Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 12:43 UTC

Address from the Founding Father - January 12, 2017  

Greetings Asgardians!

Today brings the first video address of Dr. Ashurbeyli, the founding father of Asgardia. He talks a little about the background of Asgardia and it's inspirations, the current status of building it and the upcoming goals of 2017, as well as an exciting announcement of the start of the Asgardian calendar and a proposed motto!

https://asgardia.space

Please leave your feedback either here or on the official Asgardia Facebook page. We want to hear your voices!

One humanity, one unity!

Kind regards, Rebekah Berg, Lead Community Administrator, Asgardia

Last edited by:  Rebekah Berg (Asgardian, Lead Admin)  on Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 12:44 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 12:54 UTC

Yea

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 12:58 UTC

It turns out 150,000 people, only 48% speaks English

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 13:04 UTC

well i liked of the founding father showing(not sure how to write) to us the local where he make decisions and the symbolism behind the place, i only does'nt understand the calendar, theres some place where i can see the calendar?

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 13:10 UTC

Hi Dirk!

That's already in the works and being translated into every language we have translators available for. :)

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 13:18 UTC

Despite English being the lead language, it would be interesting for everyone to be able to learn other languages from one another.

I myself only know English, which is a shame as I feel I'm missing out on the ability to talk to other people that don't come from the same culture and background as myself.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 13:35 UTC

Hi Zulisian!

We have a discussion about that started in the Education forums. It's an idea about language lessons being posted through the forums so that people can learn other languages as they wish to learn.

https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/education-78/topic/learn-or-teach-another-language-via-the-forums-1839/?post=9197#9197

Please feel free to add your vote and join in the discussion.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 13:39 UTC

Hi Dirk!

It's already on there. :)

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 13:47 UTC

Feel the founding father announce the 1st day of the Asgardian calendar is really something unique, its goals are very important, we hope there are no hitches and that the whole process goes smoothly, said this ... good 1st day Asgardia :)

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 14:23 UTC

Nice, I like more this new video format for the addresses, it's much more direct and it's good to see the founding father talking.
Pleased to hear that more than 100k people have confirmed their support for Asgardia, and also the choice of the calendar is exactly in line with what I suggested in the UAT topic, nice to see that Igor and I have similar opinions on it :).

Keep up the good work!

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 14:33 UTC

I love the new motto, it's definitely in line with Asgardia's vision. I do have a few questions, though. I accept that there may not be answers at this time, but if anyone knows (for certain, not just "Well I'd think it'd work like this...") I'd like to hear it.

1) October 12, 2016 will be the first day of the Asgardian calendar. Will this be considered "New Year's Day"? Also, will we have a brand new calendar completely different from the Gregorian calendar used in most of the world? I feel like that was what Dr Ashurbeyli was saying, but I'm not 100% sure.

2) Dr Ashurbeyli mentioned about voting on the declaration of unity and constitution. I assume, therefore, that these will be available for discussion and/or voting in the next month or so (as these addresses seem to be a monthly occurrence). Am I correct in my assumptions?

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 14:52 UTC

I vote for a Stardate calendar system. Like the one used in Star Trek.

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 15:51 UTC

In his first address, (or at least its English translation) Dr. Ashurbeyli declared Dec 12, 2016 as "the first day of the Asgardian calendar". Does this just mean that that is the official day of our founding, or does it imply that we plan to have a non-Gregorian calendar?

I want to point out that we are going to begin on and around Earth. Until we have established ourselves on other planets, planetoids, or asteroids, we will have to conduct trade with Earth. (Even if we are energy-self-sufficient with a "closed" ecosystem, we will still lose some matter.)

Continued use of the Gregorian calendar will simplify interactions with the majority of Humanity, including the UN. The Gregorian calendar is marginally useful for some Earth-related astronomical events.

I propose that adoption of a non-Gregorian calendar be delayed until our administration is somewhere other than Earth or Earth-orbit. That while the primary administrative centers remain somehow Earthbound, we continue using the Gregorian calendar.

(Nothing in this proposal should be construed as prohibiting non-Earthbound Asgardians from adopting a local calendar and conducting local governance according to the local calendar. Thus a Mars or Mars-orbit colony should be free to use an appropriate Martian calendar. etc.)

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 16:15 UTC

It was great to hear from Dr Ashurbeyli. It helps to continue to energize our nation and show the support of our leader as we move forward. I'm so glad to be a part of this. I can't wait to celebrate our 1st year anniversary. I've added onto my tasks list to go searching for alternative calendar apps to keep in tune. I know it'll throw a few people off, but for those who have served in the military, or government, we've understood Julian calendars, and fiscal calendars. Other countries also celebrate different dates as being their New Year's. It'll just take some time to get used to it. I can definitely get behind and support our new motto. It seems very fitting, and I only wish more of the world could take that to heart.

One humanity, one unity!

Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 22:22 UTC

I propose we adopt the HE (Human Era) calendar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czgOWmtGVGs This calendar is explained in the video above, and is much more representative of actual human progress than the calendar most of Earth uses. It would be quite simply to integrate dates with Earth dates as well, since you simply add 10,000 years. I think declaring December 12th 2016 as the dawn of a new era a bit presumptuous. Asgardia is great, and the date should be celebrated, but basing a calendar off of it is entirely unnecessary. If we need a calendar that is not linked to any particular country or religion on Earth, this is probably best and simplest.

Last edited by:  Noah Rosenblum (Asgardian)  on Jan 12, 17 / Aqu 12, 01 22:24 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time