What do you think?

Total number of votes: 20

65% Yes

35% No

Feb 11, 17 / Pis 14, 01 15:42 UTC

Asgardian Language!  

Hey Asgardians. I was thinking , what if we create our own language,just for our own country , this will help to get confirmed as a real country i think :)

Feb 27, 17 / Ari 02, 01 19:57 UTC

Well, i think it is a interessanting post, because if we are going to live all as one, we need to know how we will speak with other people, from other places with other languages. But, I think it is not necessary to create one language. Look to the Esperanto. It is an already created language, easy to learn and speak, with a humanist philosophie. A think it can be good we all learn it. It really works, and it is a beautiful language.

Feb 27, 17 / Ari 02, 01 20:03 UTC

As someone who just read through a ton of threads relating to Constitutional comments, I can say that the subject of a 'national language' has been brought up MANY times.

The primary suggestions are English (due to general popularity), Esperanto, and Chinese (due to number of chinese persons).

At this time, everything is in English, as it is spoken by or most easily translated into from virtually every other language.

For the future, who knows. We will find out when we all get there together, right?

Mar 3, 17 / Ari 06, 01 17:43 UTC

We could revive a dead language, such as Latin. No language building required.

Apr 2, 17 / Tau 08, 01 10:44 UTC

My suggestions for National Language:  

1. English 
  2. Chinese
  3. Spanish
  4. Esperanto
  5. German

1 = Usage

2 = Usage

3 = Usage

4 = Ease

5 = Usage (could be used as a branching language for Germanic and English speakers)

Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 11:03 UTC

US English replaces "s" with "z". Civilisation becomes civilization, dramatisation becomes dramatization. 

I'm thinking, why not do our own version of this logic? Replace "i" with "y". Dictionaries become dictyonaries, civilisation become cyvylisation. 

Easy to remember! 

Apr 20, 17 / Tau 26, 01 17:59 UTC

Guys, I've made a thread so to settle the issue once and for all. :) I've made a thread for you guys to suggest what words you think should appear in the Asgardian language:

https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/general-discussion-14/topic/asgardia-official-language-dictionary-4962/

:P

Apr 26, 17 / Gem 04, 01 23:00 UTC

Well I think this is completely unnecessary at least at this stage. We have enough of language barriers as it is. No one gonna learn a new language that ~120k(at this moment) people may use.  As it is a lot of people have problems talking more than native tongue. And it will make more trouble instead of being useful. (more time and resources consumed on translations and stuff, when it could be used elsewhere). So the simplest and most reasonable solution is: Already existing and commonly used language : English. Not only it would be easier to communicate between ourselves, but also with the rest of the world. Also two subs languages can be chosen, like, Chinese and Spanish or Russian or any other major language of Asgardian population to make less of a burden to some people.

Communication is very important, it's already complicated, so why we must make it harder.. Keep it simple.
Well that's my opinion at least.

Last edited by:  Karolis Sova (Asgardian)  on Apr 26, 17 / Gem 04, 01 23:03 UTC, Total number of edits: 2 times

Jun 20, 17 / Leo 03, 01 12:06 UTC

If we try to create a specific language, the rules and words will quickly disappear when the real language takes shape and evolves - language is a natural outgrowth of different kids of vocal queues and expressions melding and becoming something greater, usually with no expressed rules, at least not at first. :) Once we come together and interact, a language will begin developing all on it's own. :)

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 10:42 UTC

I think KarolisSo is right here. Having another new language will only add another order of difficulty. 

Plus if any of you watch Doctor Who there is an episode in the newer version, I believe the first episode, where a small community gathers to watch the natural destruction of earth. Life forms from all over the universe are there and communicating using a type of earpiece or an implant that translates any language into your native and instantly in your brain. This will probably be the case. I'd imagine the tech would stimulate the brain in the same way speech does. The tech would probably have to temporarily disable your hearing so there isn't a clash of sounds both competing to be analyzed for conversation.  Hopefully though it would be a specific disable and only cut out vocals and not environmental noise.   

Jun 21, 17 / Leo 04, 01 18:01 UTC

There is a current discussion about the Languages of Asgardia. This topic will be closed, in order to participate in the conversation already in progress. If you have any questions let us know.