Cap 23, 00 / Dec 24, 16 21:11 UTC

Re: Forum Feedback/Suggestions List  

Hi guys,

Could we allow access on forums posts like we can grant access on google docs, that way users who come together and want to build on ideas can build proposals on the forums in one place and official can keep an eye on whats being suggested.

If we can suggest ideas I have one or two i'd like to share, a ministry of Innovation (posted on Asgardia main page as per request), A SBE (forum post) and partnership with Asgardian citizens personal projects that coincide with Asgardia's primaries goals. Will leave it there for now.

Also we should have our own web browser like google, We could build one and have an app section like google, we could have the main websites AIRC, ROOM, main Asgardia site, forums, then any other projects associated with Asgardia VOA etc. The more users the more income, the more projects associated with, the more users the more funds.

Have a happy holiday season everyone.

Best wishes, Lloyd

Last edited by:  yingyang (Asgardian)  on Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 10:25 UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Cap 24, 00 / Dec 25, 16 00:27 UTC

I'm currently using X.509 as an authentication method, as only I can use my certificates, I'm also currently using it as authorisation.

2FA is insecure, becuase it ties it's security to the security of another system - and will instantly assume that any malevolent user that breaches the tertiery system is legitimate - of which there is plenty examples of having happened - then all authentication mechinisms then grant access to hostile entities, making it a lot easier to get into more accounts for a specific target. Breach one account, breach all connected accounts. That sounds secure, honest.

I'm also of the opinion that not all parts of this forum should be publicly acessible - however, I think no parts should be witheld from any Asgardians view. Interpersonal interactions should take place via another medium - possibly the PM mechanism I'm to understand is being worked on, or via a slightly more advanced communications system that's able to do more that will be happening eventually. Innovation should possibly not be a ministry within itself, but be a subsection of the ministry of science and technology. IMHO.

Cap 24, 00 / Dec 25, 16 02:04 UTC

I hope you have ever heard of U2F. Applications can be protected inside the same application domain with 2FA device mechanisms ( Apps, Keys,... ). The intention for Asgardia Oauth Providers is not to grant access by roles, it's to identify citizen identities, that may authorize citizens to register elsewhere without binding an account to another. Nevermind, your judgement is done.

My "Security Vision" is turning Asgardia.space into a Authorization Endpoint but not turning it into another Account-Hub (like Google, Facebook, Twitter or Github). Oauth could help here to commit data back to the authorization endpoint to be verified by a authority and stored later. It's all about the concept, not the common use of a specific technology.

Updated  on Cap 24, 00 / Dec 25, 16 02:05 UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cap 24, 00 / Dec 25, 16 03:49 UTC

U2F solves a different issue to the one I highlight. Insulating one software's use of 2FA from another piece of software does not stop a service authorised in the chain becoming compromised, and thusly allowing hostile actors to authenticate using those details. Which will then give them seamless access to all.

Cap 24, 00 / Dec 25, 16 10:30 UTC

Well lets end this discussion with a link to not longer run into off-topic: https://pages.nist.gov/800-63-3/sp800-63b.html

Have a nice day.

Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 04:26 UTC

Some additional improvements:

1. The "Unread Topic" View should show the forum-path for each topic ( i would recommend a 85% font size for that information ) (UI Improvement)
  2. Forums with unread topics and unread topics should have a Different color in the list views. (UI Improvement)
  3. Locked topics should have a locked icon instead of the attached circled "x". f.ex.: http://fontawesome.io/icon/lock/ (UI Improvement)
  4. Forums in list views should describe their purpose. (UI/UX Improvement)
  5. The "Subscribe" button should use AJAX/AJAJ for its purpose, a fly-over or modal should ask for confirmation. The page change is avoidable. (UX Improvement)

Optional things that might be handy:

1. Logged-In Users should be able to request stickies inside the interface ( this feature depends hardly on the decision of the moderation team )
  2. A "open polls" view should be implemented. Maybe 2 different kind of polls ( important / regular ), so moderator could "stick" polls in that view by marking it important.
  3. horizontal divider between replies listed above the reply editor.
  Updated  on Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 05:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 15:46 UTC

Since the inline links are not working and the list was growing very big, I decided to try out a new formatting style to fix the size and links. Let me know what you think.

Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 17:59 UTC

One thing i want to add also:

The unread topic view should be more manageable. I personally wouldn't know when some new topics has arrived in forums i don't want or i can't participate ( because of the language ). Therefore i suggest to make forums and sub-forums subscribable. The way this can be achieved could be a subscription blacklist ( at the database ) that blacklists forums from the unread topics view. Otherwise the unread topics feature went unusable to me.

@MaskedChimp: the new style looks good :)

Updated  on Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 18:00 UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 19:48 UTC

Have a subforum that allows the user to see all recent threads regardless of the threads category. I feel as though this woul expand peoples horizons.

Have different themes for the forums, I tend to like dark themes becuase they burn my retnas less :)

Last edited by:  Elxroid (Asgardian, Interest Mod)  on Cap 25, 00 / Dec 26, 16 19:49 UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aqu 01, 01 / Jan 1, 17 01:20 UTC

Better have some spam prevention plugins installed

Aqu 03, 01 / Jan 3, 17 19:11 UTC

Think about online chatrooms and ability to pass file Think about likes of topics to know its wheight About some picture that can viewed directrly in topics A tree or other pattern to found nearest citizen charactristic and mind

Aqu 13, 01 / Jan 13, 17 19:55 UTC

I think, it will be helpful to have some sort of "New Official Topics" in addition to "Trending & Recent Posts", where we can find all of the latest forum announcements, "official posts" from ministries and threads from Civic.Asgardia, for example.

Sorry if this have been already mentioned.

Aqu 15, 01 / Jan 15, 17 16:12 UTC

add morocco Region

Pis 03, 01 / Jan 31, 17 23:48 UTC

Hello,

I stumbled upon this topic after reading "Changes in the Pipeline" at https://asgardia.space/en/forum/forum/feedback-11/topic/changes-in-the-pipeline-777/.

While all the suggested features are great, that immediately looked to me to be a huge waste of resources that could be better used to improve the Asgardia website itself.

It appears to me the IT team behind this website is essentially being asked to develop a whole forum from the ground up. That is an immense task to undertake; one that many more mature solutions have already tackled in far greater depth than any isolated team ever could. phpBB, vBulletin, Discourse, SMF are the most common packages available in that domain. I have seen them used by lots of websites that also have a separate user database like Asgardia has. These packages provide regular updates, especially to thwart security-related attacks that are certain to creep in when an isolated IT team tries to implement a forum on its own.

I hope my message did not seem condescending / offensive; my intention is only to see Asgardia prosper. Best regards