Feb 9, 17 / Pis 12, 01 09:01 UTC

Re: Mechatronics Engineering  

Hello, I am not a mechatronics engineer. (Although I work well with mechanics and electrical wiring)

I wanted to encourage a brainstorming session here I'm this topic instead of creating a new one.

My initial thoughts are based around robots with the capacity to work in the environment of space. More specifically to manipulate space junk; as it has been suggested by a few others on the forums. What would happen next is not quite the main subject I want to discuss.

My concern (exempting funding) is how would our robots traverse space without a limited source of fuel. To be more specific, ways for our robots to change velocity/course as necessary.

I understand there is more than just that to be concerned about.

My other thought is the best way to develop the technology. I feel an aquatic robot would have to be developed first, and tested; redeveloped, and tested again, until specific goals are reached.

I am not an expert, so please weigh in.

Feb 9, 17 / Pis 12, 01 14:18 UTC

I'm not a mechatronics engineer or an expert on space, but in response to Alsaka's brainstorm idea. Could a grappling hook/ anchor idea work? the robot would spin the "hook" around itself using a motor and perhaps a counter-balance to throw the "Hook" in the direction that it needs to travel and the action would drag the robot with it? I am not going to pretend to be an expert but that is my initial idea on how to do it without using a propellant/fuel.

Feb 9, 17 / Pis 12, 01 23:06 UTC

Centrafugally launching a "hook" then winching itself about could possibly work for smaller distances - ie: the length of the "rope".

Unless you're talking about the "snap" as the rope hits the end to provide momentum change... I'd imagine it to be quite imprecise but the effect could potentially add up over multiple successive runs. For a proof of concept build a small model and float it in your bathtub or a local pond - if you can get viable thrust it's likely to work.

Centrafugally launching things should work - as in the entire "vessel" - but that's a one-way affair.

Muchly contested, but the likes the EM-Drive/Q-thruster appear to have suitable properties, but is muchly inefficient in current forms. Supposedly the ones strapped to Tiangong2 are producing thrust, and there's rumours of some on board the X-37B.

Aquatic technology will give much suitable experience, but commonly presents different challenges - some are similar enough to be of use, certainly.