Dec 23, 16 / Cap 22, 00 19:50 UTC

Construction of Asgardia  

Currently humanity constructs space components on earth, then blasts off into space. That would be the first phase of the construction of Asgardia. I'm no engineer, but wouldn't we need to build a space station before the construction of Asgardia?

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 07:28 UTC

It makes sense to do all major construction in space. I would say yes, a small station would have to be constructed first. In my own theory I would say the next step would to develop ways to gather resources for further construction.

Sending out small vessals to gather mineral rich asteroids would be a big first step, along with finding a way to process the asteroids in space. Them you would have to process the raw materials and so on.

It could be quite possible several small modules would have to be constructed and combined together to construct another single more sophisticated module which can create even more advanced component... I could see many small stages to lay the groundwork for larger construction projects.

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 07:50 UTC

I remember that the first part to be sent up next year will be a small satellite, I wonder about what type of satellite are we looking at here, and what type of function it could form, I agree it should be of modular design so that it could be build upon further, something like lego blocks being stuck together with new modules added with new functions over time, I think it would be a slow process to get anything that could hold a lot of people, but over time hopefully the project would snowball... I guess starting with something that can generate money might be a useful beginning, through providing some service that could be sold, maybe like science research station, or communication or something?

Dec 24, 16 / Cap 23, 00 20:05 UTC

Asteroid mining is indeed a good source of raw materials, but i have another idea. Wouldn't it be easier to build a moonbase? Humankind has already been to the moon, the reduced gravity means less fuel is wasted launching ships from there than from Earth and there are probably some resources we could mine. Not to mention in some ways it would be safer than a space station.

Dec 25, 16 / Cap 24, 00 01:23 UTC

Yes a moon base would be an ideal location for almost all fabrication of components once a facility is established.

At that point we would have colonized the Moon; which would be great, I just don't know what that would mean to the rest of Earth.

Dec 26, 16 / Cap 25, 00 09:13 UTC

I think of the reasons why not setting up Asgardia on the moon was for some legal reasons, I think isn't there some law in place saying the moon is all of the Earths and not be owned by any one nation? And so as to avoid this problem the nation was proposed to be set up in space, although maybe a large enough asteroid could be a possibility?

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 00:12 UTC

I think we must hunt metal astroids and get its iron and other metals and and so convert to metal powder to use with 3d metal printer to made larg scale components.other components can be made on eartb or moon based stations.

Last edited by:  yousef Hadi (Asgardian)  on Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 00:13 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 04:38 UTC

Due to an element of space travel called Delta-V, a lot of Near-Earth-Objects (NEO) are easier to get to in terms of fuel consumption but (in most cases) at the cost of time. As we are not as advanced as we could be, it is more economical to travel to a NEO and mine resources that than it is to collect resources from the Moon -at least initially. Once there is an abundance of the materials needed and the advancements of some tech going along with it, then a Moon base becomes economical. That doesn't even cover a small portion of the politics that will we present with the discovery of a nation building a moonbase.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 05:50 UTC

Yes you are right. There are laws preventing celestial bodies from being "owned". This is because under space Law all celestial bodies belong to all humankind, not one person, company, territory, state, nation, or country.

Dec 27, 16 / Cap 26, 00 08:03 UTC

We need to get into contact with Tesla, the technology they are developing, already working with, and tech they will be researching in future will greatly improve Asguardian construction options, power needs, and integrated systems. Fossil fuels and oils can be completely fazed out on Asguardia.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 03:31 UTC

Plenty of raw materials orbiting earth. All the dead sattelites and so on... for the beginning we could scavage a bit and do some housekeeping @orbit. After that modular lego blocks and design.

Melting things is easy and tons of electrical components out there.

Sounds like a nice challenge.

P.S.: Tesla might help and we can help them.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 04:25 UTC

There are many good ideas here, but we have to focus in real possibilities: We need first a little space station to make tests and develop the technologies that we're goin to use. Second we can build a bigger space station as a bridge to go to the moon or mars for the astronauts, it could be a great experence for tourist and people in general, it will give us money to develop more projects an build more stations and... It will take time.

I really want to see this nation be real, but we have a hard work in front of us and we have to face it.

Have a nice day.

Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 15:46 UTC

Me gusta la idea del Barco y de las Velas, Como Toda embarcación Debe Tener su Puerto y Los Puertos se Eligen Según la Facilidad y La protecion Que Brinda una SUS naves ... Las Lunas Excelentes pueden Ser opciones, usarlas Como anclajes, aprovechar v Do Falta de gravedad para aterrizar y despegar, bases de Como, Depósitos, refugio, colonias, Como fuente de recursos, Y Lo Que Son Importantes es Muchas y están Presentes en Todo el Sistema solar. Para proteger la base y demás elementos se debe dejar ala parte mínima sobre la superficie (al estilo star wars)

Last edited by:  FABIAN BENITEZ (Asgardian)  on Dec 28, 16 / Cap 27, 00 15:49 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 04:27 UTC

I see a lot of discussion about mining near earth asteroids or similar and then building a separate station from the resources obtained. Just putting a somewhat alternate idea out there - why not combine the two exercises in one and do broader humanity a service as well.

There are plenty of large(ish) Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) that wander through our solar system that may, one day, pose a collision risk with Earth. Some examples are 2001 WN5 (about 900m in diameter), 2004 MN4 (about 320m in diameter) and 2010 YU55 (about 400m in diameter). Capturing one, stabilising it's orbit (perhaps using EM drives), hollowing out the inside and using the resources recovered for fabrication of necessary materials and components offers many advantages. The most obvious one is removing a potential threat to the Earth from an extinction level event impact, but there are many, many more.

The shell of the asteroid can also double as radiation / debris shielding, eliminating a major cost of establishing a space habitat. The necessary thickness can be created by the mining process. By having a hollowed cylindrical section in the asteroid, and providing the asteroid with an axial spin, you create artificial gravity. Covering the exterior of the asteroid with solar panels (that could be constructed in space from the materials mined from the asteroid) provides power supply with minimal need for battery storage due to the axial spin in that there are always solar panels facing the sun.

I realise there are many unexplored engineering challenges here, but it is not beyond the realm of possibility and the concept is a good and efficient one. With current technology, a lot of the work can be automated and/or remotely directed.

The UN "Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies" does pose some legal challenges to doing this, but I think this is where the genius in Igor's plan to have Asgardia as part of the UN comes in. Article XV of this treaty allows for any "State Party to the Treaty" to propose amendments to the treaty. Given that this treaty was first adopted in 1967, where the primary concern was being nuked from orbit, it is probably time that it is reviewed.

Updated  on Dec 29, 16 / Cap 28, 00 04:33 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Dec 31, 16 / Cap 30, 00 17:14 UTC

At a glance your idea of cartving out an astroid to use as a habitat is good. It is very creative indeed.