Mar 12, 17 / Ari 15, 01 16:48 UTC

Re: Decree N2 by The Asgardia Head of Nation - Asgardian Calendar!  

But if "detaching" from Earth orbit when measuring time - why move to Jupiters?

Wouldn't it make more sense to use base 10?

Mar 12, 17 / Ari 15, 01 18:38 UTC

Out of casual curiousity, where'd you get "moon colony" from?

Mar 12, 17 / Ari 15, 01 19:16 UTC

I would of suggested near Earth orbit, myself. It's closer and therefore easier to get to, and presents about the same amount of challenge. The only significant advantages I can see to a moon colony would be the ability to use the moon itself as a heatsink, which would only make the construction a couple of megatonnes lighter.

Mar 13, 17 / Ari 16, 01 00:51 UTC

Possibility - AFAIK there's no "exploration" occured on these, it's questionable if it'll be possible to seal against them - but it should be possible to build inside a hollow carved out inside. If it's structurally sensible to consider it. How would you intend on getting the regolith 3D printable? The about 13% of it that's iron would mean you'd need to process about 113 tonnes of material to get one tonne of iron, at best... I've not seen sillicon 3D printable unless previously bonded to polymers, and I don't think that's incredibly suitable. Don't think there's much else you've got up there, or in too low quantities to be useful.

Updated  on Mar 13, 17 / Ari 16, 01 02:20 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time
Reason: Typo

Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 12:22 UTC

Hello, my opinion on this calendar is negative. To pretend to be a lunar calendar, you have to take into account ... the Moon, so you have to adapt the days to your movement, putting, for example, the days of full moon as the first day of the month. It is a confusing and impractical calendar. I do not quite understand what its purpose is. I guess in space, time is not ruled by the Moon ....

Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 16:01 UTC

Where does it say it is trying (or "pretending") to be a lunar calendar? I see the similarities in 28 days and 13 months, but just because they are similar doesn't mean one is trying to be like the other.

Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 21:52 UTC

Everyone knows that the 28-day calendars are lunar ....

Mar 14, 17 / Ari 17, 01 22:01 UTC

Would be more interesting a stellar date, the star trek style...

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 14:06 UTC

I'd have to agree that this new "calendar" only serves to complicate and confuse and unfortunately its one of many frivolous and resource wasting ideas that I've seen since this forum started, I am most definitely looking everybody who brought up making a new language. Things like language and calendars are expressions of natural cultural differences that grow over time, to just say "oooh! I wanna be different lets make our own language and calendar then we can all wear our shorts on our heads instead of hats!" Its not different, its juvenile.

And now for my bit of constructiveness, so to speak, if we must change our calendar might I suggest the Holocene Calendar crafted by Cesare Emiliani in 1993, it simply adds 10,000 years to the common Gregorian date doing away with the BC/AD nonsense and starting with the first evidence of human civilization.

Really, we haven't a governing body, constitution let alone anything in orbit and everyone's gabbing about new calendars and languages. I'm saying lets at least get a foundation built before we start dreaming about what color of paint we'll have.

TL;DR Stop being lazy and read the above.

Mar 15, 17 / Ari 18, 01 14:11 UTC

Actually, in order to have an understanding of term limits, and temporal cycles, it IS important to determine what a year is, or a month, so that people don't use Terrestrial nomenclature in place of Asgardian.

If someone was to tell you you have a quota of 18 tons of debris handled per month, then you would need to know how long a 'month' is.

Thus, definitions DO come before Constitution.

Mar 24, 17 / Ari 27, 01 21:23 UTC

I think that any calendar that aims to help humans account for the passage of time should take biorhythms into consideration. After all, we already have an internal calendar we can work from. Maybe humans are more aligned with a 28 days calendar, I don't know. Just a hunch. And @Juan, just because the calendar is a 28 days calendar that doesn't automatically make it a lunar calendar. There might be a number of different reasons why 28 days were selected. In outer space, we cannot follow the rhythm of the moon but we can follow the rhythm of our human biology. Just a thought.

Mar 28, 17 / Tau 03, 01 07:50 UTC

¡Saludos! It's a fantastic idea!

Why continue with the complicated and absurd Gregorian calendar? With this calendar every month is the same and every day of the week will always have the same date. It's over having to think about what day of the week you live:

This month is ending, is it Monday or Tuesday? In ten days, will it be a holiday? It has 3 days (4 in leap years) outside of the months that can be converted into holidays without having to mismatch the monthly plans, as the months continue to be the same.

Disadvantages: Not being able to divide it into quarters, nor quarters or anything, since 13 is a prime number. Although I think this is a salvageable obstacle. Start the week on Sunday. Those who come from countries with a Catholic or Orthodox tradition are accustomed to starting weeks on Monday and finishing them on Sundays. In addition, if done in this way there would be no Friday 13 ...

So, I think this calendar would help a lot. I know it can be very difficult for some because the rhythms and times to live are implemented since we are very small but the time has come to change. WE CAN NOT FOLLOW THE SAME!

Regards

Apr 1, 17 / Tau 07, 01 09:51 UTC

Since Asgardian Calendar is modified from International Fixed Calendar, I believe it will be easy to adopt. 

Apr 1, 17 / Tau 07, 01 12:19 UTC

I still am wondering if leap days will be included. 

Technically, leap days are used to make sure the Gregorian calendar stays in sync with the Earth's orbit period around the Sun, which is 365.242 days. But then, if Asgardia's calendar is meant for a space nation (that is, beyond Earth), then there would be not much need to try and keep the Asgardia calendar in sync with Earth's orbit, except maybe for relations with Earth. 

Apr 5, 17 / Tau 11, 01 13:24 UTC

What day it is for  us December 31?

Last edited by:  Enrico Maurilli (Asgardian)  on Apr 5, 17 / Tau 11, 01 13:27 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time