Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 19:20 UTC

Space junk opportunity  

Dear Asgardians, I was thinking about Japan project to pull off space junk from earth orbit. I think this is a waste. Can we initiate a project to evaluate possibility of gathering junk? After all, we need raw materials to build our space station, right? Why not recycle? What do you think? Kind re[as]gards, Cristi

Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 22:01 UTC

That is not a bad idea but it is not easy to collect that space junk.

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 00:32 UTC

I was listening to a talk about Lasers in Space, 2 days ago from: Peter Bushkamp. One of the ideas to use lasers was to push our orbital debris into the atmosphere via propulsion (so photons get shoot at an opject to push it), if the object gets pushed more near into the earth gravity or slowed; it burns completely (if the object is small enough) while falling down into the atmosphere. He called it a "Laser Broom".

If you are interested in the part with the debris here the link: https://youtu.be/RQzq6c9Lxo8?t=11m56s
I recommend you also the rest of the talk, pretty interesting if you want to know more about lasers. :)

So we wouldn't actually collect the debris, but we could make contracts with earth nations that we clean up "their" and our debris. I think somewhere in the basic ideas for Asgardia this concept already came up. (?)
Can't remeber where though.

According to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris

As of July 2013, more than 170 million debris smaller than 1 cm (0.4 in), about 670,000 debris 1–10 cm, and around 29,000 larger debris were estimated to be in orbit.[1] As of 5 July 2016, the United States Strategic Command tracked a total of 17,729 artificial objects,[2] including 1,419 operational satellites.

In the end if debris collection is gonna be done by us, all debris should be collected by us as every size of debris has a huge impact (see video above). But at start I think it would be good to start with the 1-10cm objects as you actually can find them more easier? Not sure about this, how you "see" these objects and how sure you can be about the position of these objects.

Last edited by:  Florian Hemmann (Asgardian)  on Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 00:33 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 20:14 UTC

There is a problem with your idea, the fish cannot swim with 30 000 Km/h or more.

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 23:05 UTC

Boa noite irmãos! Penso que uma possível solução para esta ocasião, seria uma rede, ou várias redes electro-magnetizadas, como pescar vários peixes no mar, imaginem que cada peixe é um detrito espacial, uma espécie de rede espacial de pesca poderia resolver o problema, pois parece ser uma solução muito económica, e pode ir acoplada no satélite, que por sua vez quando carregado com os detritos, depositava-os num cargueiro, e quando o cargueiro(Estação espacial), que poderia ser a base para construção de naves no próprio espaço.

Good night, brothers! I think that a possible solution to this situation would be a network, or several electro-magnetized networks, such as catching several fish in the sea, imagine that each fish is a space detritus, a kind of space fishing net could solve the problem, A very economical solution, and can be coupled to the satellite, which in turn when loaded with debris, deposited them in a freighter, and when the freighter (Space Station), which could be the basis for building ships in the space itself.

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 23:46 UTC

Boa noite e Feliz Ano Santiago San!

Como você abrandar os pedaços de detritos espaciais? Eles se movem com alta velocidade. Mais que 30 000 Km/h.

Good evening and Happy New Year Santiago San!

How do you slow down the pieces of the space derbis? They move with high speed. More than 30 000 Km/h.

Jan 2, 17 / Aqu 02, 01 20:24 UTC

Yes, collecting space junk is a better, more productive thing than simply wasting it - but there's not enough there(IMHO) to build what we would require for our population as it is now, let alone to consider expansion. There is, however, almost all we need to build the facilities to throw a seed factory out to the asteroid belt betwixt Jupiter and Mars and that does have all the resources we could require.

You slow them down in the net - which in reality would be more like a wind sock.

You don't just try to catch something moving 1400m/s+ you acellerate to that just over that speed, position yourself in front on the same orbital trajectory then drop your velocity ever so slightly allowing it to catch up, positioning it in the cone of the sock as you do so. The fact you'd need to ask that suggests you've not lent this much thought at all. When it's definitely in there, via some sort of drawstring mechanism, close the mouth end of the sock to keep it there. Then you use the "tugs" on the open mouth end of the sock to sufficiently adjust it's delta to have it moving where you'd want to take it, and arrest it's velocity to relative 0 when you get there.