Asgardian Language | La Langue Asgardian | Idioma Asgardian | 阿尔及利亚语 | Асгарда язык | Asgardian språk

Re: Asgardian Language | La Langue Asgardian | Idioma Asgardian | 阿尔及利亚语 | Асгарда язык | Asgardian språk  

By: Niko Partanen(Asgardian) on 31 December 2016, 1:45 p.m.

It is a great and bold idea to "create" a new language.

As it's been pointed out, it will be long and hard journey to do so.

Ideally, we would have our "own" language, or we could use presets like Esperanto or Lojban, and still we need to contain some original languages like English, French, Spanish, Hindi and Mandarin for example.

And there's major problem with created cultures and languages, they haven't worked so far.

Re: Asgardian Language | La Langue Asgardian | Idioma Asgardian | 阿尔及利亚语 | Асгарда язык | Asgardian språk  

By: kak(Asgardian) on 3 January 2017, 9:26 p.m.

Why we need a new language? We don't! We are all earthlings. We have our native language and some more as second / third e.c.t... I belive that a new language may be created by the future generations of Asgardians if they decide that is necessary. We have to use all our creativity and efforts to create this nation with strong bases. English language is already international standard. Stick with that.

P.s: I need to say this, because i read often than "english language have large vocabulary and sientific / technical use". Most words for sience / tech are Greek words. ;)

Last edited by:  kak (Asgardian)  on 3 January 2017, 9:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.

By: BrandenLY(Asgardian) on 11 January 2017, 4:04 p.m.

As amazingly interesting as a new and exclusive language would be, I think it's critical that we be sure not lose our born tongue ; the diversity of Asgardia is what makes it such a beautiful concept in the first place. So in order to keep our diversity yet inhibit misunderstanding, wouldn't it be logical to instead provide an integration center on Asgardia for Asgardians to learn new languages from other volunteering bilingual Asgardians? Part of what makes Asgardia attractive to me is the fact that not a single one of you are native Asgardians. All of us have made a conscious decision to come together regardless of our many differences in one common goal. But when/if we disregard our old languages for a new one, that's one step closer we are to mirroring each other.

Exclusivity does not permit humanity, uniqueness does.

By: Tzeny(Asgardian) on 11 January 2017, 7:47 p.m.

I am sure English is the best language for Asgardia for the time being. It is already used in most scientific fields, and most of us already speak it.

By: kipknight(Asgardian) on 19 January 2017, 2:58 a.m.

One important thought - there is no air in space. We should develop a type of sign language that is compatible with wearing a space suit with bumbling fingers. Perhaps arm and leg articulations only. It could be simple for counting using Roman numerals I,V,X, etc. There a myriad of ways to implement the signs. They can be for everyday conversations, not just between space-walkers.

By: Elwe Thor(Asgardian) on 30 January 2017, 8:57 p.m.

@kak dobbiamo sviluppare un (futuro) linguaggio comune perchè se ti scrivo nella mia lingua tu non mi capisci. (transl.: "we must develop a (future) common language 'cause of, if I write you in my language you can't understand me... and I've to translate :P ;))

Maybe english is the most used language around, but it's not the most spoken: Chinese is. Second one is spanish/portuguese-like. English is only the we-the-western-ones-believes-to-be-the-most-spoken which is not true.

But ok, we agreed, for now, to speak english here (disregarding non-latin writers' problems like russians, arabians, all-asians, greeks, etc.).

The problem is not which language are we speaking here but which language will asgardians speak when Asgardia will be a (space) nation.

To be honest, if I say "italian", I think the most of you will scream "italian!?! and WHY???"... exactly the same as I'm screaming "l'inglese?!? e PERCHE'?!??".

So, to choose something which won't have others' opposition (and I'll do my opposition to english as official Asgardia's language), I'm voting for a "third party" one, a forged language but well known in the world: Esperanto.

That's 'cause of I think it's unfair you all have to learn italian, and we all have to learn english as a motherlanguage.

By: dashrem(Asgardian) on 5 February 2017, 2:54 p.m.

We could pick any language to be taught to children aboard Asgardia. We could decide to make it Old Norse, following suit with the Norse naming convention. I would not expect any of the people who are creating Asgard today to learn a new language. It's an extremely time consuming operation unless you can be fully immersed. That's not possible when you're trying to build a space fairing nation from scratch. However, when Asgardia is home to a notable population, a language can be discussed. It would be much easier to teach and learn in that environment. Trying to discuss this here is a distraction at best.

By: Elwe Thor(Asgardian) on 27 February 2017, 2:12 p.m.

Nonetheless I'll try to learn Esperanto, in a near future, as I think it should be the European Union's official language (even more after Brexit). Thus I hope it will be chosen by asgardian's people too, but that's quite unrelated to the reason I'll do, even if this reasons are valid for Asgardia too.

By: Phicksur(Asgardian) on 27 February 2017, 3:09 p.m.

We do not NEED a new language.

I expect, however, as our experiences diverge from terrestrials, that differences and adaptations to new languages will cause a new language to develop naturally, regardless.

By: Elwe Thor(Asgardian) on 28 February 2017, 2:35 p.m.

@Phicksur

I expect, however, as our experiences diverge from terrestrials, that differences and adaptations to new languages will cause a new language to develop naturally, regardless.

That's exactly why we should explicitly plan to have another language: better to drive the change than to follow.
All apart: the new language won't probably be spoken in a few, maybe not by us: it's meant to help future space residents, as far as I know.

By: Chris James(Asgardian) on 20 March 2017, 6:13 p.m.

A living language will eventually be created with the Asgardian Culture, most likely through assimilation, e.g. Spanglish. I agree with the fact that choosing one language over another, that was culturally created, may not be in the best interest for Asgardia at present. Elwe Thor is correct that we must drive the change, just as Dashrem is correct about Asgardia being able to teach one/multiple languages.

It has been suggested to use Esperanto: artificially created, has been used for over a century, and has a clear structure. Esperanto even has non-profit organizations helping to govern its living progression. When an Asgardian Language is established, many questions come into play: what will govern (or guide) this language, will it be government or civil based, will words have to be created (just like Chinese Logograms) for each new word, etc. Once you have these answers they will need to be applied to publications, television, texting, so-on and so-forth.

I believe an artificial language, like Esperanto, would be useful until the Asgardian Culture, being well established, dictates otherwise.

By: Elwe Thor(Asgardian) on 21 March 2017, 4:51 p.m.

@CianConan
As you can see even now, speaking a lot of languages (also called "multilinguism") creates HUGE problems: I can see that into EU at now, where being 28 (27) nations who speaks 22 different languages is creating infinite problems, not last the feeling we're strangers to each other, even if we're brothers.

For pratical uses, even if asgardians motherlanguage english speakers are 27% in the first 20 countries by members, we choose to speak english as even others told they can speak it too, that's to avoid creating a babel, so more problems than we can solve at first.

But, for the future, I think no one should be advantaged (or, better, disadvantaged) 'cause of his/her language (the same as skin color, religion, political faith, etc.), thus the need of a third party (better if projected) language to learn from scratch.
This I'm saying into EU, and this I'm saying even here into Asgardia, even if all have the freedom to study whatever language they wish. But a language is made to make people to understand each other and, as I'm seeing we into EU are not understanding ourselves, it should be better that "2nd generation" asgardians will understand themselves, not having to say "you're advantaged as xyz is your motherlanguage".
A language is also made to make persons feel like a people, and speaking different languages or, even worst, others' language, doesn't accomplish to it.

So, to use a known sentence: One people, one unity one language.