Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 14:53 UTC

Re: Wolves in Sheeps clothing.  

Last night, I was watching as the spammers were posting. I don't think it's a bot. The timestamps between posts was 30-120 seconds. A bot wouldn't have such a long time between posts.

I think it's someone copy/pasting from a script and going through the site manually. Humans wouldn't be affected by Captcha, because they can actually read and type the characters.

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 15:02 UTC

even if its not a bot the problem is they can continue doing this... since creating accounts here is fairly easily (like a said already in another post) the idea of EyeR to use Fail2ban in our forum could improve our "Defenses" . we need to make registration a little more dificulty(not at point of people dont registrate because of this )since they can continue posting various times in diferent accounts

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 15:25 UTC

If my analysis is correct, and these posts are being done by a human being, there is no present way to stop that.

Captcha relies on the human ability to differentiate shapes at odd angles to a letter. A human is not affected by this.
Registration, even if made more difficult by requiring two-step registration (confirmation of email address), would also not prevent a human from fraudulently making an account to make spam posts.

Automation isn't likely going to fix this. This is a 'boots on the ground' situation.

Mar 10, 17 / Ari 13, 01 20:45 UTC

Creating a captcha is trivial, because all you have to do is pick any task that the average human is competent to do and that no one has designed a computer that can do the same task competently. It's the tradeoff between user convenience and accuracy that is letting spambots win.

The ability to detect the difference between a terrorist, a future terrorist, a potential terrorist, and someone who will never become a terrorist does not currently exist and is probably impossible. If anyone here can develop it, that would be a tremendous moneymaker for us.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 21:37 UTC

I think there is a simpler solution to this issue, Assuming Asgardia has gotten to the point where. The nation can start accepting refugees, having an Earth based organization solely tasked with vetting refugees and other immigrants. Would be far easier and less expensive than some of the other ideas. This organization would have a huge database of known criminals and terrorists groups and highly trained soldiers or four to six man squads. Ready to apprehend any criminals or terrorists elements that try to make it to Asgardia

Jul 12, 18 / Leo 25, 02 12:23 UTC

Can only agree with Che Pierre here.

Also immigration (an artificial problem) on Earth is a big issue because people tend to look at national territory and resources as limited, but when you look at some of the goals of Asgardia (protecting the world, space mining, etc) I tend to feel that both "territory" and resources could be virtually unlimited. I get that space on a station is limited but there is no good reason not to continually expand...plenty of space in space.