Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 20:14 UTC

Renouncing Citizenship  

Greetings

There doesn't seem to be any easy way to renounce citizenship.

People may want to leave Asgardia in the future for personal reasons and there is no clear method of achieving this.

Personally I am weary that the All Seing Eye, also known as the Eye of Horus, features predominantly on the Asgardian Satellite Design and can not shake the negative vibrations that this symbol conjures up. I don't know if anybody else has read the negative press Asgardia is getting from conspiracy theorists in this regard.

A clear method to renounce citizenship needs to be implemented ASAP.

Jan 19, 17 / Aqu 19, 01 23:57 UTC

Hi Kalidor,

Please see the FAQ's on the Asgardia.Space website http://asgardia.space/faq. Specifically the second point under Online Registration and Citizenship.

We would also like to assure you Asgardia is in no way affiliated with the Illuminati, the Masons, the Church of Scientology, or any other entity.

If you would like to withdraw your application for citizenship, please email citizens@asgardia.space. Please include the email address you initially registered with, in the body of the request. Please be patient if you do decide to withdraw as it may take a few days for your request to be actioned.

We certainly hope you decide to continue on this exciting journey with us!

Apr 21, 17 / Tau 27, 01 08:18 UTC

I would like to renounce my citizenship of the United States and just be a citizen of Asgardia.

Apr 21, 17 / Tau 27, 01 09:09 UTC

👆 Good luck with that.

Apr 21, 17 / Tau 27, 01 17:08 UTC

As Asgardia doesn't exist yet as a nation, you can't really do that yet.

Quoting from Wikipedia:

United States law requires that an individual appear in person before a consular officer at a U.S. embassy or consulate outside the United States and sign an oath or affirmation that the individual intends to renounce U.S. citizenship. Exceptions to this rule are permitted in times of war and under special circumstances.[23][24] During the expatriation procedure, the individual must complete several documents and demonstrate in an interview with a consular officer that the renunciation is voluntary and intentional. Depending on the embassy or consulate, the individual is often required to appear in person two times and conduct two separate interviews with consular officers over the course of several months.

Apr 22, 17 / Gem 00, 01 00:39 UTC

i am well aware of the logistics behind actually doing it. i was just trying to say it would be nice to have that option.  

Apr 23, 17 / Gem 01, 01 04:46 UTC

I can definitely see this is going to be crazy for citizenships. I've already seen one person that was having problems possibly losing their own countries citizenship. I know while Asgardia will allow dual-citizenship, other countries laws will play major parts as we build this space nation!

One humanity, one unity! Leo

May 8, 17 / Gem 16, 01 18:13 UTC

In order to check the status of your request, please send an email to the same email adress that you send the request to. These requests take a bit of time as they are processed by a person and not by a bot. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Jun 30, 17 / Leo 13, 01 00:45 UTC

rinunciando alla cittadinanza e cancellando l'iscrizione, si incorre a sanzioni? Grazie

Apr 30, 18 / Gem 08, 02 04:47 UTC

IF anyone is a US citizen and want to renounce their US citizenship to only have Asgardian citizenship... keep in mind the consequences of the current situation. When being a none US citizen you cannot "permanently" live in the US without permission. It is not revocable if you do it. You have no physical representation protection  if needed for legal matters... and so much more. Research before deciding. It wouldn't be an issue if Asgardia has actual soil or place for us to go other then where we are currently. Of course future will be different... but for now... Please take caution.

LINK: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/us-citizenship/Renunciation-US-Nationality-Abroad.html

Last edited by:  Mariya Kudryavtseva (Asgardian, Member of the Parliament)  on Dec 13, 18 / Cap 11, 02 05:13 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 11, 18 / Cap 09, 02 17:15 UTC

I'm not agree with citizien fee I want to delete my account.

Dec 12, 18 / Cap 10, 02 09:14 UTC

Hi saul.castellano,

would it be possible for us to address your concerns before withdrawing your membership. I'm sure there is something we can do to ensure your satisfaction. If you could please contact us at support@asgardia.space to see how we can help you. Let us know if you have any questions.

May 2, 19 / Gem 10, 03 16:14 UTC

I was a US Citizen for the first 51, or so years of my life, having been born and raised there. On June 21, 2013 I renounced my US Citizenship, and became stateless (without citizenship of any country).

My experience was very good. The US Embassy staff was professional, and in the case of the US Consul, friendly.

Many people who have never gone through the process often describe it as “difficult”, “complicated”, or in this question, “tricky”. It is nothing of the sort. I think as bureaucratic processes so, it is one of the most straightforward and simple!

The only information provided to the State Department is your name, address, how you came to be a US citizen and a bit of other basic info. They do not ask why you are renouncing (though you can give a verbal or written statement), they do not dig into your tax history, or your criminal history, they do not harass you over your desire to renounce.

They do read you a one page document that explains the consequences of it, and then give you a week or more to think about it.

The fee (currently $2,450) is a bit steep (at least until you look at what you are getting for it). The Embassy I renounced at accepted Visa/Mastercard.

Now, although the US State Department doesn’t dig into your tax history (nor is it relevant when renouncing), your tax situation (having tax debts, unfiled returns, significant wealth, etc) on the day you renounce may significantly affect your dealings with the IRS AFTER YOU’VE RENOUNCED!

I think the words, “complicated”, “difficult”, and “tricky” are appropriately applied to any dealings with the US Tax system. That may be especially so after you renounce when you finish up your involvement with it.

However, you’re trading that one time hassle with not having a lifetime of hassles.

EDIT:

To respons to a comment, I currently live in Paraguay, and I live in Paraguay as a legal resident, just the same as all the legal residents in Paraguay who have one citizenship or another.

Last edited by:  Mariya Kudryavtseva (Asgardian, Member of the Parliament)  on May 3, 19 / Gem 11, 03 05:32 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: [external Link Removed]