Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 05:51 UTC

The Future of Music  

Hello fellow Ásgardians!

I am curious as to what music you are all interested in as of late, and in what direction you see music going in the future, both on the earth and in Ásgardia.

I am infinitely passionate about music, and I love to hear what other people think, and are interested in, in that regard.

Let's talk!

Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 18:24 UTC

Music preferences are different. I prefer heavy metal, but also like to bury myself in classical music (Paganini, Vivaldi, Bach). Trailer (epic) music is also cool. It's hard to predict the future of music because people are different. Some time ago rock was on top, later it was disco, now it's pop. It's just too dependant of preference - and preferences do change.

Jan 31, 17 / Pis 03, 01 01:34 UTC

I find it fascinating that a lot of people that are into metal are also very into classical music. They must have similar riffs. I see a lot of music styles still very prevalent in modern creations, but there is a common theme of mixing electronica with whatever style is desired. A combination of both classical and electric instruments with digitally created sounds and beats seem to be the major trend (Rocktronica, Jazztronica, Bluestronica, Alt Pop...Etc)

Feb 4, 17 / Pis 07, 01 23:21 UTC

Hello! I love Irish music, metal, rock, opera, rock opera.

Feb 5, 17 / Pis 08, 01 06:06 UTC

I am mainly into New country music, but i can listen to anything

Feb 5, 17 / Pis 08, 01 15:17 UTC

I believe the future of music depends very much on whether AI develops music appreciation or not. In my opinion this is a huge hurdle for developers. Today you can plug a formula into a machine and generate a new symphony each second. What you can't do is automate musicianship. I think that art appreciation is a vital intermediary step in the development of artificial intelligence. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that art is more fundamental to conveying meaning than spoken language. Star Trek didn't take it far enough: there may well come a day when you can tell your computer to dim the lights and improvise a tune that suits your current mood.

Feb 16, 17 / Pis 19, 01 21:19 UTC

Assuming that my previous statements have some merit, what appears to be missing is an emotional robot. If it were possible to create an emotional machine, would it also be sentient? Can a machine have a soul, and what is that? I find human reaction to musical stimuli very interesting. One thing I note is that environment has a huge impact on the listener. Not many people would tolerate horror movie sound tracks without also watching the films: then the music becomes exciting. How is this possible? Why is taste so susceptible to environment? I only have questions, but I would like to know if it is theoretically possible to make a machine think or have inspiration. If we are to model artificial intelligence human beings, it would have to have faults, imperfections and aspirations (HAL loves listening to heavy metal) etc... What do you think?

Last edited by:  Nicholas Wilkinson (Asgardian)  on Feb 16, 17 / Pis 19, 01 22:10 UTC, Total number of edits: 8 times

Apr 6, 17 / Tau 12, 01 01:14 UTC

I guess that the more important to think, is about how the music will be used. Style or genre we all have known that are not important. So, in my opinion, we have to observe the message and the intention of the music, and how it can be useful. To use in therapy or to assist us in some activity. Is it, peace

Jun 16, 17 / Can 27, 01 01:47 UTC

Guess the question is less about what music will become and more about how we will appreciate it in the future, with the advancements of modern technologies and even the way we gather to listen to it.

As for my interests... I listen to so many different kinds of music, from old Egyptian vibes to Psytrance and Chopin, fromJapanese Enka to German Folk Metal! It's hard to focus on one thing when there are such a wild variation of sounds to be appreciate! I am a hobbyist musician myself too.

Nov 25, 17 / Sag 21, 01 12:46 UTC

Hey There!  I can't see your name at the moment (for admin - when hitting reply would be nice to see the name of who I'm replying to).  I'm new here so, sorry if i repeat things people say.  My personal favorite music is Progressive Rock.  A genre who most know about from it's origins in the seventies with bands like Yes, King Crimson, Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), Pink Floyd, The Who, Jethro Tull, Rush etc.  In my opinion most of the best bands of the era.  It's progressive rock if it's a concept album, rock opera, a band that uses unusual instruments, and bands that do longer more complex compositions than the 3-4 minute hit songs you here on the radio.  There are so many bands from the last twenty years (and I predict at least ten more) who were influenced by these bands and it shows in their music.  Their music is modern, but unlike the modern music I hear on the radio, these guys are excellent musicians and pick up where those bands left off in the seventies and are creating masterpieces that stand up with Yes Close to the Edge, Pink Floyd's the Wall, Jethro Tull thick as a brick, etc.  If you are interested in listening, shoot me a ....what do we shoot from here?  E-mails?  This is my first day here :D  Let me know your favorite bands from the seventies and I can let you know which bands I think you'd like and shoot you a few samples.   I'd love to get more people interested in this music as I feel it was a more natural direction for music to take, it is the direction most of the great rock musicians of this millennium have taken in my opinion.  There is even another sub-genre that takes the seventies progressive music and combines it with metal from the eighties.  This is sometimes referred to as Progressive Metal and often sounds like Metallica and Yes had a baby who writes 7,12, even 20 minute long songs but the guitar sounds more like Metallica than Yes.  A few of the best new Progressive rock artists are, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Riverside, Transatlantic, Frost, IQ (I would start with dark matter) - their last four albums are brilliant.  Aereon (Only does Rock Opera's and has a different vocalist for every character in his story with voices from Rock and Opera mixing with Heavy Guitar riffs).  Progressive Metal has bands like (Dream Theater (the one band that has some popularity - their last few albums have debuted in the top 20 highest selling albums but they can't get radio play because they are progressive).  Other bands in Progressive Metal are Symphony X, Fates Warning, Mastadon, Opeth.  I prefer Progressive to Prog Metal but to each his own.  So, Anyway, I would love for Asgardia to embrace the path music should have taken, and reward the bands showing respect to Rock's History from the Beatles to Styx.

Jan 10, 18 / Aqu 10, 02 06:38 UTC

A mean polka wiuld be nice

Apr 12, 18 / Tau 18, 02 07:39 UTC

Metal forever \m/

Jun 29, 18 / Leo 12, 02 07:48 UTC

The genre of music is less important than the tuning of the instruments used for making that music. For more information please read this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intervals-Scales-Tones-Concert-Pitch/dp/1902636465

Aug 3, 18 / Vir 19, 02 20:56 UTC

I'm new here today, and a keen musician.

I love music by Bach, Mozart, and many of the Romantic masters... but also love Jazz, Rock, Metal...

This is one of the first forum threads I've clicked on, and I'm delighted to find so many like-minded people!

You're all awesome!

Aug 3, 18 / Vir 19, 02 23:03 UTC

Also... just saying....I've previously run a record label; so, any budding musicians that fancy releasing music to Earth under an Asgardian label... perhaps we could look at that :)