecanic body.

Jan 13, 17 / Aqu 13, 01 14:27 UTC

I get your point on not basing our healthcarre system on a previous one, but is sugested the spanish one because despite having problems, like long waiting lists, old equipment and infrastructure in some hospitals, low wages for the healthcare workers, a decentralized organization which brings inequality in the treatment options to citizens of diferent parts of Spain of the and a very low capacity for the volumen of patients that seek medical atention. The spanish system has great things like being free and universall to everibody and in cases where the life of somebody is at risk treatment is always started very soon and even surgery if that person is for example an oncological patient. As well we have a state of the art national transplant organization, which performed a total of 4,769 organ transplants in 2015, and which is being used as a model to set up their own transplant system in other countries like China. This brigs us to Spain having a life expectancy at birth of 83.30 in 2014 (sorry i couldn't find more recent data), which is among the highest in the world. I used this country as an example because Im spanish and im a 6th year medical student, thats why I started this post because I think it could be usefull for Asgardia and its something in which I can help. I agree with you in the fact that medicine should take in account the wellbeing of the patients too, the spirituality is important to lots of people but you cannot expect to cure food poisinig by praiyng. There is some evidence thet meditation increases the grey matter volumen of the brain, and it might have healing properties, but I dont think this is because some supernatural effect of meditation, but maybe because meditation changes the mindset of somebody and that beneficial change expands from the brain to the rest of the organism, still reaserch should be done on this so that doctors are shure if it works or it dosn't and can use it in tratments, and maybe show the people meditation skills that might enrich their inner ilfe. Another very exciting thing about the Asgardian project is that we have the chance to make our own laws. On Earth research with many psychoactive drugs is banned, like for example with psychedelics or empatogens which might prove usefull in the treatment of anxiety or depression with one or only a few sessions instead of for example giving Valium or antidepresants to somebody for life forgeting about it and making that person take mind altering drugs every day. Luckily there is some research that is starting to be conducted about the use of psylocibin on the treatment of death related anxiety on terminally ill patients. And its having some success on making people feel more happy in the little time they have gone left, and I think that is great news. This is why I wanted to include medical research in the topic because we might have a chance to start investigating stuff that has not been payed atention until now, or si forbiden, or is just not profitable enought to bother and it might help people on Space and on Earth from a different point of view, taking in mind the wellbeing of people. As well, in space colonization medical research should be a priority, in my opinion, because the human body is going to face conditions it has never faced before. And we better be prepared.

Jan 15, 17 / Aqu 15, 01 11:10 UTC

@Rubysoho

Are you suggesting we start from zero with our healthcare? I don't think you realize how far we have come already. It would be a really bad idea to throw all of it/parts of it away.

Jan 18, 17 / Aqu 18, 01 07:21 UTC

Agree with Jens; We have plenity of choises, but why would we waste the advances of cientist and medics all over eart, we should first research all the strong points in the medical sector from each country, for example. Cuba is a country in develop, but is well know that they have the best medics in matters of diagnostics, or japan, wich have the best surgeons, or Mexico, wich, even don't having enought money to handle all people illnes, is doing an overwhelming efford( actually working) on prevention of diseases(vaccines, healt publicity, capacitation, information to population, etc). Don't actually have to "Start" we can just climb up in the shoulders of the gigants.

Jan 18, 17 / Aqu 18, 01 19:26 UTC

So long as the healthcare system doesn't fallow the model of the United States. Which is we will treat you if you have the money.

Jan 20, 17 / Aqu 20, 01 04:55 UTC

My english is so bad, sorry, i am from Argentina and I am a doctor. i think that Asgardia will be a country better and more advanced in medicine that earth. Prevention is the key, not some health system. If we think in Cuba, Spain, USA, all have very good points. We will have think to the medicine of the future, not the past and present. Create, inspire and found new forms to see the body and mind. salutations asgardians.

Jan 23, 17 / Aqu 23, 01 14:01 UTC

Dear fellow Asgardians,

As a biologist (involved in biomedical as well as agricultural research) and bio-psycho-spiritual trainer I suggest a holistic (and mainly preventive) healthcare system, That is: including scientifically-based medicine and also alternative modes of medicine like herbal medicine from around the planet, acupuncture, energy medicine, etcetera. In this way we can combine the best of various discipline, based on the individual needs and wishes of each patient.