Dec 20, 16 / Cap 19, 00 22:57 UTC

Hello from Olympia, WA, USA!  

Thanks again to all the admins that have been doing a great job on everything as we move forward! I'll start by saying I'm very excited to be starting this journey with many other Asgardians! I look forward each day to see where our new nation will be leading us. I'm an avid science & tech nerd that has never wanted to sit in the background with technology. Going forward, and upward, is where I've always felt we need to go. From exploring the depths of the oceans, to the oceans of the stars.

To introduce myself a little bit better, though. I'm currently a Network Admin/Help Desk technician for a company that provides jobs/job support for mentally and physically disabled individuals. I help to maintain, setup, and update our network systems and individual workstations. I love coming in each day to see what new project we'll be working on. Currently, we are running over 35 different Windows 2008/2012 r2 servers, (with only 7 being actual physical). We just went live with Skype for Business in our network, and I had the joy of working and training the majority of our users, (that was fun...).

I have been in the IT industry now for about 5 years, but have been around computers for over 30. Before I got my degree as a network admin, I spent 10 years as a residential/commercial plumber. Weird transition, I know..but not if you think about troubleshooting. Both fields have problems that base around a puzzle. Solve the puzzle, and you solve the problem. That's why I love them both so much. I still do plumbing side-jobs when they come up.

I also spent the first 4 years our of high school in the U.S. Marine Corps, as a Communications Center Operator/Supervisor. I loved the military structure and discipline, and the closeness of our teams. I love to work in those environments and can't wait to be able to help our nations group go forward.

I'm always a little bit unsure on where I can help, as I can do so many different things. While I don't have degrees in science or engineering, it doesn't mean I can't do the job. I follow SpaceX regularly and always look forward to their next launch waiting to see their 1st-stage systems land on the barge, or terra-firma. I love explaining the fascination of their abilities, but also why it can improve our way of life and exploration. It's amazing when you break down the physics of launching, then landing on something that's 400 miles out to see.

Connect with me if you want to talk, or point me in a direction if there's someone that needs some help. I'm so excited we're not stopping!!

Leo Marquie

Last edited by:  Jason Rainbow (Global Admin, Global Mod, Asgardian)  on Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 06:33 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Removed members personal details

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 06:37 UTC

Welcome! I'm IT as well, currently employed as a penetration tester/cyber security analyst. Hopefully Asgardia will be all you want it to be.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 08:23 UTC

Jason, thank you for that advice. Excitement got the better of me for a little bit. Loving the forum pages already. They look great, and getting a feeling for being more only to us, (the Asgardians).

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 15:40 UTC

@Leomarquie Hi neighbor! I'm over in MT. It's exciting to see another Asgardian so close. Are you guys frozen under feet of snow too?

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:42 UTC

@Frankie, no 2 feet of snow. We had a couple inches about a week ago. I'm on the west side of the Cascades, so we get a little more rain vs. snow. It's been cold, though. This morning was 28', and the roads were icy. Welcome to the first day of winter! It's great to be hearing from other Asgardians that are so close. On the 'US - West' region group we've talked a little about maybe setting up meetings in an area for those of us to get together and talk. Check it out when you have time.

Dec 21, 16 / Cap 20, 00 17:45 UTC

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check it out. Saturday we were at -22 (before wind chill!) and now it's 35 here. its amazing what 50 degrees will do, basically t-shirt weather now hahaha.