Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 23:06 UTC

API for asgardians - Allow the community to build tools for Asgardians  

I wonder if it is planned to publish an API to get access to Asgardians data.

I can tell such thing would be quite useful in order for Asguardian developers to make dedicated softwares and tools based on such API, for Asgardians.

With a public yet secured API, the community could build many things like:

1. Statistics based on gender, user rank (admin, mod, translator, ...), country, spoken languages, jobs, etc.
  2. Allow access to specific tools to registered Asgardians only.
  3. Location of Asguardian close to us, physically. Allowing the creation of local groups with people who share the same passion about Asgardia.
  4. A system to vote up/down the next community's projects to be built.
  5. So many other things.

Of course, with an API comes several questions like:

1. What about security? Who would be allowed to fetch those data? (Registered Asgardians only IMO)
  2. What data would be public to any Asgardia and what would be private? Therefore requiring manual user validation for an app to have access to such information (like the location or real name)
  3. Should the data be read-only? (I believe so for starter)

The question is not much about "Should an API be created"? I believe it must be created. I also strongly believe it must be though trough and properly secured.

What are your thoughts on this?

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 23:10 UTC

Vadorequest gretings fellow asgardian, well i really liked the idea (and i think that its possible , since there a lot of good programers here in the forum). well lets wait to see if some of our programers can do something about it and if the Adm can use your ideas in the forum

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 23:16 UTC

Thanks @BohZao.

Well, such API must be built by the official staff developers first, then we (as non-staff Asgardians) will be able to use it and build tooling for other Asguardians.

But until such API is done, nothing can be done on our side, we simply don't have access to the DB (and shouldn't) where all Asguardians data are stored.

So, this topic is about discussing this and see what should be do about it, which data are considered private, which ones public and so on. Or maybe they're already buidling one and we don't know about it yet.

Dec 30, 16 / Cap 29, 00 08:33 UTC

Thank you for sharing. Your suggestions have been documented. If you have any questions or need assistance let us know.