Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 11:36 UTC

Commonwealth  

Hello fellow Asgardians, I just wished to float this idea. As well as seeking to become a member of the United Nations, Asgardia should also seek to become a member of the Commonwealth. My reasons for making this suggestion is that the Commonwealth is a grouping of friendly countries that supports cultural projects and exchanges between its members and their citizens; member countries covers at least a third of the world's population including newly emerging space nations such as India. Asgardia could assist commonwealth citizens in developing countries to become interested in space projects for the future so I think that the potential benefits could be two way both for the Commonwealth and Asgardia as our space nation develops. What are your own thoughts on this proposal?

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 11:46 UTC

Comment deleted

Updated  on Jun 15, 17 / Can 26, 01 16:52 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: "This user no longer wishes to be associated with a tin pot banana republic"

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 18:41 UTC

But, like England, they also require the monarch to ratify into law. Otherwise it's just policy.

As there's no possible way to be part of that commonwealth without erroding rights to our citizens I don't think this idea contains much merit.

Jan 1, 17 / Aqu 01, 01 14:56 UTC

Well, the only commonwealth I was aware of was the one breaking off from England. I hadn't actually tried to find any others. Still don't think "commonwealth" is a good idea.

For the likes of supporting cultural projects and free exchanges between nations, that can happen regardless and is somewhat implicit in the mandate.

Jan 4, 17 / Aqu 04, 01 11:38 UTC

While it might sound a nice idea, the others above are correct that the main bond for the commonwealth is that they were former dominions and territories of the British Empire and the Queen is currently head of the commonwealth but that is merely a symbolic role. It should also be noted that a few nations have joined with nothing to do with the empire and that the Queen is head of only 16 of the 52 members. It should be highlighted that the main goals include promoting democracy, human rights and social + economic development which actually sounds quite good and to be fair that is in line with some of Asgardia's goals. So the option is there if we wanted to join but to be honest the UN is probably all we'd need.

Jan 27, 17 / Aqu 27, 01 19:22 UTC

Monachy has nothing to do with the formation of a commonwealth.

I believe this is a discussion of the British Commonwealth of Nations, which would indeed require Asgardians to be formally subjects of the British Monarchy.

Such membership would be contrary to the goal of universalism. We would essentially be joining a regional block.

Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 11:50 UTC

No sammwich joining the commonwealth is not about becoming a subject of the British crown. The commonwealth is a development that came from its roots in the British Empire and HM Queen Elizabeth II is the figurative head of the commonwealth. However, countries such a Mozambique which is a former Portuguese colony have since joined the commonwealth as they see the advantage for cultural exchange, international support for democracy and human rights, etc promoted by the commonwealth as being useful to them. Essentially now the Commonwealth is an international organisation that helps promotes these values to at least a third of the people on Earth; I see this as one of the means of building friendships internationally for Asgardia as our 'space nation' tries to establish itself. In addition, people in developing countries have limited access to space and space technology and Asgadia could help promote these development to citizens of commonwealth countries using this organisation as a means of doing this. However, this is just an idea that I hope other Asgadians may see some merit it.

Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 12:08 UTC

Aside from running contrary to the intent of Asgardia, I am not a fan of the Commonwealth idea. Speaking from personal experience, having your head of state live 15,000km away (and not really give a crap about the day-to-day in your country) seems somewhat pointless.

Updated  on Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 23:41 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 30, 17 / Pis 02, 01 16:38 UTC

You can promote "building friendships" without attempting to join into some sort of "members only" club however.

It just creates another border.

Feb 3, 17 / Pis 06, 01 12:02 UTC

I think that some of the divisive (and frankly dangerous) developments that are being pursued at the moment on Planet Earth both by the current US government and, in my own country (UK), in becoming more isolated in the world just illustrates the need for Asgardia to join in and participate in cooperation with international organisation such as the UN and the Commonwealth (and for the European Chapter the EU). All countries need to have alliances and international friendships for the benefit of their citizens - the consequences of not doing so will only be too plain to see in the coming years.

Feb 4, 17 / Pis 07, 01 16:18 UTC

How do you define failure to join various member only clubs that actually generate seperation as "isolation"? Such a mentality is kind of how we got into this situation to begin with. And the consequences are visible now.