Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 20:31 UTC

Forum Progress  

I just want to discuss something. So Asgardia Civic, here we go:

What was the reason to implement a (scanable and insecure) Captcha?
What was the reason to limit the Captcha Frame Time to a value below 5 minutes?
What was the reason to not use the 100 times more secure ReCAPTCHA?
Why do we need a Captcha behind a login protected website?
Why don't we use honeypots?
Why should a Captcha protect an edit action?
Why isn't it enough to captcharize the sub-forums joins instead of literally every content publishing related action?
Where is the ident-stealth vulnerable bugfix that strips off all cascading and abnormal characters (and emojis) from usernames?
Where is the connection of the avatar settings of the application and the avatar settings of the forums?
Why has the UX of the board been lowered instead of increased?
Why did the IT-Staff implement some requested design fixes in the worst way?
Why did the IT-Staff not implement all other requested things not after month of time?
Why do we suffer from the Dead-End Route-Failure after posting to large topics or browsing large topics (again)?

Answers are welcome.

Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 20:40 UTC

1. Bots invaded us. Casualties were heavy. Lives were affected. Captcha is supposed to protect us, but has largely failed.
  2. Got me, but it isn't inconvenient if you actually preview posts before hitting submit.
  3. (Opinion) Probably because no one has written code for it that works on this forum software.
  4. Because anyone can create an account in seconds, leading to easy spambotting.
  5. That is a GREAT question, I have brought that up to Jason before. Not sure who is in charge of that.
  6. It is part of the code that affects every post, (Opinion) I don't think it's programmed terribly intelligently, more a brute-force attempt.
  7. See Item 6.
  8. Uhm... I have no idea what you are talking about.
  9. Wait, we have avatar settings?
  10. See Item 8.
  11. (Opinion) Because they were easy?
  12. Because they are busy and largely volunteers?
  13. (Opinion) It seems that if the number of posts is close to the end of the number divisible, it gives that 'page not found'. If you go back one step, it works ok. Badly coded, I know, but not a dealbreaker.
  Updated  on Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 20:46 UTC, Total number of edits: 3 times
Reason: Missed two questions, just figured out what you meant by 13.

Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 21:00 UTC

1 - Wouldn't it be more clever to captcharize the registration?
3 - It takes up to a half of an hour to implement ReCAPTCHA in a properly maintained code base. Getting Coffee included.
4 - Logins do shield us enough, hidden secrets do the same job. Signed requests do turn the request to protect into fort knox.
5 - The AIRC IT-Division.
6 - So, it's badly coded.
8 - It's possible to mask a user name to appear as empty. It's possible to embed emojis into the username, see my username.
9 - We do. See "My Application".
10 - Captchas that require to input something lowers the UX (User Experience) of the application. The UX is how intuitive or easily usable an UI do operate.
11 - Some applied fixes were already pre-coded by me, but implemented totally (ugly and) different.
12 - If they are Volunteers, please tell me the reason why those volunteers has not been casted from the ASGARDIA Community?
13 - Yeah, it's a broken pagination. My summary about the skills of the people who are responsible for the development of this forum isn't that overrating.

Updated  on Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 21:02 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time