Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 08:29 UTC

Tell us About Yourself!  

Hello UK Asgardians!

With the move to the forums, we thought this to be a good opportunity to introduce ourselves and give you a chance to let us know who you are and what Asgardia means to you!

To start - I'm Sophy, and am one of the admin team from the Asgardia UK page. I come from an IT/Web Development background. I am interested in gaming, films and keeping current with world events. To me, Asgardia means peace. Giving people to opportunity to live as one, in harmony.

It's a pleasure to meet you!

Mar 8, 17 / Ari 11, 01 18:03 UTC

Hey all! I'm Dave, and to be honest I don't have much of a science background. I'm good at problem-solving, and can usually suggest ways people can improve things which someone with a better knowledge of the subject can then run with. (re-reading that sentence, it didn't make much sense, but I'm not sure how to improve it so...) I have an Archaeology degree (which is no help whatsoever in terms of Asgardia, but hey, it was fun!) and have recently changed my long-term plan to opening a small independent bookshop with a couple of friends. I joined Asgardia because I thought it was a good way to advance mankind's scientific knowledge, as well as transcending many of the things which cause so many problems here on Earth.

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 08:24 UTC

Nice to meet you Dave! Archaeology is an interesting degree!

Mar 9, 17 / Ari 12, 01 18:05 UTC

Hi all, my names Craig, I'm uk based. Workwise, I'm a security officer and I'm genuinely passionate about security and I aim to become the director of my own security service in the future, although this sometimes confuses the people who know that I've studied mechanical engineering and have a great interest in technology both new and old. I am a person of varied interests though, for example outside of work I'm an actor, I find this challenges me in different ways than the other activities do in my life. When I'm not being a security officer or an actor, in my spare time I spend a lot of time introspecting with the aims of analysing my own character and considering my actions and thoughts, I find this to be a positive mental exercise, and with that I'm spiritual based on my real life experiences rather than the teachings of others, I believe in thinking critically, but not to the point of loosing myself in such practice (I've discovered its ok not to be serious all the time haha)

Asgardia blew my mind away when I was first told about it, when I was growing up one of the things I fantasized about was creating a new society, one where greed does not exist, where work is done for the common benefit of the whole, where no technological achievement is stifled by the misplaced fears of those who simply hold more political and economic sway. I even went as far as writing my own manifesto, which i did over the course of years, I didnt even think about the challenge of financial backing (unfortunately that is the model that has been applied to our modern society), So when the day came and I realised how difficult it would be given my current position in life I decided to stick that one on the metaphorical shelf. Seeing that this could be what I had dreamed of is awesome! Even if its not me whos doing it, in the end its not about any of us as individuals, its about what we want for the future! For me its about being more than the labels the average human being carries from day to day, its about looking to a future where any problem can be solved, not just the ones that fit into the box of 'standardisation by consensus' sealed with the stamp of 'politics' we should be free to advance ourselves, even if it means setting ourselves apart from the rest for a little while, in the end our efforts will benefit all so long as we are true to the very concept of this type of society, and more importantly, to ourselves. We are more than what our societal programing would have us believe folks, and I mean that from a very practical and realistic stand point.

Craig.

Apr 6, 17 / Tau 12, 01 21:34 UTC

Hi Sophy, 

Good effort to try to get us to introduce ourselves - shame its not been taken up by many.  

It looks like I am in an Asgardian minority in two respects - by gender and age!   I am an engineer and project director working primarily in the healthcare sector.  I've lived and worked in a few places around the world, which I like to think gives me a wider view on world affairs and might be one reason why Asgardia appealed to me.  Its a fascinating thought experiment that I would like to see succeed - the constitution and the way the vote is handled is a key test. 

Best wishes,

Katie

Jun 8, 17 / Can 19, 01 21:58 UTC

Hi, 

I am currently studying embedded systems development, due to start my 3rd and final year this September. The aim will then be to move onto an MSc in space engineering, but that is dependant upon surviving my bachelors.  

I'm 34, married, with three kids. I am an Army veteran, having served for 7yrs after leaving school, but it wasn't until I left that my passion for technology really began. For a period I was a "stay-at-home" dad and when Thomas the Tank Engine was all I could think about I decided that enough was enough and headed back to school. I will admit that my intention was to study a new degree that was aimed at producing "work-ready" IT consultants. My sole aim was to be able to provide for my children and as I'm sure you're aware: consultants get PAID!..  

I can't remember what it was that caused me to change track, probably something political happening at the time, but instead I ended up changing track and made a conscious decision that I could do more than just give my kids a car at 18, that I should! So I changed my course during the summer prior to my first semester. Now I aim to move into the space industry with the purpose to get humanity off of this rock. There are to many people intent on ruining the planet for those to come, just so they can die with a large bank balance (because it'll matter then).  

Finding Asgardia this afternoon (via IFLS on FB) was like finding a new home. As I have perused the pages I've realised that the last two years I've been working towards the ideals that I'm reading on here. Now I just have to convince the family HAHA...  

Danny.

Jun 12, 17 / Can 23, 01 13:27 UTC

Hi All, Greetings from North Wales

I am currently on my final year of my mechanical engineering degree and also currently hold the position of design technician in a manufacturing plant and I'm probably in the younger age bracket for Asgardia. Sci-fi has always been a favourite genre of mine and I have wanted to be apart of a group like Asgardia for a while working with others to advance human civilisation. I have an interest in technology of most fields, space in general, books, gaming of all types.

Nice to meet you all!

Rhys

Jul 15, 17 / Vir 00, 01 16:04 UTC

Hi I am Marcus, I am from a IT background specializing in communications from ULF to Super high and light communications, I am also involved in resilience planning for natural disasters and am a Community Councilor for my local town, which is Saltcoats, North Ayrshire in Scotland. I am married and have small children (2 and one on the way) I also have an interest in not just normal weather but space weather too.

Marcus - MM0ZIF

Sep 9, 17 / Sco 00, 01 04:21 UTC

Apologies everyone, for the late intro. I've been spending most of my time in the General forum. Some spirited people there. I love what Asgardia stands for. It's astonishing that we are privileged enough to not just see this happen, but to be a part of it.

I'm a science student with the Open University, going for an honours in Astronomy and Planetary Science. I teach GCSE math and work in Autistic care.