Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 16:46 UTC

Asgardia University  

I hereby propose the creation of an educational and research institutute which shall be named "Asgardia University" (AU, which is a happy coincidence astronomers out there will understand). It's purpose(s):

• To preserve humaniy's aquired collection of knowledge, (most probably in a database siting in the first satellite or satellites)
  • To make it open for everyone, and especially every Asgardian.
  • To level-up Asgardian's population educational level to high-educational standards.
  • To do research on space-related fields and prepare people to be able to do so.

AU would of course excel in all fields, especially science (as excpected from such a science-centric nation) and will focus on astronomical and aerospace sciences and engineering. Asgardia University could first have it's Campus in Midgard, or even live solely on the web for the first years. In the future the main Campus would obviously sit in Asgardia, in space.

"B-but wait! Who will pay for all this stuff!"

Asgardia University could benefit from a large number of onlne that courses already up and running, or even create its own at a very low cost, and then certify it's citizens (again, I'm speculating here, I'm not familiar with the legal hocus-pocus involved here) in some sort of technical or even professional field. Of course, after completing the courses Asgardians are expected to "give back" by working towads the betterment of Asgardia and improvement of it's population's living standars. Any discussion about budget will of course have to be postponed until the satellite is up.

A short list of careers that would be needed in either Midgard or Asgardia:

• Aerospace Engineering
  • Law and Space Law
  • Astronomy
  • Mathematics
  • IT
  • Agricultural Engineering

• Feel free to add the ones you think are necessary, I'm just naming a few!

Again, this is unofficial, and still highly speculative, but feel free to add any thoughts on how Asgardia University should be, or how you would make it happen.

Last edited by:  Alan Bleier (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 16:47 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:07 UTC

It would be great if we could partner with other online education resources like Kahn Acadamy. It would be a really neet partnership, especially if we were to store there content on some of the Asgardian satellites.

Edit: also I love the AU abbreviation.

Last edited by:  James McNichols (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:09 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:15 UTC

Totally loving this idea! It can start as an open library for all on the web where works and documents could be submitted and stored and even after establishing the campus, the library may live on - online and also as real library there.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:16 UTC

We will definitely need bioscience, microbiology, biomedicine, bioengineering

Otherwise, besides our statehood recognition and the establishment of our government, the formation of the AU should take precedent

Last edited by:  Shen Vega (Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:26 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 18:44 UTC

Of course, we have to define The Asgardian philosophy life!

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 19:51 UTC

Fantastic premise. I agree with most of the sentiments posted by others.

There are many databases and resources online that are only accessible to university staff/students, such as science journals and research engines, resources that should be available to everyone. It would make a lot of sense for an AU to be deeply integrated in the function of the nation, making it very easy for any and every citizen to enroll and have access to the most utile portions of the internet.

Also things like tax breaks or other incentives for taking at least one class every semester (or something to this effect) in order to ensure the citizenship of Asgardia is constantly improving itself is an interesting thought.

uu

Teacher Ekistics Scientist MA, Education BA, Cognitive Science

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 00:07 UTC

How about partner with universities on the ground to use their labs Thus creating an experment on how we can enhance current online system by adding an ability to use the labs where ever the asgardian is

If this work it will help teaching and future R&D projects of current online systems

if it works prepare for the un seen

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 01:00 UTC

I would also recommend adding a history department. The presence of such a department would be essential as we are creating a new nation. By collecting, newspaper articles and other digital resources we can provide a large number of documentation for the generations to follow.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 16:40 UTC

Having done some research into this myself, I'm taking the approach of taking baby steps. Especially, with what Asgardia is trying to do, the "skeleton" needs to be fully formed first. Its so easy to start going off into lala land with ideas on how to educate a space-bound civilization. I woudl say what we need is to first create the need for an education. We need to start a projects board, then once there is enough interested people we educate people on how to work on the projects and keep teh barrier of entry extremely low.

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 17:03 UTC

try

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 17:49 UTC

Just a quick hello to say I'm interested in this topic and will be following :)

I think partnering with some of the especially successful global learning movements (Khan Academy; TED Talks; Wikipedia; Etc.) Also, are you all familiar with Singularity University (and other Futurist focused institutions?) --could be good to contact them.

I am a personal and professional facilitator/trainer/coach who is known for emphasizing what I call "Playformation" (transformational learning through creative/playful engagement) --a process of more experiential learning that makes room for creativity, playful/experimental exploration, group processes, self-directed learning and more. (In contrast to pure head-knowledge / l-brain learning / extrinsically motivated learning.) See LeifHansen.me, SparkInteraction.com & ImprovSpirit.com for more info.

I look forward to staying engaged as I have more time! Warmly Leif H. Hansen

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:06 UTC

It needs to be attractive, fun( for students and teachers alike) to make it in such a way that it will not look like you are going to prison, you actually go to a learning institute to expand your knowledge. And teachers should not act like they are drones with superiority complex, i really hate these type of professors, you learn squat from them.

Last edited by:  Radu Maican (Asgardian)  on Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:08 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:18 UTC

We have a proposal being researched for an online learning Academy. Everyone is moving in the same direction!:)

Dec 22, 16 / Cap 21, 00 18:18 UTC

We have a proposal being researched for an online learning Academy. Everyone is moving in the same direction!:)

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 07:44 UTC

I have Msc mechanic of agricultural machinery and ready for any help to teaching.