Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 23:06 UTC
API for asgardians - Allow the community to build tools for Asgardians ¶
I wonder if it is planned to publish an API to get access to Asgardians data.
I can tell such thing would be quite useful in order for Asguardian developers to make dedicated softwares and tools based on such API, for Asgardians.
With a public yet secured API, the community could build many things like:
- Statistics based on gender, user rank (admin, mod, translator, ...), country, spoken languages, jobs, etc.
- Allow access to specific tools to registered Asgardians only.
- Location of Asguardian close to us, physically. Allowing the creation of local groups with people who share the same passion about Asgardia.
- A system to vote up/down the next community's projects to be built.
- So many other things.
Of course, with an API comes several questions like:
- What about security? Who would be allowed to fetch those data? (Registered Asgardians only IMO)
- What data would be public to any Asgardia and what would be private? Therefore requiring manual user validation for an app to have access to such information (like the location or real name)
- Should the data be read-only? (I believe so for starter)
The question is not much about "Should an API be created"? I believe it must be created. I also strongly believe it must be though trough and properly secured.
What are your thoughts on this?