Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 12:58 UTC

Re: Decree N2 by The Asgardia Head of Nation - Asgardian Calendar!  

Here you go. The Asgardia Calendar for 2017, in accordance with Decree N2:

http://skieswanne.weebly.com/uploads/2/0/9/3/20936824/asgardiacalendar_1_orig.png

Notice how days of the weeks all fall on the same date. Genius, really.

Last edited by:  John Skieswanne (Asgardian)  on Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 13:27 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 13:17 UTC

Whow some person says that one opinion is negative and to stop complaining and we already have begin to be a dictactorship/authoritharism(asgardia as whole), from the time that we are already begin to point to one or another in the face the asgardia already have fail,the great problem is we are discussing something that not even have be aproved or even be properly discussed , this is not more a discussion about tthe calendar this already have begin to be a topic about:Asgardia Fanatscism , complaning , point the error of others and etc .....

EDIT:Skies the link is off

Last edited by:  Humberto Bravo (Asgardian)  on Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 13:20 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 13:28 UTC

@BohZao:

Oops! Thanks. I fixed it. :)

Last edited by:  John Skieswanne (Asgardian)  on Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 13:28 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 13:42 UTC

I am examining this situation purely from an analytical perspective. For me, personally, time is a mental construct and, as such, has little value to me. Outside of synchronizing events, timekeeping is not really required. Age is irrelevant, only maturity (and those who are aged are not always mature). From a purely analytical perspective, what is the need for this calendar? I can find no need necessitating a new calendar. On Earth, common-use calendars are created by religious orders. Asgardia, as a secular nation, has no religious need for a national calendar.

For those who claim that those who are negative to the idea are somehow less committed to Asgardia than those in favor of their own calendar can go take a long walk of a short pier. Those statements are a matter of opinion based on no facts, stated solely for the intention of intimidation and psychological warfare. They are rude, disrepsectful of their fellow Asgardians, and not productive to intelligent, reason-based communication. Please self-sensor those sorts of attitude for the betterment of all Asgardians.

Updated  on Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 13:43 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 14:57 UTC

Pretty good job, @skieswanne.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 15:02 UTC

I am yet to see a convincing argument in this thread that implementing an Asgardian calander is necessary and a worthwhile use of limited resources. Can someone, anyone, please try to convince me that this needs to happen at this point in time, particularly given the potential drawbacks.

"Being cool" doesn't cut it for me. If you want to be cool, tip ice cubes in your pants. To "be different" is an equally weak argument for this proposal. We already are different by signing up to be part of this adventure.

I am committed to Asgardia, which is why I am speaking out on this topic. I'd hate to see Asgardia written off by other countries as a bunch of fringe nutters over this issue, particularly when the vast majority of Asgsrdians only became aware of this through an official decree.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 15:21 UTC

I agree with you, @Scarbs.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 16:18 UTC

What is the International Calendar from your point of view? I use 3 different calendar systems at my daily work.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 16:33 UTC

I think he means the Gregorian calendar.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 16:37 UTC

Cool, which variant of the Gregorian calendar? There are many and 4 different are currently in use.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 17:34 UTC

Cool, cool. So using the gregorian calendar just because of laziness and forcing the Asian part of our society to use it. Smells a bit like discrimination.

The Gregorian Calendar is by the way established in different countries as different derivates. Not all gregorian calendars are equal. Some of them have a different notation, some of them different days. All of them are covered under a standardized format, not a standardized calendar system. All of them suffer from the same mathematical side-effects, all of them invalidate when a physical origin of the calendar changes. (Earth rotation speed, solar travel time)

What you mean is an international representation standard of date and time, a standard that is loosely coupled to the Gregorian Calendar System, and invalid in 20%+ of our world.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 17:58 UTC

Cross Post!

Before any laws can be produced, communiques written, or any other form of community be established, certain baselines must be defined.

Measurements of time, mass, volume, and distance, and even the definitions of words must all be clarified before everyone truly understands what we are talking about.

For example, we are saying that Ministers are having terms of X years. Well... how long is a year? On Earth a year is 365¼ days, but in space, when a sunrise happens every 6000 seconds, some might call a day the time between sun rises. That would make 14.4 Asgardian days to each Earth day. Do we still hold to the 365 days (again, depending on the definition of a day), or do we adjust our calendar to our new concept of 'days', having over 5000 days per year?

I have seen arguments about helicopters on here that were going on between Asgardians because they both had different definitions of what a helicopter was. Unfortunately, we really do need to be this specific and pedantic to remove misunderstandings.

So, while I understand we have to agree to a calendar, it doesn't mean we need to make up our own. Sure, Westerners might be ticked if we don't use the Gregorian they are so familiar with, and Chinese might be ticked if we don't use the Chinese calendar they are familiar with (despite the fact that the Gregorian calendar is the official calendar of the Chinese government), and gods forbid we don't properly calculate someone's religious holiday correctly or there will hell to pay.

Updated  on Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 17:59 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 18:08 UTC

I feel indifferent to the proposal. An Asgardian calendar is probably prudent, but this is pretty much a standard alternative earth calendar. If it does get adopted, I'm fine with it. But I'd prefer something tailored to living in space and easily converted to earth times. We do have to deal with time dilation, after all, and a simple day-day calendar conversion doesn't.

I do like that Asgard 1st is National Unity Day. Whatever we use in the end, I hope the month of Asgard is implemented.

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 18:26 UTC

Or, the developers make a calender program which can display all calenders on earth + the Asgardian calender.

Grtz, Dirk.

Last edited by:  Dirk Baeyens (Asgardian)  on Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 18:27 UTC, Total number of edits: 1 time

Ari 13, 01 / Mar 10, 17 18:31 UTC

What incentive would other developers have to account for this calandar system in their software? I can't see many leading PIM's jumping on it.